A 2017 Ford GT to cruise on normal roads.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Hello everyone.

I am one of the people who will drive their Ford GT 2017 essentially on the road, and who will want to enjoy it, while respecting the laws, the safety of other drivers and that of their families.

Am I unique ? Am I abnormal ? Will I be terribly disappointed ?

We know that the Ford GT 2017 is probably the only car that was designed at the same time for the track version and for the road version.
Would it be fabulously successful for the track, and "unsuitable" for road use ?

In the remarks of all journalists come the words of "brutality" of "without concession", etc ...
It seems that they all drove the car, only in "mode track".
No one mentions the "comfort" mode and the "automatic" position of the gearbox. Yet they exist!

Do the enthusiasts who love to travel actively but comfortably at the wheel of their 2005 Ford GT, will they «*suffer*» with the 2017 model ?
As much as I like my Ford GT 2005, so much I hated the track car that was the GT40

I must confess that I am moving from unrestrained enthusiasm to anxiety.

Why this silence ? The only positive words read on comfort, were written by the owner of one of the first cars delivered.

Have somebody a opinion on that ?

Best regards.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I must say I follow your points.
It seems that on the road the GT is a bit rough ond noisy.

All that said, I have no problem with the GT being a track car for the road sort of lihe the McLaren P1.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The journalists drove & tested the new GT on roads & the track. It is ok on the road but great on the track. It's a street legal race car. I will enjoy driving it on the road & track. I imagine the majority of new GTs will never see the track which will be a shame.Tout est bon.

Ed

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Hello everyone.

I am one of the people who will drive their Ford GT 2017 essentially on the road, and who will want to enjoy it, while respecting the laws, the safety of other drivers and that of their families.

Am I unique ? Am I abnormal ? Will I be terribly disappointed ?

You might be. A racing buddy of mine who has a lot of cars opines that a lot of these street/track cars are neither great on the street, nor as good on track as an ACTUAL race car. So when people with multiple cars grab a set of keys, they often take the less punishing ride. Which is why there are all those 430 Scuderias and 458 Speciales that are being sold with 600 miles or 1300 miles.

Soooo....if you have a change of heart, feel free to PM me with a transfer of allocation form! ;)

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
My perspective:

I’ve driven the car a little over 400 street miles now. It’s interesting and a lot of fun to read all the reviews (thanks to Dave!) having the context and good fortune of driving my own car.

First off, it is definitely comfortable on the street. When you drive it, can you feel this car’s race DNA? --absolutely, you bet! Would I like it to be softer, or the driveline to be quieter? --no way.

I also think some of the reviews are way over critical on the interior. I have the dark energy upgrade and love it – it’s exactly what you’d expect for a race car made into a road legal super car – elegant and functional without being fancy. Also although the cabin is small, it does not feel “cramped”. Headroom is at the limit for me (as it was in the prior GT) but once you’re in the car, even with a passenger it’s fine. I’d characterize it as cozy rather than cramped, which just adds to the race car DNA.

What most of the reviews highlight is that this is a unique car; that has been evolved from the Le Mans race winner to a car that is content to be street driven. And while it’s subjective, it has to be the best looking super car on the road. Those two data points alone make the privilege of owning this car a no-brainer for those fortunate enough to have the choice.

I bought this car not planning to track it, and would be extremely happy racking up thousands of street miles a year doing that, as I had originally planned. Having driven it, and barely touched it’s obvious potential, that plan has changed.

I’ve tracked multiple other vehicles, but can’t wait to see track time in the GT; it’s fantastic to drive on the street and will be spectacular on the track. RCWALP is an over used acronym, but it absolutely applies here, and the multi mode suspension makes the GT easily drivable and enjoyable on the street, while (by most reviews) leaving no compromises for the track.

Too much car for the street? Yes. But then so is the GT350R (a car that’s easily a match for the GT3 on track). And the Ford GT lives in an entirely different world. I just love it!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
:agree::agree:

It shouldn't surprise me that a fellow Forum member with REAL seat time describes the car exactly as I would after spending several hours in it.

I know a lot of people think car reviewers are idiots. As a car reviewer I can comment with authority on this -- those people are RIGHT!

I read the reviews and when I hear "cheap" interior and "brutal" on the street I know these guys are either:
A. Stupid in their breadth of automotive knowledge or...
B. Trying for extreme statements and controversy, because as we're all painfully aware these days, a story with the word "fine" in it just doesn't add to page views (and related ad loads, clicks, etc.)

Plus, I've always believed non-U.S. based journalists have to overcome a natural bias against the idea of an American car company making a desireable exotic car. Not because America can't do it, but because they feel it treads on "their" natural turf (which brings us full circle to the original GT40's awesome tale... :rofl)

Anyway, as I said in my story, and echoing this owner's word's above, the car is built for the track AND YET QUITE LIVEABLE ON THE STREET. The ride isn't overly harsh (about like 2005-2006 GT when in normal mode), the space isn't overly cramped (but it's certainly tighter than the 2005-2006 car), the engine noise isn't insufferably loud (though again, noisier than the 2005-2006). Add to that the conventional doors and two-pedal-only transmission and you could make an argument that, overall, the NFGT is roughly on par with the old GT for overall driveability (I know which one I'd rather drive in LA traffic...).

Less space means less cargo space (not that the 2005-2006 had a lot...), and higher engine noise means you might get tired of the sound after several hours, though when Angus and I drove it on the street we specifically made sure we put in in top (7th) gear at 70 mph and just cruised with a light throttle. Even the engine noise was essentially a non-issue in that circumstance. The car was...dare I say it...FINE as a street driver.

And the interior quality? Those people are f@*cking idiots. Unless acres of beautifully-laid carbon fiber (that's FUNCTIONAL not decorative) seems cheap to you. :confused:confused

The switchgrear? The alcantera leather? The digital gauge cluster? The seats? They all scream pure function AND high quality.

No, there's no contrasting stitching or plush carpet. You look around the interior and clearly Ford didn't compromise weight by going for "ultra-pretty" in the cabin's design aesthetic.

Thank god.

Sorry to rant, but I feel like for every accurate review I've seen at least two inaccurate reviews clearly driven by a lack of knowledge and/or personal axe to grind.

Of course people might say the same of me given my relationship to this car. To which I'd say, "Fine, let's gather a GT3, 675, 720S and 488 to drive with a NFGT. We'll do street and track routes for a full day. When we're done you tell me my assessment is wrong and you think the GT doesn't justify it's price compared to the others in terms of performance, design, innovation, quality and sense of occasion."

Drops mic. :biggrin

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
......And the Ford GT lives in an entirely different world. I just love it!

Great post NJS!

Ed

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Thanks for your view !

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
:thumbsup

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
My perspective:

I’ve driven the car a little over 400 street miles now. It’s interesting and a lot of fun to read all the reviews (thanks to Dave!) having the context and good fortune of driving my own car.

First off, it is definitely comfortable on the street. When you drive it, can you feel this car’s race DNA? --absolutely, you bet! Would I like it to be softer, or the driveline to be quieter? --no way.

I also think some of the reviews are way over critical on the interior. I have the dark energy upgrade and love it – it’s exactly what you’d expect for a race car made into a road legal super car – elegant and functional without being fancy. Also although the cabin is small, it does not feel “cramped”. Headroom is at the limit for me (as it was in the prior GT) but once you’re in the car, even with a passenger it’s fine. I’d characterize it as cozy rather than cramped, which just adds to the race car DNA.

What most of the reviews highlight is that this is a unique car; that has been evolved from the Le Mans race winner to a car that is content to be street driven. And while it’s subjective, it has to be the best looking super car on the road. Those two data points alone make the privilege of owning this car a no-brainer for those fortunate enough to have the choice.

I bought this car not planning to track it, and would be extremely happy racking up thousands of street miles a year doing that, as I had originally planned. Having driven it, and barely touched it’s obvious potential, that plan has changed.

I’ve tracked multiple other vehicles, but can’t wait to see track time in the GT; it’s fantastic to drive on the street and will be spectacular on the track. RCWALP is an over used acronym, but it absolutely applies here, and the multi mode suspension makes the GT easily drivable and enjoyable on the street, while (by most reviews) leaving no compromises for the track.

Too much car for the street? Yes. But then so is the GT350R (a car that’s easily a match for the GT3 on track). And the Ford GT lives in an entirely different world. I just love it!

THIS!! :thumbsup:driving::thumbsup

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I don't know if I'm just a sappy Cuban boy that fell in love with the blue oval as a kid but to me this car is just priceless. I waited till midnight to see the reviews and if I'm going to be honest I even got a little teary eyed. I can't convey with enough vigor how honored I feel to one day have this car. I could care less what the interior is like or if the ride is harsh. Every night before I go to sleep I go to my garage one last time and have a moment with my 05 and I can't wait to continue this tradition of love and admiration for these cars. Go Blue!!!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thanks nick and Karl! Looking forward to this journey!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Nick and Karl..Thanks for the excellent first person reviews. Looking forward to driving next to both of you with mine. !! #
Andy (ajb)

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
One of the reviewers didn't know how to drive a stick. Verge? Nuff said about reviewers.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Great job by Ford for not watering down the new GT in an attempt to make it more of a daily driver.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Very well described and written by Nick and Karl. The car is what it's supposed to be.