ClearPlex on windshield

Idigmywork

GT Owner
May 20, 2023
Boston MA
Has anyone done ClearPlex on their windshield in the Boston area? Called a few dealers from the website and looks like most only do the paint film...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yes!!
Do it!

Idigmywork

GT Owner
May 20, 2023
Boston MA
Yes!!
Do it!
Do you know a shop in MA that does it?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
For the 05/06 cars it is hard to find. The shop will want you buy a whole roll of film. I need to start looking again cause mine has been on 17 years. Can't find anyone in the Midwest.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Do it. It's saved my windshield a bunch of times.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
My DD is in the PPF shop now. We discussed windshield film and he said in daily use, the windshield looks hazy within a year and people bitch at him about it.

So maybe for a 99% garaged car the life is better…..how long are you guys seeing them go without hazing over?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes they haze over while it dries out. Takes about 3 days. Mine is on 17 years. Has saved my windshield numerous times. In dry climates your windshield does not get sandblasted PeteK is right. Trouble now is finding it.

Reactions: PeteK

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My local PPF installer stopped doing it on the new GTs because the glass cracks so easily. He did mine no problem but bust two others

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
They have come a long way. I now have them on about 5 cars. The first couple of days I feel like I'm getting a migraine then its fine.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I have it on my SLS but don't like the distortions noticeable in the first few minutes after each drive. Installer tried redoing it but all that did was move the distortions around. Overall I feel like I could live with some transient distortions much better than pitted or cracked windshield. Will be having it done on the GT in the near future.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I use same guy as the Mongrel...he did my NFGT, OGFGT, GT2RS and Braptor.. there is trivial optical distortion but if you are looking through its barely noticeable. Def worth the investment if you drive your car.

Reactions: Nafod

Idigmywork

GT Owner
May 20, 2023
Boston MA
I found a guy from Conn that will travel to me and install in a few weeks.... I will keep you guys posted on how it goes....

Reactions: roketman and TerryD

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Definitely worth investment. Some rocks do pierce thru the film and damage the windshield. Lived in Shit Alberta.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I just had clear plex installed on my GT 2 months ago. it is a lifesaver. How do I clean it though without scratching it?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I just use the usual gas station sponge/squeegies. Hasn't scratched it up.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I just use the usual gas station sponge/squeegies. Hasn't scratched it up.
Before or after you go through the gas station car wash?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I see people on the net who are recommending to clean it with the same cleaner, etc that you use to clean the windshield on a private jet. That might be overkill? Hoping that new microfiber and soap is enough will ask my installer/detailer before I clean it...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Before or after you go through the gas station car wash?
Before.

Reactions: GT@50

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I watched my car detailer install it on a Lamborghini Aventador and that is when i decided to get mine done. It only cost us $400 per car. If you drive alot of miles you can have it replaced once a year if necessary. No big deal...

Last edited:

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I watched my car detailer install it on a Lamborghini Aventador and that is when i decided to get mine done. It only cost us $400 per car. If you drive alot of miles you can have it replaced once a year if necessary. No big deal...
Freddy. Who did you use in the valley.
Thanks.

Reactions: Fast Freddy