At What Tread Depth do you Recommend a Tire Change?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Have Bridgestones and currently at 5/32 (the wear bar is at 2/32 I think) in the rear. At what depth have you seen a significant decrease in wet weather performance?

Thanks

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Good question. I always think if I'm worried about it I replace it.

Though my Bridgestones get replaced on time before miles, so don't listen to me!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I change at wear bar depth.

Reactions: PeteK

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I change at wear bar depth.

Simon, you know how Houston is, rainfall can be sporadic, then turn into flooding in a half hour plus the concrete roads get slippery in the wet from the dried oil loosening up.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Obviously if they have one to the tread bar replace them. More important is the build date over three years old get risky in terms of safety

Last edited:

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
More important is the bill date over three years old get risky in terms of safety

This is a rule of thumb I wouldn't follow for any car, much less one that spends 99% of the time in the garage....different strokes and all. The current tires are 2013 so I'm replacing them this year for sure....just a matter of when.

I'm kind of surprised to see everybody waiting until hitting the wear bar considering how many cars have been lost over the years....but maybe that is the right call.