GT makes Hagerty's 2021 Bull Market List

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Oops, maybe I sold my car too soon......

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Great info - thanks for sharing!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
They are right about banging your head but I’ve been so careful about that I did a strange maneuver cleaning in the drivers area before a rally (maybe window or mirror) and as I was in egress I slammed my elbow so hard into the edge of the door (where we all crank our noodle) that 2 months later it’s still not 100%.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The AM Vantage and the FGT are the only two I am interested in from a want to own standpoint.

The door roof is my only dislike of the FGT. I am still on the fence about the Butterfly doors.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Thanks.

Interesting article.

I do think that a lot of their conclusions are a little bit off the mark, but the trending data is interesting.

Couldn't believe the pricing data on the 1969 Honda CB750. 30 grand! Back in the day I bought a CB350 because it was on sale, and the 750 was twice as much. Maybe I should have pinched the pennies a little bit more. Still have the 350, but I don't think it's worth a whole lot to anyone other than a real Honda diehard. If anyone knows of anyone who might be interested, let me know.

Back to the GT, I do think the projected values are on the optimistic side for non-Heritage cars, however I don't think any of us have much to complain about the overall value rise in the last 15 years. For those who drive their cars, did you ever think that, essentially someone would possibly end up paying you for all the enjoyment you get? Such a deal!

Drive on!

Reactions: Simon and tmcphail

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
This Hagerty article subtlety indicates that Black stripeless is the most desired color. ;) Heheh.

Kidding of course. The best color is the one that you prefer.

NaiiaGT-7300.jpg

Thanks.

Interesting article.

I do think that a lot of their conclusions are a little bit off the mark, but the trending data is interesting.

Couldn't believe the pricing data on the 1969 Honda CB750. 30 grand! Back in the day I bought a CB350 because it was on sale, and the 750 was twice as much. Maybe I should have pinched the pennies a little bit more. Still have the 350, but I don't think it's worth a whole lot to anyone other than a real Honda diehard. If anyone knows of anyone who might be interested, let me know.

Back to the GT, I do think the projected values are on the optimistic side for non-Heritage cars, however I don't think any of us have much to complain about the overall value rise in the last 15 years. For those who drive their cars, did you ever think that, essentially someone would possibly end up paying you for all the enjoyment you get? Such a deal!

Drive on!
I think Hagerty is out to lunch on the value of 05-06 GTs. The prices they are listing are for undriven or very low mileage cars, and unrealistic for cars that are driven. That said, there is no doubt that no matter how much you drive your car, it's still worth more than it was new!

Reactions: GEE-TEE

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Yes, mileage makes a HUGE difference in values, amazing they don’t factor that in.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yes, mileage makes a HUGE difference in values, amazing they don’t factor that in.

Agreed.

I do believe that Hagerty provides four classifications in their current value estimates, numbered #1 Concours, #2 Excellent, #3 Good, and #4 Fair. They provide a description of what in their opinion, classifies a vehicle. Mileage is not specifically mentioned, but it could (or could not) be implied or interpreted in each of the conditions.

The info below is shared directly from their website, under the section "CLASSIFYING A VEHICLE"

"Correctly classifying a vehicle’s condition is paramount when using Hagerty Valuation Tools®. Our pricing is unique in that we publish Hagerty Price Guide’s prices, and Hagerty Price Guide strives to provide a value for “true” #1 vehicles; these values are often far and away more expensive than identical vehicles in lesser condition. It is estimated that more than 80% of vehicles in the market are either condition #3 or #4, so make sure you are confident in the ascribed condition. Many sellers overrate the condition; overeager buyers tend to do the same for potential purchases.
In addition to a vehicle’s condition, other factors can influence a price. Particularly, number of owners, originality, and documentation to support build claims or restoration work can all greatly effect a vehicle’s value. Note that the addition of factory options can greatly impact the vehicle’s value, so pay attention to any pricing notes that are listed in the “Vehicle Value Details” section of the “Value Your vehicle” tab of the site.
Lastly, use Hagerty Valuation Tools® as a guide, not the Gospel. Use the information presented here to gain a deeper understanding of the market, apply your senses to what you learn, and consult with experts in the field before making any buying or selling decisions."

Condition Ratings
#1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."
#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.
#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

Reactions: GEE-TEE

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The big problem with Haggerty’s 4-step scale is the steps are too coarse. 4 steps between Amelia Island and Joey’s used car lot. Not useful for grading or evaluating.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Mileage only matters to those that want to sell their car for top dollar. In order to get that top dollar, that means you can't drive and enjoy the car. If you bought it as an investment, I "get it", don't drive it. If you bought it, because you want to enjoy the driving experience, that's the price of admission. I happily paid the price, and don't look at the miles as a waste of $, rather as an investment in my quality of life.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
An engine and 4 tires..................................!

Reactions: RPM217

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Generally speaking, I personally pick condition over mileage every time. Sure they are related. But some owners are able to maintain and preserve their cars better than others. I try to find those cars that have been enjoyed (not beaten down) and well maintained by a caring owner. I'm sure we've all seen an occasional low mileage car that has been neglected or maintenance deferred to the overall detriment of the vehicle. So, rather than rely on any general guide, seeing something in person and evaluating it on all factors that matter to oneself, is better, than absolute assumptions.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Yep!!!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Ditto.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Well said randy

Reactions: SYCO GT

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
...But banging your head on the door is about the coolest thing ever.....

Reactions: Specracer

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Get some fake stitches tattooed on your forehead. Then when people ask how you did that, you tell them, “I was in a hurry to get out of my Ford GT to save a puppy that had wandered out on the road...”