600 or 720hp?

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Okay, I finally committed to the Super Snake! Now, should I go with the 600hp or no warranty 720hp? The difference is only $4,000, not bad considering the original SS package cost. The biggest concern is loosing the years of warranty. 600hp seems like it would challenge the already weak trany issues. What do you all think?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Is there a chance you can test drive both before making a commitment?

Devil's advocate: Warranty is one issue. How about drivability and over-all maintenance requirements? Will there be a difference in who you can take it to for service?

With those kinda ponies underneath you, I would speculate that getting the correct balance of many components will be extremely important considerations to make. I kinda look at it like the Hemi Cuda's. There weren't many made because the small block was much more drivable (desirable)....but the Hemi is much more valuable today.

Again, just speculating (that's where a lot of the fun is).

I receive just about every magazine that is geared toward Mustangs that could have even a remote possibility of a GT article included. I haven't seen an article yet that discusses the considerations you are going to be making.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Go for the gusto, you get so used to these cars so fast you'll be looking for upgrades anyway. If your thinking about future value it seems the high horsepower anything is always more valuable.

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
if your going to be bear be a grizzly!

Mg

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Is there a chance you can test drive both before making a commitment?

Devil's advocate: Warranty is one issue. How about drivability and over-all maintenance requirements? Will there be a difference in who you can take it to for service?

With those kinda ponies underneath you, I would speculate that getting the correct balance of many components will be extremely important considerations to make. I kinda look at it like the Hemi Cuda's. There weren't many made because the small block was much more drivable (desirable)....but the Hemi is much more valuable today.

Again, just speculating (that's where a lot of the fun is).

I receive just about every magazine that is geared toward Mustangs that could have even a remote possibility of a GT article included. I haven't seen an article yet that discusses the considerations you are going to be making.

No, no chance to test drive the cars. They haven't even started making the 07 SS's yet! The drivability is another concern. No one really knows how the car will drive! The big thing that scares me is that Shelby will not be upgrading the stock trany!

There is a very nice article in the December Road and Track on the Super Snake (page 60), but no mention of the 720hp version? Probably because they haven't built one to test drive yet.

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Go for the gusto, you get so used to these cars so fast you'll be looking for upgrades anyway. If your thinking about future value it seems the high horsepower anything is always more valuable.

Paul, I agree about the future value issue. I just don't know if I will hate driving it all these years, just so my kids can sell the thing at B.J. for millions after I'm long gone:wink

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I wouldn't be surprised if most the SS will be the 720. Most guys that buy that kind of car think alike.

Is it flywheel or RWHP? If it is flywhell, definitelty the 720.

Warranty? Not like you will drive it everyday. But will there only be no warranty on drive train, or the entire car? So if the washers go bad, no warranty?

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I wouldn't be surprised if most the SS will be the 720. Most guys that buy that kind of car think alike.

Is it flywheel or RWHP? If it is flywhell, definitelty the 720.

Warranty? Not like you will drive it everyday. But will there only be no warranty on drive train, or the entire car? So if the washers go bad, no warranty?

Yea, thats what sucks, you loose the entire warranty! The trany is a flywheel and seems loose and not very solid (then again I'm used to the FGT):biggrin

drof gt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 10, 2006
Los Angeles
No, no chance to test drive the cars. They haven't even started making the 07 SS's yet! The drivability is another concern. No one really knows how the car will drive! The big thing that scares me is that Shelby will not be upgrading the stock trany!

There is a very nice article in the December Road and Track on the Super Snake (page 60), but no mention of the 720hp version? Probably because they haven't built one to test drive yet.

There is a 700+Hp car and it is red. There are a couple videos of it on youtube, one has it doing doughnuts.

If you haven't already checked out stangsunleashed.com they have a section dedicated to the SS and the most information that I have seen. The people at shelby post info there.

I say get the 700+ car.

drof gt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 10, 2006
Los Angeles
I meant to mention the length of the warranty has not been determined. It could be as short as a year.

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
Go for the 600hp car. If you change your mind its only a pulley swap away.

drof gt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 10, 2006
Los Angeles
I believe the 600hp SS has a different super charger.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Road & Track

I would buy the 600 hp car but not because of the warranty. The December issue of Road & Track magazine has a pretty extensive road test of the 600 hp car. The super snake is only 2/10 of a second faster zero to 60 than the stock car, and only 3/10 of a second faster in the quarter-mile. With so much of the cars weight directly over the front axle, the Super Snake may have 600 hp but it only has about 400 hp worth of traction. "Massive wheelspin in the first two gears" was the reason the big increase in horsepower did not result in a significant increase in acceleration. I have the same problem with my Kirkham. It has 650 hp, but only about 300 hp worth of traction. If I was able to pump my Cobra up to 1000 hp, it wouldn't be any faster at all until I reached higher speeds where traction was no longer an issue. Even with the best tires, the magazine test clearly indicates that 600 hp overwhelms the available traction in the GT500. The 600 hp car will probably be more drivable, more reliable, every bit as fast zero to 60, AND, just in case you need it, a warranty. Up to 60 mph the 700 hp car will provide only additional tire smoke. That's my opinion and it's worth every dime you just paid for it.

Chip

I will gladly let you test drive our 660RWHP GT500 if you want to get a feel of what the power will be like :) I will soon be 725RWHP before Xmas!

Jack @ MMP

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I will gladly let you test drive our 660RWHP GT500 if you want to get a feel of what the power will be like :) I will soon be 725RWHP before Xmas!

Jack @ MMP

Where does the queue start? :biggrin

We have let numerous customers test drive our GT500. Before we did the Whipple on it and just had the 2.60 pulley, etc. it was the best way to sell our 1st upgrade package. The difference between stock and the 1st upgrade package is very noticeable. Now that the 2nd package is on everyone who got the 1st package wants to step up :banana

We have no problem with letting any of you guys do a short test drive if you are considering doing the upgrade!

Jack @ MMP

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I would buy the 600 hp car but not because of the warranty. The December issue of Road & Track magazine has a pretty extensive road test of the 600 hp car. The super snake is only 2/10 of a second faster zero to 60 than the stock car, and only 3/10 of a second faster in the quarter-mile. With so much of the cars weight directly over the front axle, the Super Snake may have 600 hp but it only has about 400 hp worth of traction. "Massive wheelspin in the first two gears" was the reason the big increase in horsepower did not result in a significant increase in acceleration. I have the same problem with my Kirkham. It has 650 hp, but only about 300 hp worth of traction. If I was able to pump my Cobra up to 1000 hp, it wouldn't be any faster at all until I reached higher speeds where traction was no longer an issue. Even with the best tires, the magazine test clearly indicates that 600 hp overwhelms the available traction in the GT500. The 600 hp car will probably be more drivable, more reliable, every bit as fast zero to 60, AND, just in case you need it, a warranty. Up to 60 mph the 700 hp car will provide only additional tire smoke. That's my opinion and it's worth every dime you just paid for it.

Chip

Chip,

Thank you for your honest opinion. I got the same feeling when I read R&T. I think the only major value with the 720hp is future value.

Thanks again,

Jim

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA

Jack @ MMP

Jack,

Thanks for the offer! However, since I have a non-refundable $10,000 deposit over at SAI, I wouldn't be a future customer soon. I don't want to waste your time. But that is very nice of you:thumbsup