19-Year Old - Goes 202.1 at the Mojave Mile in Apollo's TTGT!!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My son, Ryan, who has done the vast majority of the installation work on the TT GT's we have done recently, got some good payback today... driving Terry and Monica's TTGT through the traps at 202.1MPH which could be a record of sorts for the youngest driver to hit the magical 200MPH mark in the mile!! None of this would be possible without the relentless persistenece of Terry to give the driver's seat to Ryan - even when the event sponsors insisted that Terry relinquish his driving spot to allow Ryan to run. By rule, Ryan was required to make a pass at a speed between 140 and 150MPH to earn the right to run faster. As such, Ryan's first run was a 145.5. Ryan received a LOT of great coaching from Terry who told him precisely how to drive the car and at what RPM to shift and how to roll on the throttle. And Terry really knows his stuff. He told me that Ryan would run a 198 on the second pass with the instructions he gave him and would learn the feel of the car a lot more. Run 3 would be over 200MPH. Terry was spot on - and I think Ryan was listening well to all of Terry's advice (after all, it was HIS car)!!! Second run was a 197.8 and then the field closed for a 1 hour lunch break. Right after lunch, Ryan suited up again - received the 200MPH coaching advice from Terry, and then went out and ran the 202.1!!!!!!

Amazing! I am so proud of him... and his sister Lauren (16) who helped us ferry people back and forth to the staging area and who was VERY supportive of her brother. I couldn't be prouder of these two kids and all I can say is that there is a God and they got a lot of Cindy's genes!

Thanks SOOOO much to Terry and Monica for being so gratious with your time, equipment, and that BEAST of a car that we were able to create as if it was our own. These are great memories that we will never, never, forget!!!

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
A big Contratulations to you Ryan! That is a superb feat!
Terry's persistence and confidence in Ryan is just another example of how tremendous our fellow GT owner are.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The endless joys of parenthood!!! Congrats to you and Ryan as Terry and Monica are top notch in my book:thumbsup When we were in Le Mans Terry and Monica did a huge favor for my family and when asked for the favor there wasn't a second of hesitation where as my first request from a different forum member was promptly denied. :thumbsdow Keep that ear to ear grin going:banana

Aug 25, 2006
Congradulations and a story well shared

Thank you

Shadowman

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Awesome!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That is really awesome! Seriously, those speeds were basically unthinkable even 10 years ago for all but the most serious racers.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Pics! Need Pics!
Congrats to you and your son. Terry and Monica are great people!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
CONGRATULATIONS RYAN!! Wow, you're living the life champ!! That's so awesome!!!

Hans

Jul 16, 2008
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
WOW! Thats too cool! I would do ANYTHING to beat that record! Being 16, I have a little bit of time. Now I'm gonna go to bed and keep dreaming!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Here's a couple of photos... first one is Terry giving Ryan some last minute advice, and the next one is Ryan trying to look relaxed before driving someone elses car 200+ MPH!

LastConsult.JPG

Ryan.jpg

H

HHGT

I can not believe for a minute Cindy would let Ryan do this. And Lauren oh Lauren did you drive your M3? Nice work guys....

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congrats!

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
That is an awesome story!! CONGRATS AND WELCOME TO THE 200MPH CLUB :cheers

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Wow! Hi Fives all around. Look at the smile on Ryan's face.

Congrats to all. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Congrats to Ryan!!!

I hope to pass 200 sometime before I am 60, doing so at 19 is just so special. Also a BIG :thumbsup to Terry for giving Ryan the opportunity to do so.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Very cool Kendal! What a fantastic reward for a great kid!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I can not believe for a minute Cindy would let Ryan do this. And Lauren oh Lauren did you drive your M3? Nice work guys....
This really was my biggest concern. :willy I was more nervous about this than anything else.

I have spent enough time with Kendall and his wonderful family to know thew character of these people. I had no doubt that I could trust our baby to Ryan - and when my beautiful wife gave the go ahead, I knew she felt the same way. Monica and I feel if we could pick the perfect children, Ryan and Lauren, would be them.

Ryan has been so careful with our car and has such a passion for them I really wanted him to experience what the real potential of the car he and his Dad had built for us was. We all know how special these cars are, but we can usually can only share it in words with people. I knew Ryan was mature enough, even at his age, to understand and appreciate this experience, and thought it appropriate as he has has his hands in the hearts of these gals since Kendall got him started. (Keep in mind, I probably would not even let my best friend do this with my car).

His sister, Lauren was so cute as she ferried us back and forth to the starting line all the time nervously rooting for her bigger brother and seeing the nervous anticipation of hearing how her brother did - very cool, very touching. I never had a doubt - other than there is a very real danger in these events and Kendall and his wife were trusting me with something far more valuable than all the GTs in the world put together. It is times like these that we thank God for the friends and opportunities we have in this short life.

We have said this before and will probably say it again - we feel so blessed to be a part of this great GT family! Cheers!:thumbsup:cheers

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
HOLY COW!!!

When I was 19 (a hundred years ago!) we were just hitting 145 - 150 mph.

The cars were shaking and bouncing around, I thought they were going to explode!

What a great story posted here about families and friends and sharing and fast cars and lotsa nerve and . . .

CONGRATS to all!!

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Ryan, an awesome, incredible feat!!! Congratulations!!:cheers:banana

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota