Optional tires?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Has anyone replaced the stock tires with something less sticky (and damaging)?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You can find summer tire types but nothing that fits that is four season.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I didn't think it was possible to have a tire less sticky than the OEM Goodyears.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
This is the 2017+ forum

I didn't think it was possible to have a tire less sticky than the OEM Goodyears.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I think less sticky tires then the OEM PS Cup 2s would be foolish. Why risk control loss? The car was designed for the Cup 2 tires. You don't have to be on the track to enjoy the benefits of sticky tires. A PPF with double in more prone areas is sufficient.

Ed

Reactions: roketman

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
After driving my GT 2300 miles over some really nasty roads, I am happy to report the bottom of the car looks perfect. I did use Rich’s screens and 1 layer of PPF of the door bottoms, that’s it. I think the rock chatter under the car sounds way worse than what it really is. I don’t see a need to change tires and lose a ton of performance. Drive the car at 55 degrees and notice the reduction in traction, that’s basically where you’ll be at best even with just a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but that’s not even an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iconic GT

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This is the 2017+ forum

Whoops 😬

Reactions: Specracer

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Good to know. I’m having mine wrapped right now and the screens are going on too. I’m not worried about performance loss because I don’t plan to drive it hard. I never had any problem controlling my 800 hp ‘06 twin turbo on stock Goodyears and those cars don’t have traction control or any other nannies. I just don’t want to hear all those rocks beating the hell out of my car.
Ill run the stock tires for a while to see if I can get used to it.
After driving my GT 2300 miles over some really nasty roads, I am happy to report the bottom of the car looks perfect. I did use Rich’s screens and 1 layer of PPF of the door bottoms, that’s it. I think the rock chatter under the car sounds way worse than what it really is. I don’t see a need to change tires and lose a ton of performance. Drive the car at 55 degrees and notice the reduction in traction, that’s basically where you’ll be at best even with just a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but that’s not even an option.

Reactions: punkinhead

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Other brand fronts are easy to find, it is the rears that are hard to fit. And Special Ed can say what he wants, but it gets cold here for 3-5 months and the michelins are scary. Texas should be fine pretty much all year.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Anybody changed out just the fronts (as long as it’s the same brand)? The fronts are the ones doing the most damage anyway and you wouldn’t lose traction at the rear.