Short Throw Shifter

GT44

Jul 4, 2020
Long time lurker and first time I haven't been able to search for an answer.

I've been spending too much time on the forums and have convinced myself I'd like to try the short throw shifter everyone seems to like. Truth be told the stock 6 speed feels pretty good but better is better. Car came to me as all original but thought it prudent to confirm it doesn't already have a short throw installed. Thought this could easily be verified with a quick measurement if someone with the short throw, or even without, could measure from the base of the rubber boot (directly next to shaft) to the bottom of the jam nut.

In looking for something universal anyone could measure with, I found the key is nearly a perfect fit between the middle center of the shift boot and the bottom of the jam nut under the ball. Alternatively, the distance is about 3".

If anyone is able to confirm the measurement either for the short throw or the stock shifter I'll be in good shape.

Thanks for your help.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I don’t know that answer,but I can tell you it’s excellent

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Post a pic and I can tell you if OEM or short-throw....

Long time lurker and first time I haven't been able to search for an answer.

I've been spending too much time on the forums and have convinced myself I'd like to try the short throw shifter everyone seems to like. Truth be told the stock 6 speed feels pretty good but better is better. Car came to me as all original but thought it prudent to confirm it doesn't already have a short throw installed. Thought this could easily be verified with a quick measurement if someone with the short throw, or even without, could measure from the base of the rubber boot (directly next to shaft) to the bottom of the jam nut.

In looking for something universal anyone could measure with, I found the key is nearly a perfect fit between the middle center of the shift boot and the bottom of the jam nut under the ball. Alternatively, the distance is about 3".

If anyone is able to confirm the measurement either for the short throw or the stock shifter I'll be in good shape.

Thanks for your help.
Not to be a contrarian but: I had the short throw installed and did not like it. It was significantly harder to shift, and the amount of time theoretically saved in shifting is of no consequence on the street. I changed it back to original.

GT44

Jul 4, 2020
Actually took a photo at the time and forgot to add it.

See here:
2SQnRY0.jpg

Vincent - thanks for the information, first I've heard of someone not preferring it.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Short throw and Exoticare boot and bezel are one of my favorite upgrades. I don't think it makes it harder to shift. IMO of course.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I also prefer the stock shifter. Short throw reminded me more of when I used to build cars to drag race them.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Short throw shifter is higher effort but I like the shorter travel. I also use it in conjuction with the Exoticare boot and bezel which looks super cool IMO.

Chip

Reactions: Nafod

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
The short shifter is not without downsides but I like it overall.....the boot thing is 100% awesome though.

Jake

Apr 8, 2021
Murrieta, CA
The Exoticare Boot and Bezel and no longer available are they?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Is that short throw shifter still available?

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Hey Chip - are you trying to corner the market??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

GT44

Jul 4, 2020
Anyone with or without the short throw able to confirm the length of shaft above center of boot?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I own a transmission shop. I fix a lot of transmissions with short throw shifters. "If you can't find em, grind em", and now permanent shifting problems. The most common are WRX but similar issues with others.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hey Chip - are you trying to corner the market??

Joe,

I just bought one of these for a buddy of my son who acquired a 650 mile ‘06 GT last week from a forum member. I didn’t know if they were still available or not. Lots of cool stuff we took for granted a decade ago is long gone now. It’s good these are still out there.

Chip

Reactions: Joe Dozzo

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Anyone with or without the short throw able to confirm the length of shaft above center of boot?

Pretty sure the short shifter has the same visible length, the geometry changes are below the pivot.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
The two shifters in question. Short Throw and my original stock shifter.
Shaft length difference;

Original > above ball- 4 7/16" below ball 1 1/4 "
Short Throw> 3 7/8" 1 3/4 "

I would think you could pull the rubber shifter boot back and measure down to the ball.

I dont use the rubber boot anymore, so a measurement there on mine would not be apples to apples.

Notice also the anodized platform is taller than stock, giving the shifter about the same height as stock installed, and more room underneath.

Bruce

Ford GT Shifters.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Dozzo and 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just a reminder, these were a SVO over the counter (catalog) factory part in the beginning.

Just like the transaxle cooler. 😎

GT44

Jul 4, 2020
The two shifters in question. Short Throw and my original stock shifter.
Shaft length difference;

Original > above ball- 4 7/16" below ball 1 1/4 "
Short Throw> 3 7/8" 1 3/4 "

I would think you could pull the rubber shifter boot back and measure down to the ball.

I dont use the rubber boot anymore, so a measurement there on mine would not be apples to apples.

Notice also the anodized platform is taller than stock, giving the shifter about the same height as stock installed, and more room underneath.

Bruce

View attachment 63073
Bruce - very interesting and thanks for your help.