3rd brake light upgrade

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
A long time ago, I remember guys discussing an upgrade to the upper brake light. Yes I did a search, but the new search is not my friend.

Has anybody recently upgraded the upper light for brightness or pulsating mode? If so, are some units better than others? Any glitches making them work correctly?

Over the weekend I had a couple of instances where I believe the car behind me either couldn't see my brake lights or were completely not paying attention and had difficulty stopping in time. I Would like to have something that will show up on their phone screen (while they are filming me) when I brake.

Reactions: GT@50

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Here is an example. Looks like a lot of hardware to jam into the opening.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
SuperbrightLEDs.com sells that brake light strobe, and others too.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks Pete,

Anyone who has done it know if one system fits better than others? I vaguely recall it was a hurdle for the earlier versions.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
PS, I know this is a pipe dream. Any chance any of these systems are from someplace other than China?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have had the Gomingo setup since 2012 and never had issues. The small light pulsar fits into a tube of your choosing and tucks well.

6A7592F8-AE12-4DEE-9243-033314747508.jpeg

Reactions: 2112

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Here is a close up....the entire component fits as depicted in the blue circle:

F0098328-0E28-4809-B110-F99E01A7F009.jpeg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Art, Are you using the OEM bulb or are you using LED bulbs?

Thanks for the picture. I will look up Gomingo.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I am using the original bulb. It’s Gominigo.com

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
All I found for Gominigo was no-drill license plate holders.

But I found this one MINI Cooper S Third Brake Light Pulsar - Madness Motorworks

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Pulsing, Not Flashing Third Brake Lights | Pulse The Safer Braking Technology (pulseprotects.com)

Another source

Edit, looks like they don't sell to consumers.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Does the FGT use a 3rd brake light from another more abundant model?

Art's install looks sanitary but I am hoping to have brighter LED's too.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
3rd light b.jpg3rd light b.jpg

Looks like it is a sealed unit. So apart from having something custom made, it looks like pulsating is probably all we can get.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
All I found for Gominigo was no-drill license plate holders.

But I found this one MINI Cooper S Third Brake Light Pulsar - Madness Motorworks
That’s the same unit I have....it has a few settings....I have mine set so that it does not pulsate every time I hit the brakes during heavy traffic. There is an interval setting so it does not become annoying.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That’s the same unit I have....it has a few settings....I have mine set so that it does not pulsate every time I hit the brakes during heavy traffic. There is an interval setting so it does not become annoying.

In the description it says it requires LED Bulbs. Does that mean our OEM lights are LED?

They look like they are.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I haven’t checked to be sure, but here’s how you can check: LEDs turn on and off instantly and sharply. Incandescents have a little warm up and cool down time, perhaps a couple tenths of a second or so. So they go on and off “softer.” Have someone step on the brakes while you stand behind to check their behavior.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
A long time ago, I remember guys discussing an upgrade to the upper brake light. Yes I did a search, but the new search is not my friend.

Has anybody recently upgraded the upper light for brightness or pulsating mode? If so, are some units better than others? Any glitches making them work correctly?

Over the weekend I had a couple of instances where I believe the car behind me either couldn't see my brake lights or were completely not paying attention and had difficulty stopping in time. I Would like to have something that will show up on their phone screen (while they are filming me) when I brake.
They were too busy drooling and gaucking at your car to notice you breaking…..

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast

They were too busy drooling and gaucking at your car to notice you breaking…..

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Original 3rd light kit was set up by Pe2unia if memory serves me right