Trading 05 GT for new Porsche 911 GT3RS Good idea ?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just like you. Too mush British influence.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I went over there yesterday specifically to look to see if the topic had been posted. I generally find their posters to be pretty honest about other brands, unlike the Ferrari fan boy dwellers. A couple of years ago I posted a new GT3 vs Scuderia thread and most preferred the Scuderia.
I had a Scuderia,during 08/09 it was the car to have. I have to say it was a fun car. They only had a run for two years which was followed by the Speciale.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I’m gonna say it (after recently buying my first-ever Porsche, a 996 911 Turbo); Porsches are boring. I feel better now, thanks.

I also owned a 996 TT for 8 years, it is like the FGT, mods really make it shine....it was awesome fun after new turbos, coil overs, exhaust, and upgraded clutch.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Nope... No way. I love love love Porsche, but to me the 05-06 GT is one of the top 20 cars ever produced.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I daily a new 911 Turbo and it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring. Great car but can't hold a candle to the GT.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Like most of you, I’ve owned and driven a bunch of cars in my life. One of my friends once joked that I change cars as frequently as most people change underwear.

So, HUBBSTER, here’s my take: at this level of performance, it ain’t about the performance any more. It’s a question of whether a particular car stirs your blood. For me, the 05-06 FGT is “the one,” and has been since I was a kid with a GT40 Hot Wheels car, reinforced by that famous Super Bowl ad. Is the NFGT better? Yes, in practically every measurable way (except storage, which ain’t sayin’ much), but it’s still a smidge below the FGT in my “soul” pantheon. Maybe I’d feel differently if I got selected to buy one a couple years ago, but that’s moot now….

I’m sure you’ve owned other Porsches, so what makes the latest GT3 version more blood-stirring than the last one you owned or drove? Is it the kind of car that you will go out to your garage to check on before you go to bed at night? If so, then make the trade, or just buy it in addition to your FGT. If not, then you know what not to do.

For the record, I also have a 911–a 1973 911T. And despite the problems it’s given me recently, it’s a car with that “soul”, which is why I’ve hung onto it for almost 30 years and poured money into engine and suspension upgrades. And I don’t feel any urge to trade it for a new 911 of any model!

Here’s another way to look at it—which one would you rather be buried in?

Last edited:

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Radically different, unless you're a track junkie its a bad trade. And he better be throwing in cash or you're getting hosed.

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
I share the same sediment as I love Porsche’s too. Grew up with them and have had one around almost my entire life. IMO, Porsche’s are great “life” cars. They do everything well and you can take them just about anywhere dressed up or down and they work. My 997 4S is a keeper and a great winter car to boot 😀.

Keep the GT and transition others in and out.

Reactions: Roadtrip

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Last week a 2005 FGT with accident history went for 366k on bring a trailer. Unless you are in a hurry,it might pay to wait to see how 992 GT prices impact the GT3 RS value.

maybe i trade it on a new GT instead

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I daily a new 911 Turbo and it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring. Great car but can't hold a candle to the GT.
Lol!
Those cars are so sterile now.
No soul!
Hope you're well.
Best,
Mark

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Given the recent market, wait a little longer and you’ll be able to trade a 2005 GT for a NFGT straight up.

Reactions: HNS
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Given the recent market, wait a little longer and you’ll be able to trade a 2005 GT for a NFGT straight up.
I agree with you 100%. I've been thinking the same thoughts for the last 2 years, Are we delusional or could this come to fruition?

QSS

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I was sort of joking. A little.

Realistically. The NFGTs will always cost more than the 05-06 models. Only 1/3 as many built, and much more expensive when new. Given recent sales, I’d expect the price ratio of a NFGT to a FGT, other factors being roughly equal, to be around 2.5:1, more or less.

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
Just finished an hour and a half cruise this morning.

It felt like withdrawing $1 million bucks from the bank and depositing it into my state of mind.

I’ll do the same tomorrow.

I’ve done the same thing almost everyday for the last 2 months.

So I’m up $60 million

That’s my valuation.

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
So Hubbster, are you on a mission to lighten the load and off the GT or do you just need to go for a good rip in the O5 and be reminded of how close to the edge of sanity you are?

Reactions: 2112

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I’ve had nine Porsches. And I have raced-two versions of factory cup cars.
Porsche makes a wonderful car.
They continue to to evolve and produce a better car. But at the cost of making a bigger heavier one!
I much prefer what GT really stands for. Grand Touring!
In fact that’s what makes the 05 and 06 GT’s so special! A grand touring race car!

Reactions: RPM217 and F Pilot

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I agree. I’ve owned and driven a few Porsches on the track too. In fact I took an old 914 and turned it into pretty much a track car. An FGT is a road car that also happens to be a pretty good track car. Especially if you put Scott’s shocks on it.

Reactions: 2112 and roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Scot’s shocks are really terrific!