Rocker Panel Molding Screws

Jake

Apr 8, 2021
Murrieta, CA
Does anyone know the answer to the method of attachment of the rocker panel molding? The manual states you need screw and rivets. I have the screws but there are 4 holes on each side of the car that do not accept screws (every other hole). They seem to want to accept a rivet. The manual shows rivets (4 of them) which makes sense with the actual format, however the Ford dealer on their parts system does not show rivets. They show 12 screws...it won't accept screws...anyone know the answer? The part in the maintenance manual for the rivet does not come up in Ford's data base (W710814-S).

Thanks.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Can you install rivnuts in the holes to accept the screws?

Jake

Apr 8, 2021
Murrieta, CA
No, it appears to be a hole in the plastic rocker panel that lines up with the rocker panel molding, there would be no room for a rivnut or the need for one...could someone send me a picture of the underside of their rocker panel mounding about midway back and showing at least 2 of the mounting holes? I need to see if there is a rivet head next to a screw head....

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I have had my rockers off and just had the screws to contend with. Yes, there are some holes spaced between some of the screws, that don’t get used. Just use the screws. They are just held in place with the screws, and some trim clips at the ends. Just ignore the unused holes. Disclaimer: I am not the original owner of my car, so I suppose it is possible that a previous owner removed some fasteners/rivets and didn’t replace them, but I don’t think so.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Here you go....The unused holes are probably for water drainage.

B9395CB4-DE82-43C7-9595-2203F7856C04.png

Jake

Apr 8, 2021
Murrieta, CA
Wow Guys! Thanks so much for the responses and help! Really appreciate it. If neither of you have rivets in the 4 holes than I'm not going to worry about it either. Thank you for sending the picture ART138 and thank you for giving me the feedback as well DakotaGT.

I wonder if this was a change with the 06 model year? The Maintenance Manual specifies the rivets with a part # and everything, however that number is not good in the parts system...

Thanks again!

Reactions: Art138 and DakotaGT