Air filter change

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Probably a dumb question from a new owner but I have not found on the forum. I just completed my oil change successfully and now want to change the air filter. Is it located in the box between the engine and rear of car? Any trick to getting it out?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You are correct. Just pop off the top, (or remove the whole box), take the old, and put in the new. If they are the originals, you may want to keep them. Some of the OEM required a little trimming of the foam edges to fit perfectly. You might also remember, that the corrugated tube connecting the box to the throttle body air intake has a propensity to collapse under hard acceleration. There are stiffeners on the market to place in there to prevent.

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
So are there 2 filters?

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
yes

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You are correct. Just pop off the top, (or remove the whole box), take the old, and put in the new.

Yeah right, just pop the top off - GREAT advice but unfortunately impossible.

Use a 10mm socket on a 1/4" ratchet and remove the securing bolts - one on each end. Use a nut driver and loosen the intake boot clamp where it attaches to the airbox. Pull up the red safety tab and then squeeze and lift the MAF connector off. Because the airbox is fastened in place using rubber isolators, they are often "sticky" and don't want to come out. Just rock the airbox backward while removing the boot at the front. Rocking it back will free it and now you can lift it up and out of the car.

Place a towel down and be careful with the MAF sensor, and put the airbox on a workbench upside down. You will see a lot of fasteners around the perimeter. These are small Torx-head fasteners. I think either a T15 or T20. Remove all of them and you can finally see/replace the (2) Ford F150 filters. EVERYONE will carry them and they are very inexpensive.

Don't worry about the intake boot. Stock cars or cars with pulley/tunes will NOT see this boot collapse. We can sell you a stiffener, but it would be a waste of money for you.

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Thank you so much. This will be very helpful. Will tackle this tomorrow.

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Good thing I checked this out. I guess just because a car only has 2,700 miles doesn’t mean it doesn’t need maintenance after 15 years. The plenum was just about full of mouse housing materials. Can’t believe how good the car ran....will be better now. If I can figure out how to add pictures I will.

BSim27

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 14, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
You would think the selling dealer would’ve taken care of that. I guess not! Thanks for posting.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Good thing I checked this out. I guess just because a car only has 2,700 miles doesn’t mean it doesn’t need maintenance after 15 years. The plenum was just about full of mouse housing materials. Can’t believe how good the car ran....will be better now. If I can figure out how to add pictures I will.
Yes, good that you're checking the maintenance items. These are the type of things that happen with these very low mileage cars. Just because they are low mileage doesn't mean they won't have their own set of peculiar problems like dried/cracked belts, dried seals, hard/expired tires, mice, etc.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Maybe those mice found their way out the hard way?

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
You would think the selling dealer would’ve taken care of that. I guess not! Thanks for posting.
I bought from an individual. Luckily all the “stuff” was on the upside of the filter so it never got into the engine. I just don’t know how any air got through.

I did notice my air box only has one rubber grommet and there are two posts. Looks like it should have one on each. I checked on line and that part is obsolete at Ford. Anyone know where to source one of these grommets?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Go to one of your local large NAPA stores, show them the grommet you have, and they should be able to find something about the same size in their Dorman catalog for a couple bucks. Buy two so you have a spare for when you lose the other one!

While you’re there, buy some hand cleaner or something else to make it worth their efforts.

Reactions: 2112

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You should also chsnge clutch fluid.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Shhhh the filter are half price if you order the same year taurus last time I checked.....
:)

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I did notice my air box only has one rubber grommet and there are two posts. Looks like it should have one on each. I checked on line and that part is obsolete at Ford. Anyone know where to source one of these grommets?

The center grommet part number is: YF1Z-9P686-AA readily available at your Ford dealer for a couple dollars. This fits many 2000-2020 cars/trucks.

Here are some GT air filter part numbers. First number is the Ford part number. It has been opined that the NAPA and Wix are the best. Of course, Fram seems to always be good.

XL3Z-9601-AAEngine Air Filter, Motorcraft FA-1682Wix 42572, NAPA FIL 2572, Fram CA8958
1999-04 F150 XL, XLT, Lightning

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
The center grommet part number is: YF1Z-9P686-AA readily available at your Ford dealer for a couple dollars. This fits many 2000-2020 cars/trucks.

Here are some GT air filter part numbers. First number is the Ford part number. It has been opined that the NAPA and Wix are the best. Of course, Fram seems to always be good.

XL3Z-9601-AAEngine Air Filter, Motorcraft FA-1682Wix 42572, NAPA FIL 2572, Fram CA8958
1999-04 F150 XL, XLT, Lightning
Thanks for your help. I just learned that this morning in a cal with the local Ford dealer. The part number on the part had a YF1U prefix which is the engineering number and explains why it showed as not a good number on line. I went with the Motorcraft air filters. Any negatives on those? Thanks for your help. I love this forum and I’m just getting to know my car.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Any of these filters would work just fine... FILTERS

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Any of these filters would work just fine... FILTERS

Any reason the AC Delco is 3 times more?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You will either have to host them elsewhere, or resize them to be a smaller file size. I use Microsoft paint to down size to 6xx x 8xx pixels. Then you will be able to upload them directly here.

If I can figure out how to add pictures I will.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Any reason the AC Delco is 3 times more?

In case my wife does the purchase? Her brain is wired such that if it is more expensive, therefore it must be better. I know better.