Technical reason why our NFGT's can't stay in track mode

Oufan2929

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2015
I understand generally, but would love to understand more technically why it can't stay in track mode when parked and turned off. I'd pay a considerable amount of money to have it stay in track mode, lol. I realize that it's not possible. Wanted to understand how it works just to see if with some determination it could be overcome with a work around. And I'm not optimistic at all...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There is no workaround. You could pay someone to screw your car up trying. That’s it. I do not recommend.

The suspension’s “at rest” mode is the “normal” setting. Track mode is achieved by compressing the car’s secondary springs using hydraulic pressure, which can only be accomplished when the engine is on and the hydraulic pump is operational. When the engine is off, the hydraulic system looses pressure, and the ride height returns to the nominal setting, ie “normal”. Same with front lift.

In other, simpler words: track mode requires hydraulic pressure to pull the suspension down, and engine needs to be running to use the hydraulic pump.

Last edited:

Oufan2929

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2015
There is no workaround. You could pay someone to screw your car up trying. That’s it. I do not recommend.

The suspension’s “at rest” mode is the “normal” setting. Track mode is achieved by compressing the car’s secondary springs using hydraulic pressure, which can only be accomplished when the engine is on and the hydraulic pump is operational. When the engine is off, the hydraulic system looses pressure, and the ride height returns to the nominal setting, ie “normal”. Same with front lift.

In other, simpler words: track mode requires hydraulic pressure to pull the suspension down, and engine needs to be running to use the hydraulic pump.
Well said. I had that in my mind more or less, and you made it simple to understand. So the only work around would be to somehow maintain hydraulic pressure even when it's off... which sounds like a path not worth pursuing. They should have made a "cars and coffee" mode:) It looks infinitely better in track mode than 4x4/sport/normal mode. Would pay good money for it to be different.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Avoid leaving the car idling for extended periods of time at cars and coffee, etc.… I’ve heard of exhaust heat giving the wing and third brake light some issues when the wing is in the down position not getting a lot of air across it. Also, the engine could load up and foul the plugs when idling for extended periods of time. I like to pull in cars and coffee with the wing down and when there is a nice group of people admiring the car, I use track mode to lower it and pop the wing up all at one time. Nice wow factor. Just remember, once it’s up, it’s up until you leave…

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is a reason we are advised to keep the wings up.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.

That is correct and a great description of how the hydraulic system achieves "track mode" and lowers the vehicle. Good job DBK

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Just buy a Mk II. It’s in race mode all the time 😂

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
All right so tell me the car doesn’t look cool enough in just regular mode sitting there? If you’re so keen on showing it. Sit in your car and show up and down modes. Perhaps you can find someone to make it into a banger!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SYCO GT

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Look like its time to post this again:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
This topic is right up there with. What’s my GT worth it crap!

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Maybe a slight modification to the suspension could do the trick. You know, trim it down and leave it permanently lowered. :D

QSSsawzall.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well the car certainly undoubtedly looks cooler in track mode. It's just not possible to make it the default setting because of the way the car works. Most cars you have to weigh a bunch of considerations in what you're willing to trade to get ride height and suspension performance adjustments; GT you basically get two completely different suspensions as long as the car is running.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Well the car certainly undoubtedly looks cooler in track mode. It's just not possible to make it the default setting because of the way the car works. Most cars you have to weigh a bunch of considerations in what you're willing to trade to get ride height and suspension performance adjustments; GT you basically get two completely different suspensions as long as the car is running.

So incredible. I'm repeatedly blown away by this every time I think about it. Has to be one of the coolest features of the car IMO.

Mr.Peebles

GT Owner
Jun 19, 2019
Wonderful explanation! Thank you. I can’t wait to see my 2022 FGT with the wing in any position as long as it’s in my garage. I haven’t even started the ordering process and I’m so excited I haven’t been able to sleep for years.