What to do with stock tires

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Hello All,

Going on about 6 months as a GT owner. Still get excited to see her in the garage everytime I come and go. Anyway, taking the advice of everyone I put new rubber on even though the original tires had only about 2000 miles on them. Now I have them stored and they are not really in the way but I don't forsee myself using them ever. I plan on keeping the car probably as long as I am vertical (I have had my highschool car-69 Mach 1, 428cj for 41 years) -sooooo what do I do with them? Is there anyone wanting to keep their car stock and may need them?? Do I just let them dry rot? seems like a waste. Thanks in advance for any insight.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I am in the same situation. Perfect condition 15 year old OEM tires with 207 miles on them, kept indoors before I got the car in August, now sitting in my closet. Kinda cool to look it, particularly to see side-by-side how much bigger the rears are than the fronts, but if somebody has a good idea, that'd be great. I know if I set them out on our driveway by the curb they'd be gone in minutes, but I guess I'm hoping for some better idea .. and I also still wonder if having the actual, original tires with the car someday might actually matter ... even tho I doubt it 🤔

BTW, I posted mine for sale here https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/...miles-climate-control-kept.37429/#post-513222 ... and no takers, no surprise.

Free .. to good home. Or even questionable home.

Last edited:

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Welcome....I have mine mounted on the original rims and stored away. There have been a few threads on the debate. Some dispose of them as junk as their utility is limited. If you haven’t,consider changing the oil pump belt as they are going on 15 years.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Hate to say - landfill only place for them IMHO. You should never drive on them.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Whack jobs like me that think about date codes and period correct, save them.

Reactions: roketman and Nafod

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The car will never be original new in the wrapper again. In 20 years when the car starts to influence concourse shows it'll be the ones with delivery miles and original tires, not a 10K or 100K car with stored tires.

Reactions: Jason Watt

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The car will never be original new in the wrapper again. In 20 years when the car starts to influence concourse shows it'll be the ones with delivery miles and original tires, not a 10K or 100K car with stored tires.

Won't really matter for any major concours. Mileage def not. Replacement tires standard in all concours, so long as similar aesthetic (ie black sides) so won't matter in judging typically.
Really just matters if its your thing - not for shows.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
I hung mine from a rope so my son could beat it with a heavy baseball bat. Great for core and forearm strength! :)

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
Whack jobs like me that think about date codes and period correct, save them.
I'm with you own that one.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
It can also show how the car was treated. My originals have correct date codes, 11,000 miles on them and lots of tread. No apparent abuse. I will save all my tires that get changed out to show history. They'll be old and no good before tread is a problem.
Or, slam them back on and FINISH them! WooHoo!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Well crap. I was almost ready to roll 'em out to the curb and see how long it takes em to disappear. I guess I'll keep 'em, at least until something forces me one way or the other. I think this makes me a hoarder.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Check out what Gen I Shelby guys will pay for nice looking (but worthless) original tires. They only roll them on and off trailers, but the dollars they pay would boggle your mind.

If you have the room, might be worth saving.

Reactions: extrap

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Listen, it does not matter how many miles are on a tire. What matters is build date
Any tire I’ve 3 years old is unsafe and junk.
The tire has a chemical breakdown from the inside out.
The number one cause of highway fatalities is from out of date tires. That was also the cause of Paul Walker’s death in the Carrera GT

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Glad to here of another original High School Mustang owner that still has his car. I have had my Mustang for 44 years. Congrats on the GT ownership. I held on to my original Goodyears for several months and then sent them to recycle.

Reactions: roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Glad to here of another original High School Mustang owner that still has his car. I have had my Mustang for 44 years. Congrats on the GT ownership. I held on to my original Goodyears for several months and then sent them to recycle.
Smart move!

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have the first car I ever bought, my 1965 Mustang convertible that I bought for $100 in 1973. A northeast rust bucket but finishing getting some work done on it this year (can you say Dynacorn complete new unibody chassis)

Attachments

• 2D3E6F59-2564-4D43-AE37-5AFC2E7155D1.jpeg
    2D3E6F59-2564-4D43-AE37-5AFC2E7155D1.jpeg
    760.1 KB · Views: 0

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Mount ‘em and go do powerslides and burnouts until you’re down to the cord!

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Thanks for the replies. Dang I wish I would have thought about smoking them off the rims before I swapped them. It was difficult to find a shop that could balance the rears close by so I won't be putting them back on the stock wheels. I need some cheapy rims to mount them on then I need a nice big parking lot!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thanks for the replies. Dang I wish I would have thought about smoking them off the rims before I swapped them. It was difficult to find a shop that could balance the rears close by so I won't be putting them back on the stock wheels. I need some cheapy rims to mount them on then I need a nice big parking lot!
Not worth a blowout!

CampoLady

GT Owner
May 25, 2018
I will take 4 for AACA Car Shows. 4 more years and she's an antique
capable of Antique Automobile Club Shows....