Shelby AC Cobra Advice

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
All the CSX auctions

The current car needs 15” wheels with CR6ZZ Avon tires. Those 17” wheels are fugly.

With the budget you mentioned, an aluminum CSX is out, but you still might find the next best thing (IMO better) a Kirkham.

IMG_1628.webp

This masterpiece sold for under $200

Good points! Totally agree!

So we're "in" on the current BAT CSX4931. That being said, we've noticed a couple of issues. #1 the wheels and tires aren't right. #2 we noticed some oil drips on the undercarriage. Doubtful we'll go all in on it but we'll see.

Too bad we weren't a few days earlier. A very similar Florida BAT car (CSX4780) didn't hit reserve and no-saled at $125k. That car looked really solid. If anyone knows who owns that car, we'd love a chance to chat with them.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

So we're "in" on the current BAT CSX4931. That being said, we've noticed a couple of issues. #1 the wheels and tires aren't right. #2 we noticed some oil drips on the undercarriage. Doubtful we'll go all in on it but we'll see.

Too bad we weren't a few days earlier. A very similar Florida BAT car (CSX4780) didn't hit reserve and no-saled at $125k. That car looked really solid. If anyone knows who owns that car, we'd love a chance to chat with them.
You can still post a reply on that BaT listing, include @KICKINGTIRES in your comment and the seller will be sent an email notifying them of your comment. You 'might' get away with including a scrambled phone # or email, but I dunno, might not work. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: GTMD

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I have an aluminum CSX (4145) and LOVE it. The 427 side-oiler is precisely the engine I wanted- the small-block cobras may have been legendary and better-balanced, but the 427 is what gave the Cobra is legendary hairy beast status. I wouldn't mind having one of each, come to think of it. Anyway, the one on BAT seems like a good potential option for you. The wheel combo is easily remedied- nothing a bit more money can't quickly fix. You'll need a brass or lead hammer and safety wire-twisting pliers, and a few minutes watching some Youtube tutorials (I did one myself on my Instagram page), but that is all part of the experience of having one of these legends. I highly recommend the AVON tires. You can find a thread I posted on ClubCobra recently detailing me upgrading my tires to Avon's, but having the "billboard" style Goodyear lettering professionally applied after shaving off the Avon markings. This was a compromise with my son, who insisted on the Goodyear billboard look, but I REALLY wanted to try out the Avons (and we are both very happy).

As for the oil drips here and there- I highly, HIGHLY doubt you will ever find a Cobra that is completely dry underneath, unless it simply was never filled with fluids. I'm usually just grateful if ALL I see is a little engine oil. A drop (or more) of differential fluid is also pretty typical. I had a small coolant leak last year that turned out to be my water pump going bad; $300 and a couple of hours later it was fixed. They're easy peasy to work on, but honestly I don't think a 427 side-oiler is a great choice for somebody who doesn't like tinkering. Every few trips out on mine, I check the torque on the rocker shaft studs and take a quick "feel" of the valve lash, and every few hundred miles or so I set the valve lash. Granted, I don't put a ton of miles on it just because there are several toys in the rotation (a blessing that I know is ubiquitous on this forum). If you want a more maintenance-free engine, find one with a 428 (hydraulic lifters), or a small-block car (260/289), or whatever floats your boat (all sorts of builds out there with LS engines, 302's, 350 Chebbys, etc) but it sounds like you are after exactly what I would be after. One nice thing about a fiberglass car would be less stress about working on it and leaning too hard against a fender, and I'm always a little stressed at car shows with mine, hovering near the car to make sure somebody doesn't lean on it.

I was going to chime in earlier, but I saw that Tony, as usual, was very generous with his time and vast experience in the Cobra world and gave you all of the pearls.

Good luck!

Clint

Reactions: Special K and GTMD

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Good suggestion @extrap!

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I have an aluminum CSX (4145) and LOVE it. The 427 side-oiler is precisely the engine I wanted- the small-block cobras may have been legendary and better-balanced, but the 427 is what gave the Cobra is legendary hairy beast status. I wouldn't mind having one of each, come to think of it. Anyway, the one on BAT seems like a good potential option for you. The wheel combo is easily remedied- nothing a bit more money can't quickly fix. You'll need a brass or lead hammer and safety wire-twisting pliers, and a few minutes watching some Youtube tutorials (I did one myself on my Instagram page), but that is all part of the experience of having one of these legends. I highly recommend the AVON tires. You can find a thread I posted on ClubCobra recently detailing me upgrading my tires to Avon's, but having the "billboard" style Goodyear lettering professionally applied after shaving off the Avon markings. This was a compromise with my son, who insisted on the Goodyear billboard look, but I REALLY wanted to try out the Avons (and we are both very happy).

As for the oil drips here and there- I highly, HIGHLY doubt you will ever find a Cobra that is completely dry underneath, unless it simply was never filled with fluids. I'm usually just grateful if ALL I see is a little engine oil. A drop (or more) of differential fluid is also pretty typical. I had a small coolant leak last year that turned out to be my water pump going bad; $300 and a couple of hours later it was fixed. They're easy peasy to work on, but honestly I don't think a 427 side-oiler is a great choice for somebody who doesn't like tinkering. Every few trips out on mine, I check the torque on the rocker shaft studs and take a quick "feel" of the valve lash, and every few hundred miles or so I set the valve lash. Granted, I don't put a ton of miles on it just because there are several toys in the rotation (a blessing that I know is ubiquitous on this forum). If you want a more maintenance-free engine, find one with a 428 (hydraulic lifters), or a small-block car (260/289), or whatever floats your boat (all sorts of builds out there with LS engines, 302's, 350 Chebbys, etc) but it sounds like you are after exactly what I would be after. One nice thing about a fiberglass car would be less stress about working on it and leaning too hard against a fender, and I'm always a little stressed at car shows with mine, hovering near the car to make sure somebody doesn't lean on it.

I was going to chime in earlier, but I saw that Tony, as usual, was very generous with his time and vast experience in the Cobra world and gave you all of the pearls.

Good luck!

Clint

Hey Clint! Thanks so much for your thoughts. Appreciate the feedback on the oil drops and wheels. The 427 is the exactly the visceral experience my dad is after.

Reactions: DakotaGT

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Probably a budget buster but WOW!

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    530.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: DakotaGT and GTMD

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Wow! Gorgeous car for sure. Realizing that we're going to have to be pretty patient waiting for the right car...and that's hard to do!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Whoa! Great find. Looks like the auction just started--thanks! I was on there looking a few days ago and didn't see anything great but this one seems like a pretty solid driver.
If you won it: (y) :cool: 🍻

Reactions: GTMD and DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012

Yeah, really-- that one was VERY well-bought! That was the fiberglass one, not the aluminum one, but still- one helluva value at $130k.

Reactions: GTMD and extrap

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal

Yeah, really-- that one was VERY well-bought! That was the fiberglass one, not the aluminum one, but still- one helluva value at $130k.

Yep! My parents bought it alright! My dad is super happy and I'm proud of both of them. I think it's a really great buy too. It was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster because we weren't sure if he was going to go all out for the fiberglass body or aluminum but I think he ended up getting the right car for his budget and intended use. He was willing to stretch for the aluminum body but it likely would have been a big stretch and then he would have ended up being too worried about it to enjoy it.

I can't thank you all (my dear GT friends) for all of your advice. I have to say that he read every comment and suggestion you all made. We really took your words to heart. So thank you!! 👏

Now...we just need to get the car out to the west coast, change those wheels and tires out (open to recommendations), get her registered and have some fun!! We'll post pics once he has her in his possession.

What a great experience. Thank you all again!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Now...we just need to get the car out to the west coast, change those wheels and tires out (open to recommendations), get her registered and have some fun!!

Congratulations!

Wheels are pretty much up to you but I strongly suggest you go with Avon CR6ZZ tires.

There is a SAAC member in Costa Mesa who can shave, letter and stripe them to look exactly like a tire from 1966.

These are Avons he did for a Small block Cobra;

5AC9C1B2-8E8D-45C4-B94B-8BAC78B76CDE.jpeg

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yep! My parents bought it alright! My dad is super happy and I'm proud of both of them. I think it's a really great buy too. It was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster because we weren't sure if he was going to go all out for the fiberglass body or aluminum but I think he ended up getting the right car for his budget and intended use. He was willing to stretch for the aluminum body but it likely would have been a big stretch and then he would have ended up being too worried about it to enjoy it.

I can't thank you all (my dear GT friends) for all of your advice. I have to say that he read every comment and suggestion you all made. We really took your words to heart. So thank you!! 👏

Now...we just need to get the car out to the west coast, change those wheels and tires out (open to recommendations), get her registered and have some fun!! We'll post pics once he has her in his possession.

What a great experience. Thank you all again!
Congrats! 🥳 ... and enjoy!

Reactions: twobjshelbys

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Congratulations!

Wheels are pretty much up to you but I strongly suggest you go with Avon CR6ZZ tires.

There is a SAAC member in Costa Mesa who can shave, letter and stripe them to look exactly like a tire from 1966.

These are Avons he did for a Small block Cobra;

5AC9C1B2-8E8D-45C4-B94B-8BAC78B76CDE.jpeg

Yep, that who did my wheels- John Bessey at CompClassics/RaceWhere. Well actually, Bella is the girl who actually does the work. Did a great job with mine. I posted about it on the Cobra forum here:

Reactions: GTMD and 2112

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Congrats to you and your family! Well done. I also meant to mention earlier, Mark Starr seems to be a decent guy to deal with. I almost bought a Z8 from him and have talked with him quite a bit. Please post up something when he gets it; I can’t wait to hear what he thinks when he drives it!

Reactions: RPM217

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yep, that who did my wheels- John Bessey at CompClassics/RaceWhere. Well actually, Bella is the girl who actually does the work. Did a great job with mine. I posted about it on the Cobra forum here:

I should have known that was what you meant. 😉

Looks fantastic and I am sure the performance improvement is phenomenal.

Reactions: DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I should have known that was what you meant. 😉

Looks fantastic and I am sure the performance improvement is phenomenal.

Thank you, and yes - those Avons are definitely the way to go!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Congrats to you and your family! Well done. I also meant to mention earlier, Mark Starr seems to be a decent guy to deal with. I almost bought a Z8 from him and have talked with him quite a bit. Please post up something when he gets it; I can’t wait to hear what he thinks when he drives it!
I know Mark for a number of years. He's a good guy, you agree, and don't think the new owner will be disappointed!!!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The SC cars are very cool, but to my eye the street cars are the bomb. Mine at my son’s wedding….
9AEAE9D7-72CB-4CDD-B4F3-88EF614CD303.jpeg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Perfect timing. Looks like just the right car.

He still needs to go to the Cobra Forum and read about the proper handling. Cobras are the most squirrelly cars you'll ever drive. The big block cars ALL have more horsepower than can be transferred to the road, regardless of what tires you have, under certain circumstances. First and foremost, never accelerate unless you're pointed in a straight line. Be ultra careful about accelerating suddenly (even when going straight), and until he knows the car, but ultra cautious about downshift-accelerate to pass. All of these involve the rear tires breaking loose with bad results.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Boy aluminum is expensive! $235k with an hour and a half to go https://bringatrailer.com/listing/shelby-cobra-csx4000-2/

Edit: Sold $272k

Last edited: