A New Ford GT Acquisition....In Hindsight.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

In the last two weeks 3 things have occurred resulting in a little reflection on my part. 1. The one year anniversary of my new Ford GT delivery, 2. The GT Forum Road Atlanta Rally, and 3. The Penske Auto Museum U.S. GP gathering in Scottsdale, AZ.

Over the last decade I have told more than one perspective GT buyer that if they purchased a Ford GT AND got involved with this Forum it would change their life. More than one of them subsequently told me I was right and that it did change their life....for the better.

From the day the new GT was announced I genuinely felt and proclaimed that if I didn't get one...my life would be ruined. I know, I know, hyperbole as regards the big picture. But undeniably true as to how I wanted this old man's life to proceed. I knew in my gut from the moment the new car was announced that it would be unlike my very special 2006 Ford GT. This new GT, like the 134 1960s Ford GT's, would make history at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Most of the new Ford GT's would be acquired by a hard-core group of owners who appreciated their legacy, their beauty, and the company & men who created it in pursuit of a victory in France half a century on.

Even if they didn't pull it off I wanted to own a piece of it. And if they succeeded, the car would be priceless to me....and they did.

One week ago I lit up my bright yellow Ford GT in a garage containing about 30 others, new and old. With my windows rolled down it was a glorious sound, supercharged V-8's and twin Turbo V-6's sang out while staging up. The one hour drive to Road Atlanta in our ridiculous convoy of Ford supercars was a thrill few automotive enthusiasts will ever experience. Shaking hands and conversing with the men who won at Le Mans in a not too dissimilar Ford GT was surreal. And having Raj & top Ford executives visit might have seemed routine at the time, but years from now it will be looked back upon as historic.

The La Ferrari, 918, and P1 are all amazing cars, but they didn't race. They didn't win Le Mans. The Corvette and 911 did race and win at Le Mans but that's not why they were created. They needed to be flaked and formed and modified and changed to win there. The original 1960s Ford GT's were designed and built to win at Circuit De La Sarthe, and so was the new Ford GT. It's the closest thing to the cars actually racing that's being sold today, and that makes it special.

When it's all over and done with about 1300 new GT's will have been made. A comparable number of Ferrari F40s & 918's have been built but unlike the Ford GT the Porsche and Ferrari were special because of their performance, the GT is special because of it's race history and purpose.

A 1966 Ford GT may not be a great performance car by modern standards, but I watched three of them haul ass down the Mulsanne straight two years ago 200 yards ahead of my 2006 GT and they had a magic that transcended statistics. So does my 2017 GT.

Which takes me to last Sunday at the Penske Museum and our U.S. GP party hosted by Penske Ferrari. It was great to see Ferrari come from behind and win to the delight of all of the Ferrari owners present. I knew very few of them but they all knew my yellow 2017 Ford GT that has been a fixture at AZ auto events this past year. Really nice guys and most welcoming including the dealership GM.

After the race I spent two hours examining all of the latest and greatest offerings from Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, Maserati, Acura, Range Rover, and BMW at Penske’s massive Automall. Some really cool stuff. But there wasn't anything there on the ground or in a brochure that I would have traded my new GT for. Not even close.

Heading home, I turned right onto the 101 freeway in light Sunday traffic and there was no one in sight. Boom, a few seconds later I had accelerated at warp speed all the way back to 1966 on the Mulsanne......stepped on the brake and felt the rear wing slam upright to slow for that right hand turn, and decelerated back into the reality that I'm taking this race bred Ford GT home and it's mine. Yeah baby. Would it have really ruined my life if I didn't have this car? No, Charley is coming home to the U.S. in December and there are bigger things in my life than cars. BUT...damn this car has made my life a lot more fun, full, and enjoyable. Just wonderful.

Chip

Attachments

• GT's at C&C.jpg
    GT's at C&C.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Very well said Chip. I whole hardheartedly agree!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Agree. Because of my schedule I rarely get to participate in these events so I have to live vicariously through you all. (much like I do when my 25 year old son brings his dates by the house to go swimming, but I digress).

But the circumstances here--where the car picked me instead of vice versa, working internally with concierage along the way; and the outer body experience of delivery at home with friends and family drinking Dom at 9 am was truly unforgettable .

And yes, but for the years of participating on this forum and buying 3 GTs along the way, I doubt I would even have attempted to buy the NFGT. All the excitement created by the anticipation of a car that none of us ever thought we would see was much better as a shared experience.

Attachments

• 42147853_2128979083818995_7381161826597208064_o.jpg
    42147853_2128979083818995_7381161826597208064_o.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 467

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Amen my Brothers! Very well said! My Friends tell me “ This Ford and the Ford GT thing with all your GT friends had changed you and your having more fun than you ever had and we see it daily”. I am Blessed and very fortunate and I know it! I literally can’t go anywhere nowadays with my friends wanting to hear more Ford GT stories and experiences!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Is there anything better than opening your garage and seeing a FORD GT in it?
Yes 2!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Very well stated Chip. Thanks for sharing.

Don't you mean Rally 13, not the Road Atlanta Rally?:lol

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Is there anything better than opening your garage and seeing a FORD GT in it?
Yes 2!

I agree .

Attachments

• IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 433

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Well said Chip! Monica and I were one of those that you told those exact words to. We listened and it has changed our lives for the better in so many ways. The history, the excitement, sharing time with past and present figures that are part of this Ford legacy. We have had so much fun, and best of all, the incredible people we have met from all over the world, real first class genuine great people we now get to call our friends.
Here's to the next 14 years! :cheers

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Well written Chip! ! .. I agree wholeheartedly and I was happy an felt honnored to be part of that Caravan heading to Road Atlanta !! what a blast!..the history and the friendships continue! !

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Well said Chip and thanks for sharing. I think all of us would echo those sentiments. When I was searching for my GT to buy, I encountered this forum and then met up with several of you. It quickly became a no brainer, a great car, from a great company and with great owners.... I want this I told myself. And I couldn’t be happier. It’s been a great opportunity for my family and we cherish each moment.

WildWest

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2016
Idaho
Beautifully written Chip!

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
You are a great voice for the GT community. Thanks for your comments

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Well spoken Chip! Rocketman, there is probably only one thing better, car wise, than opening your garage and seeing a Ford GT and that is opening it and seeing two!! Some of you have that pleasure and Lord willing I will too in 2019.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Well said, especially part about the racing heritage!! Looking forward to one day when time permits me to take part in more GT events!!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Nice one Chip! Thx :)

Ed

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Greatly written! I totally agree:thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Don't you mean Rally 13, not the Road Atlanta Rally?:lol

Yes that’s what I mean but when I type that it magically changes to something else within 15 minutes! Call it whatever you like, GT Forum gatherings are always a great time. Cheers.

Chip

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Yes that’s what I mean but when I type that it magically changes to something else within 15 minutes! Call it whatever you like, GT Forum gatherings are always a great time. Cheers.

Chip

LOL Man behind the curtain...

Chip yet another heart felt story of how this (these) Ford product(s) have changed our lives for the better. Well done sir!
Having visited the Penske Autocomplex several times, I could vividly see in my mind exactly your story.
There just is no comparison despite the beautiful cars in the Autocomplex that compare with either the old or new FGT.
The linage runs deep and just cannot be replicated.
Thanks for another great post!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Well said... only had my 2018 for a couple weeks but they have been all smiles. Just took another joy ride trying to get the break in miles over with. Just hit the first 100. Time to take the GT to the left coast for a long weekend.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Enjoyed your story as well and sure you will have many more memories to be made in the 05/06 and 2017 GTs. Looks like you are giving Mr. Bauer a run for his money in story telling.