Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
One more turbo car joins the fray...

[video=youtube;ZAfZRBRfLXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAfZRBRfLXA[/video]

porschemonzagte.jpg

2017porsche.jpg

It’s understood the car also features a revised engine and gearbox placement, via waivers from the FIA and ACO, in order to be on a more equal playing field to the new mid-engined cars from Ford and Ferrari.

GT is a no waiver car.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Who cares, just another 6 cylinder car that sounds like crap (humor intended). I would anticipate this car to be quick. Interesting on the power plant shift. Shall we debate BoP again? (no)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, they don't mess around. I'm sure it will come out of the box as a monster.

When you say shift, do you mean (purported) physical shift or shift from NA to turbo?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I was saying the mechanical shift of the drive train forward. To a non stock location.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Wonder why the image is reversed? Also, were two cars caught testing (#1 and #2)?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Non-stock, until they sell a couple hundred "Straßenversion" units. It definitely doesn't look radically different like the old GT1 did though. Rear tire is pretty far forward. Still, there's a reason the official pics were only from the front.

wec-porsche-2017-gte-gtlm-2016-porsche-2017-gte-gtlm.jpg

Porsche-911-RSR-2017-rotationTeaserEntry-94633dfa-948088.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wonder why the image is reversed? Also, were two cars caught testing (#1 and #2)?

Reflection off Monza pit suites.

37773075.jpg

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
So, just to recap: The Ford GT is a 'no waiver' car that still needed to be approved by sanctioning bodies ACO/FIA AND the various competing manufacturers, but this version of the Porsche (deviating from production) requires only waivers from ACO/FIA, e.g. not requiring approval from competing manufacturers? :willy

Interesting to note the significant differences in Porsche bodywork, esp, the front end of the car.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I like the front view. Side view, not so much.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Definitely will want to follow this. Especially since their Le Mans GTE Pro cars suffered so many mishaps.

Vince H

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Definitely will want to follow this. Especially since their Le Mans GTE Pro cars suffered so many mishaps.

Vince H

Fluke. They are usually pretty bulletproof.

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
So... not only did they ditch the MacPherson strut in the road car in favor of a unequal length upper/lower A-arms (like a proper car), but they are now ditching the rear -engine layout in favor of mid-engine?

I guess the 911s DNA isn't "ideal" after all. I wonder if the road cars will follow suit and how the Porsche 911 loyalists are going to handle this....

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Wouldn't Porsche just position it as a performance version of the Cayman? e.g. GT/RS

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wouldn't Porsche just position it as a performance version of the Cayman? e.g. GT/RS

Would you stop racing the 911 in favor of your freshly-reduced price 718? Now with turbo flat four...

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Fluke. They are usually pretty bulletproof.

Agreed. Surprised the heck out of me. But let's face it that group can build a racecar.

Vince H

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Would you stop racing the 911 in favor of your freshly-reduced price 718? Now with turbo flat four...

And in related news, Ford has announced that its' new 4 Dr Ford GT will be entering the Global Touring Series. I imagine it will be competitive. ;-))