a thrilling say at the track/re05 bridgestones

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Went out this week to a local road track. and felt like sharing a few thoughts which some may find of value.

The GT was fabulous and the Bridgestone re05 performed incredibly. The track is quite harsh and even after about 40 laps / 4 laps at a time(1.3 miles a Lap) the tires held up brilliantly without much wear which was impressive. Other vehicles included a tt porsche and an ACR viper. What a thrill. Gt's out right straight line speed was immense. The temperature still went up to 220 on the engine. One can see why a transmission cooler could be of value.

Regarding the Bridgestone tires the thing they don't talk about in magazines is break away characteristics of a tire. Bridgestone were progressive in their break away nature allowing you to explore the limits safely.
without incident. If you are looking for a street tire with the very occasional use at a track I recommend them. The GT was so much fun at high speeds.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Good reading this post about another great day at a track. It was a bit hotter in New Jersey over the weekend and my temps rose to 230 + pushing a bit of fluid out the cap, but it cleans up easily enough. And you are right, these cars are a blast to drive. I think I was burning well over a quarter of a tank of fuel per session: I tried 3 runs on a tank and the idiot light went off with 10 minutes remaining on that run.

Drive on down here to VIR in October and run some 30 minute sessions on a 3.7 mile course.

Pete S.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
What track did you go to ?
The Canadian tracks are my favorites.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Gimili. A less know track but it used to be on the formula atlantic series. Rahal, J Villeneuve were some who raced on it. A fairly technical track. 6 drivers $350 each to rent the track for the day with instructors.

Map http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Gimli_Motorsports_Park#GPS_Track_Map_and_Vehicle_Dynamics

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Were they the Bridgstone RE05 or RE05As - I heard the later were the way to go?

Thanks!

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Gimili. A less know track but it used to be on the formula atlantic series. Rahal, J Villeneuve were some who raced on it. A fairly technical track. 6 drivers $350 each to rent the track for the day with instructors.

Wow what a deal... fantastic. I am glad you enjoyed it!

I completely agree on your assessment of the B-stone tyres. Fantastic.

And the fuel thing... happened to me too. Here in the UK we usually do 30mins sessions at a time.... The GT lasts for 1.5 session so I refuel at every break.

My fuel bill for a day out is usually £450-500 (we pay £1 per litre, or roughly $7 per gallon) for 400 miles at the track...

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
RE050A's are on the front which matches the Scuderias on the rear.
I needed to gas up as well between morning and afternoon sessions.

Last edited: