New Velgen wheels

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
As many of you know, I've been critical of the fact that we cant find modern tires for our 05-05 Ford GTs, and for those of you who have NFGTs, you know how great the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are. So I set out on a mission to find a set of wheels that matched the Michelin PSC2 tires. I reached out to a friend who works at Steeda since they deal with a number of aftermarket wheel suppliers for Mustangs, and he directed me to Velgen wheels. Scott at Velgen suggested their forged series and I liked the look of their 7 spoke dual block design (VFDB7) as it has a similar appearance to the optional BBS wheels. After 56 emails back and forth with Scott, we settled on color and fitment (20x12 in the rear and 19x9.5 in the front finished in satin black). I had Tire Rack provide the PCS2s (Pilot 4S's are also available in this size), which are sized in 345x30x20 and 265x35x19. The circumference in the front matches OEM exactly and in the rear is 2.4% smaller (the popular Bridgestones I replaced are 1.1% smaller for comparison).

The wheels look absolutely amazing and I couldnt be happier with the results. The new wheels really modernize the car, and I feel the rears look absolutely sick and compliment the "hips" of our cars. The new rubber is light years ahead of the Bridgestones. I also took the opportunity to restripe the car from white to black, which some might feel is sacrilege, but it goes great with the satin black wheels. In full disclosure, I am "sponsored" by Velgen, which essentially means that he provided the wheels slightly below his cost, so he can post pictures of the car on his web site. We havent taken those pictures yet, but I'll add links to them when we do.

If anyone wants any details on anything (I have a big spreadsheet on various tire sizings as part of my research), feel free to reach out.
Bill

20220430_130840.jpg

20220430_095313.jpg
20220430_084353.jpg
20220430_170313.jpg

Tomcat

GT Owner
Is the GT lowered (with suspension mods) or stock ride height?
Looks good!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Looks fantastic! I agree, I am impressed with the PSC2’s on my NFGT, and just put some on my McLaren; much improved on that one, too.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Is the GT lowered (with suspension mods) or stock ride height?
Looks good!
I had the lowering kit on it and when I converted to Penskes a few years ago, I actually had them raise it just a touch. It's definitely lower than stock, but I dont know how much.

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
Looks great! I did the Forgeline wheels on my GT with Cup sport 2 on my mine and handling and traction is amazing. Also did the 4S’s on the front.

https://flic.kr/p/2njqAqq
https://flic.kr/p/2njofR2

Reactions: JWZ

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Looks outstanding in person and wheel fitment in opening is perfect.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The wheels look terrific!
May I recommend Stillen stone guards (mud flaps) to save your lower rockers?
An excellent product
The rears are terrific too!

Reactions: BtwoG and 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ditto on the Stillen mud/stone flaps.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The wheels look terrific!
May I recommend Stillen stone guards (mud flaps) to save your lower rockers?
An excellent product
The rears are terrific too!
Great idea. Purchased.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Love the look Bill! Great choice on wheels/tires!

ottobackman

Jan 9, 2007
Maine
Hi Guys- after a long hiatus, my GT is back on the road! I need new tires and while I'm at it wanted to get some black rims. The couple of examples here look great. Sooo- I stumbled onto these Iconisus Forged wheels https://www.iconisusforged.com/category/ford and wonder if anyone has heard of them. The design appears as an exact copy of the original 05/06 optional BBS except for the color and the size (they produce 20x9.5 front and 21x13 rear). They claim they fit perfectly and no problems with the diameter. I am going with Michelin Super Sport tires which come in a size to fit these wheels if I decide to get them. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: analogdesigner

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Those tires will either be very tall or extremely low profile.

Aug 7, 2021
Hudson, OH
I looked at several different rim options. In the end, I decided to get another set of OEM BBS rims and had them powder coated to the color I wanted. Put a new set of Bridgestone tires on them, and there were no questions on quality or fit.

Attachments

• GT 09-22 v2.jpg
    GT 09-22 v2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 34

ottobackman

Jan 9, 2007
Maine
I looked at several different rim options. In the end, I decided to get another set of OEM BBS rims and had them powder coated to the color I wanted. Put a new set of Bridgestone tires on them, and there were no questions on quality or fit.
Probably a safer bet. Thanks for your input. BTW looks like we have twin cars!

ottobackman

Jan 9, 2007
Maine
Those tires will either be very tall or extremely low profile.
Yes the profile is low. The rears would be 355/25 21

Reactions: analogdesigner

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
What are the tire diameters?

ottobackman

Jan 9, 2007
Maine
The tire diameters are 28" rear and 26.5" front.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Thanks.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes the profile is low. The rears would be 355/25 21

I seem to be in the minority, but I think the ultra thin profile tires are unattractive but even more importantly, harsh riding on an analog car.

I would make a guess that any performance gains would only be appreciated on a very smooth racetrack.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: sandman and PeteK

ottobackman

Jan 9, 2007
Maine
Thanks very much for your input. I'm going to cover my original stock rims with the recommended new Bridgestones and then compare with the Michelins on the bigger black rims. I'll let you know how it performs. (I'm really buying the black rims for looks but it's all for fun). Thanks!

Reactions: 2112