Up & right during acceleration...

Tomcat

GT Owner
I agree with my esteemed colleagues here. First, I would have checked the air pressures in the rear tires (which you did). Next, I would suspect the rear toe links. It may require more than a visual inspection, however, because I think the boots will look bad no matter what, but the link itself could still be ok.... These toe link boots on virtually ALL GT's we're seeing has disintegrated. It is the rubber that was used and really has nothing to do with how the car is driven... time just takes its toll. So, I'd bet money that the boots LOOK horrible on both sides... but it doesn't necessarily mean that the joint is compromised. I'd get the rear of the car in the air and then try to turn each rear tire and see if and slop can be felt, heard, or seen.

For new toe link boots, Dave (GT101) is your man. We will likely place a larger order for these soon so we can have some available here in the States.
THANKS and copy all!

Tomcat

GT Owner
For new toe link boots, Dave (GT101) is your man. We will likely place a larger order for these soon so we can have some available here in the States.
Initial inspection, the boots seem okay. I am currently searching for the Ford (4G7Z-5B551-A)...so far no luck.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Tomcat: The last time I bought some they were about $250 each. Not too bad. But get it off the ground and really push/pull on the wheels to see if there's any play, laterally or vertically. I bought boots from GT101 a few years ago too. I can almost guarantee that the boots are bad at this age. It was a poor material spec. I have boots on my 1973 911 that are 50 years old and still good.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Tomcat: The last time I bought some they were about $250 each. Not too bad. But get it off the ground and really push/pull on the wheels to see if there's any play, laterally or vertically. I bought boots from GT101 a few years ago too. I can almost guarantee that the boots are bad at this age. It was a poor material spec. I have boots on my 1973 911 that are 50 years old and still good.
I have ordered them (still about $250 each). I will try to find play in the wheels.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
How did you find/discover the break?
The issue came up on the first day driving to Dearborn for Rally #1. Lot's of phone calls trying to figure out A) why does it only push right when accelerating but doesn't return to straight when letting off of the gas And B) is it safe to drive. I chose to keep going always aware of the issue. With Only another 2000 miles to go.

One of the many phone calls came from John Pfiffer. He worked at SVT/Roush and was stumped too. So he and I met ,and John told me he arranged for me to meet with Gene on The Monday morning after the Rally was over. So on Monday morning Gene did a few laps around the light poles n the Roush parking lot. And he found it that yes it only pushed right when accelerating.

Gene then told me he was declaring the GT to be unsafe. Which allowed him to bring a privately owned vehicle inside the Roush building. A really long drive down the middle of the building. He told me we were headed to bay 62 and 63 where the GT's were developed. He introduced me to Denis B. And my GT was put on their alignment rack. Sitting still, the alignment was perfect We were all still stumped.

And after a bit of a wait, Denis said " I think I know what is wrong". He went over to the GT, still on the rack, and gave a big bear hug to the left rear wheel and tire. And sure enough the screen for the left rear went crazy wild.

Denis said it was the upper toe link, which looked OK, but was broken inside. They didn't have one in their GT parts area, so John drove over to Wixom and got the link, brought it to Denis, and was installed in my GT. Checked the alignment and it was spot on the factory spec's.

That new link is still on the GT and works perfectly. And has close to 140,000 on it .

A big thanks of appreciation to the Old Pro Denis, and to John and Gene for their generous help in getting my GT right.

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
The issue came up on the first day driving to Dearborn for Rally #1. Lot's of phone calls trying to figure out A) why does it only push right when accelerating but doesn't return to straight when letting off of the gas And B) is it safe to drive. I chose to keep going always aware of the issue.

One of the many phone calls came from John Pfifer. He worked at Roush and was stumped too. So he and I met ,and John told me he arranged for me to meet with Gene on The Monday morning after the Rally was over. So on Monday morning Gene did a few laps around the light poles n the Roush parking lot. And he found it that yes it only pushed right when accelerating.

Gene then told me he was declaring the GT to be unsafe. Which allowed him to bring a privately owned vehicle inside the Roush building. A really long drive down the middle of the building. He told me we were headed to bay 62 and 63 where the GT's were developed. He introduced me to Denis B. And my GT was put on their alignment rack. Sitting still, the alignment was perfect We were all still stumped.

And after a bit of a wait, Denis said " I think I know what is wrong". He went over to the GT, still on the rack, and gave a big bear hug to the left rear wheel and tire. And sure enough the screen for the left rear went crazy wild.

Denis said it was the upper toe link, which looked OK, but was broken inside. They didn't have one in their GT parts area, so John drove over to Wixom and got the link, brought it to Denis, and was installed in my GT. Checked the alignment and it was spot on the factory spec's.

That new link is still on the GT and works perfectly. And has close to 140,000 on it .

A big thanks of appreciation to the Old Pro Denis, and to John and Gene for their generous help in getting my GT right.

What a GREAT story! Thanks for recounting it for me (and the Forum).

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I cant see Gene doing a hot laps in a parking lot..... ha ha (he totally would do that).....

Great story Jeff!!

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have ordered them (still about $250 each). I will try to find play in the wheels.
These were the condition of my link boots at 3,500 miles. Replaced with the GT101 ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_140917817_HDR.jpeg
    IMG_20171216_140917817_HDR.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Check your control arms boots too.

Reactions: Tomcat

Tomcat

GT Owner
Ford (4G7Z-5B551-A)
Could a "GT friendly" Ford dealer/service department private message me? I understand that this part is a "k" part and I need a service dept. to order it. I am also getting conflicting rep[orts about availability.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ford (4G7Z-5B551-A)
Could a "GT friendly" Ford dealer/service department private message me? I understand that this part is a "k" part and I need a service dept. to order it. I am also getting conflicting rep[orts about availability.
I would suggest you call Tasca parts department. I ordered almost all of my parts from them. Their price on virtually everything including shipping was less than what my local dealer quoted (including discount).

Note: Some parts are physically large and shipping via UPS or Fedex is quite expensive whereas your Ford dealer gets a depot shipment that doesn't add more shipping. This applied to, for example, a chin splitter for a Mustang but would also apply to large GT parts.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I would suggest you call Tasca parts department. I ordered almost all of my parts from them. Their price on virtually everything including shipping was less than what my local dealer quoted (including discount).

Note: Some parts are physically large and shipping via UPS or Fedex is quite expensive whereas your Ford dealer gets a depot shipment that doesn't add more shipping. This applied to, for example, a chin splitter for a Mustang but would also apply to large GT parts.
I'll try them...know them well (but forgot about them).

Tomcat

GT Owner
Tasca says: Part #4G7Z-5B551-A is currently on national backorder with the automotive manufacturer and has no estimated date of resupply. We do not currently have this item in stock at our warehouse and are unable to acquire it at this time.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have gotten the rear tires off the ground and have NOT been able to induce any movement in the rear wheels...nor have I been able to make either toe link move, BUT I found this left side bushing to be "exposed".
Bushing  Toe Lateral Link - Ford (4G7Z-5B551-A).jpg

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Yup, typical. Order new boots for both sides. Remove the link, remove the old boot, clean off old grease and dirt, install new boot with fresh grease, reinstall toe link. BTDT.