2011 5.0L/ 66 mustang

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
has anyone seen or heard of the new 2011 5.0L being placed in a 1965/66 mustang.
if so, what has to be done in the engine bay to except this engine? IE, remove shock towers, taller hood.....???? will the shifter be in the same place???
i have a 1966 fastback gt350 clone that i am thinking about upgrading to newer tech. i would like to upgrade the drive-train and suspension, front to back. the 5.0L complete with the new shelby 2011 gt350 engine components would be a neat upgrade, plus more power.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
My buddy shared this place with me. I know nothing more about them than this website. Hope it helps.:thumbsup
http://www.therestomodshop.com/why/index.html

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Well there are guys that do the 4.6 Cobra motors, so im sure you can do it no problem. It would clear a stock hood with out a blower on it. Im taking my 011 5.0 motor and my Clevland that has been out of my Pantera 4 awhile tomorrow to get conversion motor mounts made. Im pretty xcited, I haven't driven my Pantera since 07 and it is a fun car for what it is. Going to be alot funner going from 276rwhp @6000 rpms to 420@ 7500:) Im stoked plus it will get killer milage.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Here is a pic of a 04 Cobra motor with a Sullivan intake and twin turbos in a 65 fastback. Guy did blow threw carb on it. Something different for sure. Oh yeah Mustang 2 suspension under the front of it.

Attachments

• 65 mustang mod motor..jpg
    65 mustang mod motor..jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,186

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Here is a pic of a 04 Cobra motor with a Sullivan intake and twin turbos in a 65 fastback. Guy did blow threw carb on it. Something different for sure. Oh yeah Mustang 2 suspension under the front of it.
HOLY CRAP. what hp does it output? i see you had to remove your shock towers. is the new 5.0L just as wide or wider?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Not my car but its got a single 70mm turbo. I would say it will make 600rwhp pretty easy. They made 425rwhp blowing threw the clutch. New 5.0 is not any wider than a 4.6. Maybe a little different around the valve cover area. Should not make a difference though.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
BMF, I'd love to see the Pantera application. When I had my '73 L, a lot of other Pantera owners were already removing their Cleveland for Windsors. Isn't the new 5.0 pretty wide?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
BMF, I'd love to see the Pantera application. When I had my '73 L, a lot of other Pantera owners were already removing their Cleveland for Windsors. Isn't the new 5.0 pretty wide?

Guys have put the 4.6s DOHC motors in them (NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN THE NEW COYOTE) Alot of them had tunning issues, and they never ran up to where they should have. Plus alot of them put na 4.6s which suck. I would of done a 03-4 cobra motor in one as then you can make 500-750hp, alot of pantera owners are old school and so are the builders out there, Clevlands and windors are where its at for them. I had a nascar motor and Ricardo mocked up in mine. But todo the ridcardo you had to cut the car up. There is a guy doing a ford gt swap in one. He had to redesign the whole back of the car to make it work. I have a 74 gts and its only got 31000 on it and ive owned it since i was 20 and only put 4 thousand miles on it. I will take lots of pics. Its going to be sweet. I will eventually do cnc'd heads, cam and boss intake on it. and then it will do 500rwhp Na Put a 150 shot on it and it will rock!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It is pretty easy to make a stroker Windsor or Cleavor and have quite a bit of reliable torque and HP.

Just sayin. :biggrin

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
BMF please keep us updated on the pantera engine swap, I love those cars.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
It is pretty easy to make a stroker Windsor or Cleavor and have quite a bit of reliable torque and HP.

Just sayin. :biggrin

The New 5.0 is going to put a hurt'n on the pushrod market. Guys have made 507 rwhp Na with h/c/i, run 9's in the quarter with an stock auto and blower and minor bolt ons. I think with some better cams than stock regrinds and I could make 550 rwhp with the 5.0 with the cnc'd heads and Boss intake. It'll turn 7750 all day long with no problems and get 22mpg. The motors are $6500.00 from ford and the throttle pedal and computer is 1300.00 Make 440 rwhp and can be beat like a dog, There is some data on the internet of what these motors went threw in durability testing, 15000 miles worth of drag passes, lots 12 and 24 hour endurance racing testing etc.

Im going to be building a light weight GT here in the next year aswell with a coyote motor. More compression than 11 to 1 though, cnc'd heads and a boss 302 intake (Which came from the Daytona protoype Program) Just gotta make a billet oil pan so the stock GT oil pump will work. Pretty sure i can get a gt to weigh 2800-900lbs with out all the blower stuff, i/c stuff and with a carbon body. I think that 600-620rwhp will be attainable and it will make a killer street and track car. Roush/Yates Gets 50000.00 for the motor that goes in the Maytech cars. They are detuned to 550 hp @ the flywheel for compitition. The new Boss 302 motor designed for road racing will make 440-460 rwhp and is real close to that 550 Na and its less than 10000.00. Yes you could turn a GT motor into a Na motor also, but the varible cam stuff really makes the new 5.0 shine. Plus a Na intake for the GT is going to be expensive to have made. Im having a complete billet manifold made now for a GT motor and its not cheap......

Anyways i'll take lots of pics of the install, Motors are leaving here shortly so the motor mounts can be made. Then im dropping it in, hopefully in the next few weeks:)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am certainly not arguing how great the mod motors are. But if you have to start shaving shock towers and such, well, maybe a pushrod motor is not so bad.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I am certainly not arguing how great the mod motors are. But if you have to start shaving shock towers and such, well, maybe a pushrod motor is not so bad.

True DAT:)