Looking inside an engine during cold start (-30 degrees)

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Recently found on youtube. See what happens (transparent oil sump and rocker panel)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Yikes!! Interesting video. Glad my garage is heated. Thanks for posting!

Reactions: ByeEnzo

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Thanks. Interesting.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Yes, interesting, but I wonder instead of using his mineral oil at his -30C (-22F), how the new synthetic 5-50 oils would have done or even 5 weight oil. I used 5 weight dinosaur oil in Colorado with my Toyota 22R engine sitting outside all night at -40F and it started and ran well.

Last edited:
Reactions: steved57

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Thank you for posting, comrade 😂
Dr. Frank could translate for us also.
Good use for an old Lada in this experiment.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good pick up on the Lada, tovarish

Reactions: ByeEnzo

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
They make zero weight synthetic.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
You can add suggestions to the video, maybe they will post a new video (I am still freezing)

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
They make zero weight synthetic.
If you were responding to my statement about the 5-50 synthetic, I think you missed my point. It appears he tested a much thicker "mineral oil" solution than most USA cars run these days, so the test isn't really valid to USA cars. The mineral oil may solidify at a much higher temperature than modern synthetics.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If you were responding to my statement about the 5-50 synthetic, I think you missed my point. It appears he tested a much thicker "mineral oil" solution than most USA cars run these days, so the test isn't really valid to USA cars. The mineral oil may solidify at a much higher temperature than modern synthetics.

I didn't miss your point, I was agreeing and adding that even lower viscosity oil is available.

I think the video was like many Youtube videos. Constructed for entertainment first.