Wheels...

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
I’d like to replace my original tires on my 05’. I’d like the installer to not scratch up my wheels upon installation. Any safe guard suggestions to make sure this doesn’t happen? Thanks!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Interview the manager and tip the installer before the job.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Don’t go to the cheapest guy on the tire rack recommended list—go to the place that does the high-end cars in your area. Then do what Howard said!

Reactions: RPM217

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Touchless center mount tire machine

Reactions: Nafod

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
Seems like the Touchless system is the safest alternative. And as always, a generous incentive tip is always recommended. Thanks guys...

I take mine (2 times so far) to the local Ferrari/Maserati dealer (Ron Tonkin GT). I remove the wheels myself and just take them only to Tonkin. They do a great job at a reasonable cost. I figured that if anyone would know how to avoid damage, it would be them. Not a mark left on the wheels, road force balance, and immediate friendly service, too. In my experience, Ferrari guys like GTs!

Reactions: Jazz76 and extrap

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Good advice here. I had a tire shop F*** a set of GT wheels up badly when they took off the stick on wheel weights with an ice pick. Let them know ahead of time exactly what you expect.

Chip

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I take the old wheel weights off myself prior to delivering the wheels and tires for mounting.

Reactions: GTMD

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Make sure they use plastic spatula to remove old weights. They used 3M adhesive remover to clean off old weight glue. If you have a strip weight, be very careful as this weight pulled paint off one of my wheels. Wheels must be pulled straight off horizontally or can chip paint on brake caliper. Also witness balancing and both sides should be 0.00 ounces when balancing complete. Needed to drive GT up on blocks to allow jack clearance under car. Need to use hockey pucks at lift points. Best to go at off time hours when not too busy.

Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I take the old wheel weights off myself prior to delivering the wheels and tires for mounting.

Make sure they use plastic spatula to remove old weights. They used 3M adhesive remover to clean off old weight glue. If you have a strip weight, be very careful as this weight pulled paint off one of my wheels.

Good advice. I am considering doing the same thing from now on. I had a "specialty shop" use heat to remove mine once and it burnt the paint. Then they had the audacity to lie to me and tell me they didn't do it.

What is your recommendation on removal if I do it myself? Plastic spatula? Any other adjuncts or methods?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Bernz-O-Matic and hammer-drill. Ok, seriously, warm heat and plastic tool for weight removal.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Bernz-O-Matic and hammer-drill. Ok, seriously, warm heat and plastic tool for weight removal.

Thank you Howard! Will do!