Factory Pry Point for Front Coilovers

mtdubvee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 25, 2019
Beckley WV
I’m installing the lowering perch kit on my GT. Does anyone have a picture of the factory pry point? I need to put downforce on the upper control arm to get the weight off the coil over To remove the upper bolts. Thanks

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I used a ratchet tie down strap on the LCA, pulling it down (i was working on a 4 post lift, and wrapped the tie down around the ramp). Worked for me.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We use a couple of 3"x3" x .25" plywood pieces and a long ~30" pry bar. One plywood spacer between tip of pry bar and the frame and they other plywood between the a-arm and the pry bar shaft. Easy.

mtdubvee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 25, 2019
Beckley WV
Ok I use the pry bar and wood technique. Was easy. Thank you. Full day of work today. Got all the shocks off and the muffler without taking the clamshell off. That was a job. Thanks guys.

Reactions: white out

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Ok I use the pry bar and wood technique. Was easy. Thank you. Full day of work today. Got all the shocks off and the muffler without taking the clamshell off. That was a job. Thanks guys.
OK just talked to Rich Brooks to remind myself about the coil-over removal. Disconnecting the anti-rollbars makes this possible without prybars...but the front ARB disconnection is a PITA and requires a slim non-standard open end and allen wrench. So Rich agrees with Kendall and uses this prybar technique.

Reactions: extrap

mtdubvee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 25, 2019
Beckley WV
Thanks guys. Pry bar did the job.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If I recall correctly (an increasingly dubious proposition), I jacked both front wheels off the ground so that the sway bar was not loading either side. Then I was able to get the shock units out with my hands.

Reactions: sahlman and 2112

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
If I recall correctly (an increasingly dubious proposition), I jacked both front wheels off the ground so that the sway bar was not loading either side. Then I was able to get the shock units out with my hands.

That's exactly what I did. Jacked the entire front end up so both wheels were hanging, and didn't need to pry anything.

Reactions: sahlman

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Yes I should have mentioned this option (the best alternative to me). Good call.

Reactions: extrap

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes I should have mentioned this option (the best alternative to me). Good call.

I guess I've never had that method not work on any vehicle I've ever had to work on...