3.90 ratio thoughts?

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Hi guys-

I'd appreciate reviews of the short diff gears offered by Stillen. Since it doesn't change the RPM drop between gears, and the car is pretty torquey, how much does it change the feel of the car?

Thanks.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
CP - I had the 3.9 installed earlier this year. And my experience is:

The around town moderate driving is much improved. Uses more 3-4 rather than 1-2. Plus you get to practice the heel-toe, blip the throttle, more often.

The torque is so plentiful, the higher diff. gearing doesn't require the old "down shift to pass" scenario. Just use the go pedal. Helps to have the pully/tune set up too.

Highway/freeway speeds the engine rpm is 500-600 higher. 70 in 6th is about 1900/2,000.

To me there is no down side to the 3.9. I like it a lot.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
To some folks, braging rights are significant. How is top speed effected and in what gear is it achieved?

Last edited:

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
To some folks, braging rights are significant. How is top speed effected and in what gear is it achieved?

This gear change would still allow 220 if you had the HP for it. If you had monster HP and wanted higher speeds the original gearing would be the right idea.

I can't imagine any situation where I would personally drive a GT or any other car over 140-150, regardless of how many HP I ended up with, so the shorter gear sounds preferable to me.

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I'd love to have the 3.90:1 gear set in mine too, but unless I I have T/A problems (doubtful), I'll probably just leave well enough alone...

I'm sure it would make a huge difference for my driving style, but also is not an easy install, cost vs smile factor, pros and cons...

How much ET would you trim off the 1/4 mile times with the lower gear set?

mardyn

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
How much ET would you trim off the 1/4 mile times with the lower gear set?

mardyn

Quarter mile time would be worse due to the need to shift to fourth.

Ford chose 1st gear for optimum 0-60 time, and 3rd gear for optimum 1/4 mile.

Pretty smart from a marketing point of view.

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I've only had it for about a month, and I like it for all the same reasons discussed in the earlier post referred to above. And, since there was no extra labor involved, I changed over to the Stillen clutch, also a very nice piece. No more long pedal travel, and a gear ratio that is much more fun to drive is a good combination. I think they have only 4 of these gear sets left, and that will be it. Stillen told me that they will not be getting any more. If you are thinking about it, I would snap them up before they're gone or you may regret it later. They honored the "special" price from last December as well.

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
I've had the Stillen 3.90/clutch setup along with a pulley/tune and short shifter since last May and absolutely love the final result. It makes for a totally different driving experience that is much more involving and works great both at the track and for daily driving. Many of my miles since then have been track related, but I have also driven a lot of miles get to/from the track and just around town. I feel that this along with adjustable suspension is what the car was originally envisioned as being like. Great stuff.

michael

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've only had it for about a month, and I like it for all the same reasons discussed in the earlier post referred to above. And, since there was no extra labor involved, I changed over to the Stillen clutch, also a very nice piece. No more long pedal travel, and a gear ratio that is much more fun to drive is a good combination. I think they have only 4 of these gear sets left, and that will be it. Stillen told me that they will not be getting any more. If you are thinking about it, I would snap them up before they're gone or you may regret it later. They honored the "special" price from last December as well.

What is the special price?

John

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Thank you very much for the kind words everyone. I am glad to hear that you are all happy with the results of the 3.9 gear change.

Actually at this time I only have two sets left and one of them is spoken for.

The last gear set can be had for the december special of $6,643.00 (not including labor.)

If there is sufficient interest in another production run I can see what I can organize but as it stands now we will not be doing another production batch. We went back to Ricardo to get another batch made and they wanted to raise the price 30% and had some other absurd demands so we have decided that the original 25 cars will be even more unique.

However, if there are enough people interested and are willing to put down a deposit to reserve a gearset I have contacted a company that specializes in ring and pinion sets for race cars who have expressed interest in making these.

Thanks!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
pm sent.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
We went back to Ricardo to get another batch made and they wanted to raise the price 30% and had some other absurd demands so we have decided that the original 25 cars will be even more unique.
Thanks!

Wow, I feel my car is one of 25, more unique than the European cars!

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
I just got the 3.9 on my gtx1, plus the racing clutch. I only had time to drive it for about 1 hour before I left town for a 2 month trip. I'll be back just a week or so before the rally. I feel stupid, it was real jerky to me, I know it's just because I don't know what I"m doing. I might need a lesson at the rally if there are is anyone willing to teach.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I just got the 3.9 on my gtx1, plus the racing clutch. I only had time to drive it for about 1 hour before I left town for a 2 month trip. I'll be back just a week or so before the rally. I feel stupid, it was real jerky to me, I know it's just because I don't know what I"m doing. I might need a leason at the rally if there are is anyone willing to teach.

It's not the gears and most likely the clutch. Racing clutches tend to be grabbier and have a quicker takeup than the stock one.

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Thanks BlackICE, thought that was it, I'm sure I just need some more time to get the feel. I'm missing the GT more than anything while on my trip. I'll be behind the wheel the day I get back. Don't want to make a total fool of myself at the rally.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Thanks BlackICE, thought that was it, I'm sure I just need some more time to get the feel. I'm missing the GT more than anything while on my trip. I'll be behind the wheel the day I get back. Don't want to make a total fool of myself at the rally.

Its the clutch. The stillen is an ON / OFF style clutch. Once you adjust to it, you will LOVE it! :thumbsup

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Agreed! It is the clutch itself. It takes a little getting used to as the pedal travel is greatly decreased and now you can actually feel when it is engages/disengages. Also, you have the STILLEN Stage 1 street performance clutch. The Stage 2 racing clutch is a bit more difficult to get used to the release point but once you get used to it you will be very smooth with it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Stillen-Ricardo gears

I thought everyone was sold out of the Stillen-Ricardo gears. They only made around 25 sets. If there is a second set made someday it'll cost more!

With the stock gears the stock engine would not go over 200 mph in 6th. The top speed was obtained in 5th. With the lower gears 6th gear is now usable. Top speed may be the same.

I'm not so sure that 1/4 mile times would be worse as the higher gears require more clutch slipping to launch.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Stillen-AP clutch

Its the clutch. The stillen is an ON / OFF style clutch. Once you adjust to it, you will LOVE it! :thumbsup

My Stillen-AP clutch is as easy to use as the stocker. It may actually be easier! Not an ON/OFF style clutch. I would never go back to the stock clutch.

Ed