Sticker shock

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It was pointed out that Virginia (W VA?, one of them) blindly adopted a law that said they follow CA CARB rules, effectively outlawing gas cars there too according to CA time frame. People are livid and want it overturned

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
British piece but pretty darn good.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I question the lack of dealer info too. The article I saw said new Volts are $40k. A quick look I see them starting at $26k and several at $31k. I'd question a Rock Auto battery though. What happens to the people that can't afford a new car, usually buy cars with 80-120k miles on them? A 10k hit + car payment will kill them. It happened to a girl recently, that I read about in another article, although I don't think she was at 80k miles.

Reactions: GTMD

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
How about 70% of batteries coming from the world’s worst player on trade, intellectual property, human rights and the environment?

Emphasis on environment.
Insanity. Imagine if it was suggested back in the day that we fully integrate the USSR into our critical supply chain. We are idiots.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
^^^^^^ Reason number 856,924,862,961 why I have no interst in an electric car (yes probably an ignorant stance, but I dont care).....
Not ignorant at all. The largest marketing scam perpetrated on humans is the electric car. I’m no genius, but I think mining the Lithium, producing and disposing of the e-cars have greater negative enviro impact then gasoline powered cars. The geniuses in Cali want to ban the sales of gas powered new cars soon, that is literately the dumbest idea ever. Serenety Now…

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
My illustrious governor & senator Here on the left coast are buy spending tax dollars & writing new legislation to go green bye 2030/2035. With no infrastructure in place, They just now admitted this was so and could not at this date remove Hydroelectric dams without crippling Washington state economy. This only took millions of dollars for them to figure out,

Reactions: GTMD

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Apologies to those of you who are unfortunate to live there, but CALIFORNIA SUCKS!

Our " knucklehead" - his favorite word - f'ing Governor, in his quest to be President, has expressed his determination to "out California" California in social, environmental, and firearm issues, among others, so I can only wonder what he has in mind for us.

Perhaps they can come and confiscate my cars and firearms at the same time , and avoid stressing the range of their electric police vehicles.

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
Great video Ed Sims shared by The car guy"s. This is exactly what the powers to be are selling to greenies using our tax dollars to buy there clueless vote. They are building some charging stations for ev's on interstate highways using diesel generators, there is no other infrastructure available to power them.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Insane eh?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great video Ed Sims shared by The car guy"s. This is exactly what the powers to be are selling to greenies using our tax dollars to buy there clueless vote. They are building some charging stations for ev's on interstate highways using diesel generators, there is no other infrastructure available to power them.

Ed Sims shared That?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Don't understand why some continue paying premium for Optima batteries. Eversince they were bought by Jonson Controls who moved their production out of the US they had a lot of quality problems. Ferrari who was using them on their V8 models had so much problems with them that they had their dealers retrofit Brailles in their place at a substantial cost just to avoid all the warranty issues they were having with the Optimas. The Braile I25X Lithium would be my first choice for replacement followed by Interstate MTZ-75DT AGM for much less cost.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
. The Braile I25X Lithium would be my first choice for replacement followed by Interstate MTZ-75DT AGM for much less cost.

Are these direct fits?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Interstate does not make a group 25 battery. Braille does but the cost is $889. We did comparisons years ago and most makers stopped making the group 25 series. Lastly, once you see what battery acid does to the front part of the car, it is not pretty.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So the Lithium batteries are wet cell?

JGT

Mar 12, 2021
"EV's are not used cars, they are old technology, and who wants to buy old tech?"
That is why there is a stockpile of used Tesla's sitting on the market. That Volt referenced above sells for about 14-15K with 70K miles.
If you have not watched this Ted Talk, you may like it:

Reactions: GTMD and DG1

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
^^^^^^ Reason number 856,924,862,961 why I have no interst in an electric car (yes probably an ignorant stance, but I dont care).....

Just got back from car week in Carmel. A few in my group friends were ogling some latest greatest new EV parked on Ocean.
I just walked past because simply
"I DO NOT CARE"

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Are these direct fits?
The Braille I25X is direct fit. Interstate do make Group 25 battery but it is flooded (not AGM) which is why I wouldn't contemplate using it. Compared to the Optima 25 the Interstate AGM model I mentioned is 1/4" wider, 1/4" taller, and 1/16" longer. Haven't tried fitting it but thought it would be worth considering. Even though the Braille is over twice the price of AGM batteries it should last a lot longer than AGM and it is about 20lb lighter.

Reactions: Kpgarage

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Interstate does not make a group 25 battery. Braille does but the cost is $889. We did comparisons years ago and most makers stopped making the group 25 series. Lastly, once you see what battery acid does to the front part of the car, it is not pretty.
Years ago I had a 1997 BMW 840ci that used two batteries in the trunk. First one was easy to handle but the one further forward was hard to pull out without tilting the battery a little. Needless to say that area was scary to look at. Now that AGM are only marginally more expensive than flooded cell, I only install AGM in my cars when available.

Reactions: Kpgarage