3:90 Gear

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
I was wondering who does installs of the 3:90 gear. I live in Nebraska so I am sure I will have to travel, I am fine with that I just want it done right.

Thanks
Ted

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was wondering who does installs of the 3:90 gear. I live in Nebraska so I am sure I will have to travel, I am fine with that I just want it done right.

Thanks
Ted
I would recommend The GT Guy, LLC or Shadowman! You won't be disappointed with either - they're the best!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Stillen does this change over. Has Riccardo trained tech's.

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Great, thanks

Ted

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
THughes,

I applaud your decision on the gears - something I will consider as well. Ford had many parameters to balance when building the GT. Knowing that supercars are often (if not inappropriately) measured by their 0-60 performance, Ford opted to make the gearing such that a 1-2 shift was not needed.

I believe a 3.90 gear set will make the car "feel" a lot better for the enthusiast.

I would recommend Stillen to do the work because they have been trained by Ricardo and they have done several already. You can either ship your car to them or, alternatively, you can ship only the transaxle to them if you have a local mechanic that you know and trust.

Please let us know your assessment if you elect to go through with this mod!

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Thughes,

Please feel free to contact me directly at 888-222-2702 ext. 173 or if you prefer email you can email me at kmillen@stillen.com. When developing the 3.90 gear ratio for the GT Ricardo demanded that we would be the only authorized installer in the world. Our technicians were trained by the guy that engineered and developed the transaxle for these cars.

As nota4re pointed out you can either send us the car or just the transaxle. We have had a few experiences where the car was being worked on by the GT guys or Shadowman and they would just send us the transaxle.

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks again, we have a standing mile run with the SORC in August. The first time I took the car there it was bone stock and I ran 175 in the mile. This year I had a Whipple on my car and ran 185, I was a little disappointed in the results, I was looking for 190. My run at 185 was in 4th gear, I never shifted to 5th and didn't hit the rev-limiter. I think that the tune on my car is soft, I have the 19 lb. pulley tuned to run on pump gas. I think the the 3:90 would be the ticket to push me over 190. Looks like I need to make a phone call.

Ted

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
As a customer with 2 of these in my cars, all I can say is you'll have a huge :biggrin when you hit that pedal!

H

HHGT

Not to be a downer here, but, with 3:90 gears isn't the Tire/Traction issue exaggerated when launched? Of course with R Tires that will not be the case.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Sam, I've yet to spin the tires on my car. Kip did a mini burn out at the Rally and that's the first time they've spun. My cars have the PS2's on them.
Such a downer....:lol

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Not to be a downer here, but, with 3:90 gears isn't the Tire/Traction issue exaggerated when launched? Of course with R Tires that will not be the case.

From our experience it all depends on how you drive the car. Realistically it's easy to do a nice smokey burn out with the factory 3:3 ratio. With the 3.9 it does become a little bit easier but the car definitely does NOT become a smoke machine in first and second gears. I find the car to be very enjoyable to drive with the 3.9's. Acceleration from a dead stop is very easy, acceleration from a rolling start is much better, now I actually get to shift gears when going for "spirited drives." In my heavily biased opinion, the 3.9 gears are the perfect gearset for these cars.

If our car was still here I'd invite you down to the shop to go for a ride so you could see for yourself how easy it is to drive with the 3.9's. Unfortunately we won't be able to do that since our car is not at the shop anymore.

Since that can't happen, I'd be happy to install the gears in your car and you can see first hand how great the new ratio is...was that subtle enough??? haha.

P.S.- I have sent you a PM regarding a previous conversation we had from awhile ago...

Aug 25, 2006
Huuum

When initially presented with the 3.90 gear option I was a skeptic however as shared in a post of mine several months ago once I drove a gal with the gears in her I was a believer; so much so that I had them installed in my own gal as well as 4 other customer’s gals.

Then added to the 3.90 gears the AP clutch as developed in concert with Stillen is the perfect addition to the system during this process.

As for the mechanical process of changing the gears; as shared this is completed by Stillen by their factory trained technicians supported with the use of special tools, shims, etc. however I remove the transaxle and deliver it to them for this process.

In fact I removed another transaxle yesterday that is about to be tended to by the team at Stillen.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Does anyone know how much it hurts the top end?

Aug 25, 2006

Now it will not hurt mine as I will never see a figure to the far side of 220 MPH

IMO it certainly makes driving the gal much more enjoyable

Takes care

Shadowman

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007

Ricardo's theoretical top speed calculations for each gear were:

1st: 53 MPH
2nd: 81 MPH
3rd: 112 MPH
4th: 146 MPH
5th: 180 MPH
6th: 220 MPH

However, I have confirmation from one of our customer's that they have seen speeds in excess of 200 MPH in 5th gear.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Would this gear set help with the low rpm sluggishness a twin turbo has without robbing too much top speed?

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Would this gear set help with the low rpm sluggishness a twin turbo has without robbing too much top speed?

Absolutely! Talk to Shadowman.

Aug 25, 2006

Now you will have to define "without robbing too much top speed"

If you looking for the true maximum top speed then 3.90 gearing will reduce this however if you remain happy with 220-230 top MPH then I would say that you would be very pleased with the altered character of your TT gal with 3.90 gears.

I assisted one of the Forum members with 3.90 gearing in both his Whippled and TT gal and I have heard nothing less than stellar comments.

Call or PM me with any questions

Takes care

Shadowman

H

HHGT

From our experience it all depends on how you drive the car. Realistically it's easy to do a nice smokey burn out with the factory 3:3 ratio. With the 3.9 it does become a little bit easier but the car definitely does NOT become a smoke machine in first and second gears. I find the car to be very enjoyable to drive with the 3.9's. Acceleration from a dead stop is very easy, acceleration from a rolling start is much better, now I actually get to shift gears when going for "spirited drives." In my heavily biased opinion, the 3.9 gears are the perfect gearset for these cars.

If our car was still here I'd invite you down to the shop to go for a ride so you could see for yourself how easy it is to drive with the 3.9's. Unfortunately we won't be able to do that since our car is not at the shop anymore.

Since that can't happen, I'd be happy to install the gears in your car and you can see first hand how great the new ratio is...was that subtle enough??? haha.

P.S.- I have sent you a PM regarding a previous conversation we had from awhile ago...

Thanks Kyle. I'm really considering the 3.90 gears but would like to drive one equipped with a Whipple first. I'll give you a call.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Thanks Kyle. I'm really considering the 3.90 gears but would like to drive one equipped with a Whipple first. I'll give you a call.

Sam, give me a call. I think I might have what your looking for! :biggrin