Pricing in next 5 years?

AggieGT

Oct 31, 2020
New Orleans, LA
Lately I’ve read from owners & fans on this forum, and other places, that the ‘05/06 could spike to $500k in the next 5 years.

I’m curious what leads you to believe there will be another run up in price?

I’m close to pulling the trigger. I’m looking and plan to make my first (and maybe last) gt in the next 18 months. I want a driver so I care more about maintence and upkeep than low miles. Not interested in stripe delete and open to at least 4 different color options.

Any and all insights for a prospective owner appreciated. There’s nothing that comes close to a GT but at 5bills I’m not sure I would justify ownership.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I hope they dont spike to 500,, that would be terrible for people who enjoy driving their cars,, they will just become boring trophy pieces... this is only my opinion.. I know some people get a high looking at their expensive car collection sitting in their man cave...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure point of this thread/conjecture.

They are great cars. If you have the resources, no point waiting...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I believe they will go to $500k....... and beyond. Look at some of the amazing cars from the past, Lamborghini Mura/Countach/Diablo, Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari F40, F50. Amazing cars and the prices on all these cars have gone stratospheric. I actually believe the 05/06 Ford GT is lagging in price and it has a long way to go.

QSS

Reactions: AggieGT

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I hope they dont spike to 500,, that would be terrible for people who enjoy driving their cars,, they will just become boring trophy pieces... this is only my opinion.. I know some people get a high looking at their expensive car collection sitting in their man cave...

Could not agree more. How many 250 Lussos or Miuras get driven anymore?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
$500K in 5 years? Nah. Ford built 4000+ of them. Even subtracting those totaled and parted out, there probably are still 3000 in circulation. I’d guess into the Upper 200K to 300K range for drivers. Some near zero mile Heritages might get to $500K.

Besides, why would a car going up in value prevent you from buying it? If you are afraid to drive it, you can just sell and take the profit. No downside there.

I have 66,000 miles on mine. I ain’t savin’ it for the next guy! You can tell how I feel about driving them from my signature line.

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Interesting discussion.
Does any buyer really care about how many miles are on an original Cobra?
Our cars have 4 tires and an engine, drive them, or put them in your living room as an art piece.
I respect the guys who drive their cars, even you RPM!
For me, its like the guys who take their very expensive shotguns out in the rain to shoot sporting clays.
Just my interpretation.
Best To All,
Mark

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
If you really are "close to pulling the trigger," then do it. Life is short! The sooner that you can drive and enjoy your own GT, the better. Who cares -- or who even knows -- where the future prices of these wonderful cars are going? Do you think that you will get any more, or less, enjoyment out of a GT with a value of $275K vs a value of $500K?

Nobody really knows where prices are going on Ford GTs. If anyone could predict price movements, then they would have loaded-up on '05/'06 GTs when they were trading in the $130-140K range, huh?

I completely lucked-out, I bought my '06 when prices were just above their trough. I would love to say that I knew that the cars were going to experience staggering price appreciation, but I had absolutely no clue! I did not buy my '06 because I thought that prices would be going up, I bought it exclusively because I loved the car. It is great that my car is worth nearly twice what I paid for it, but the price appreciation is nothing more than an interesting point because I will NEVER sell my '06.

While there can be no certainty on future prices of Ford GTs, there is one thing that is certain, though.... If you buy a GT, and if you drive it regularly, I guarantee you that it will be a purchase that you will never ever regret! You will smile each and every time that supercharged V-8 roars to life!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
When it comes to the future, I am more concerned about the ability to easily find fuel.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
If you really are "close to pulling the trigger," then do it. Life is short! The sooner that you can drive and enjoy your own GT, the better. Who cares -- or who even knows -- where the future prices of these wonderful cars are going? Do you think that you will get any more, or less, enjoyment out of a GT with a value of $275K vs a value of $500K?

Nobody really knows where prices are going on Ford GTs. If anyone could predict price movements, then they would have loaded-up on '05/'06 GTs when they were trading in the $130-140K range, huh?

I completely lucked-out, I bought my '06 when prices were just above their trough. I would love to say that I knew that the cars were going to experience staggering price appreciation, but I had absolutely no clue! I did not buy my '06 because I thought that prices would be going up, I bought it exclusively because I loved the car. It is great that my car is worth nearly twice what I paid for it, but the price appreciation is nothing more than an interesting point because I will NEVER sell my '06.

While there can be no certainty on future prices of Ford GTs, there is one thing that is certain, though.... If you buy a GT, and if you drive it regularly, I guarantee you that it will be a purchase that you will never ever regret! You will smile each and every time that supercharged V-8 roars to life!
I agree, life is way to short. Buy your FGT now!! Before it's too late and it will be too late one day, you just don't know when. A rather insightful guy wrote:

One of these days, the ground will drop out from beneath your feet
One of these days, your heart will stop and play it's final beat
One of these days, the clocks will stop and time won't mean a thing
One of these days, their bombs will drop and silence everything..........

One of the things that I was pondering, just prior to turning 50, was what am I gonna regret on my death bed. I've got a great wife, 2 great kids, great family and great friends. I'm healthy and mostly happy (Covid's got me pretty grumpy right now). I'm living the charmed life because I've won the "lottery of life" living where I live and doing the work I do. I've got it all but if occurred to me that I had to buy this car or I was gonna regret it down the road. First world problems....... but they're still problems.

I used to think about "working till the day I die" but something has changed in me ever since turning 50. I realize and accept that I am gonna die one day and that money doesn't matter as much as it used to and that I should enjoy "the fruits of my labor" before it is too late.

If my car becomes a $500k car, I'll still drive it whenever I can. I purposely bought a higher mileage car so I could drive it and I don't care what it's worth. I'm gonna be gone, one of these days, and that's gonna happen in the blink of an eye.

Buy your FGT now!!

QSS

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
No

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
No one on their deathbed ever wished they worked more saved more or enjoyed their hobby less!
Go for it! You will be glad you did!
I just had my 14th anniversary of the purchase of my 06
Can’t even begin to put into words the enjoyment and friendships I have made! All because of this car and Forum!

Attachments

• 7CAD68B7-94A9-4750-978D-D5EDFC1F6FB8.jpeg
    7CAD68B7-94A9-4750-978D-D5EDFC1F6FB8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I wish I knew anything, for sure, in 5 years. I'd bet long...

If you want an investment, go to the stock market.

If you want an amazing car, and group of people, buy a FGT

AggieGT

Oct 31, 2020
New Orleans, LA
Thanks everyone for your replies. Greatly appreciated and I value your points.

Need to quit putting this off and get serious about my search.

Reactions: 2112

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Aggie, Times have changed and so is the automobile. Its was and still is one of the greats!
Gasoline is going the way of the horse, you will have it but your gonna pay.
In 2020, do we care if the car goes to 500,000?
I dont think thats a good bet......
Buy it , drive it, make memories.......
Holding it for investment is not a great idea today.
How will a millenial buy your GT in 20 years, BITCOIN? :)
gtjoey1314

Reactions: digman1

AggieGT

Oct 31, 2020
New Orleans, LA
I hear you GTJoey. The question isn’t about ‘investing’ in a GT or getting value back out of it.

It’s simply that I planned to get serious about a purchase in the next 18months and was asking ‘the experts’ if they projected a price run up during that period.

Whatever I buy won’t be re-sold and will be driven like it was stolen ;). (Ok maybe I’ll baby it a bit....)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Could not agree more. How many 250 Lussos or Miuras get driven anymore?

Mine does.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Auggie, how old are you now.....
Rocketman, Chip ,Jeff and I 15 years ago were living forever....its to painful :)
GTJOEY1314

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Mine does.

A friend let me drive his freshly restored, 100 pt, Miura SV--fantastic car! Dakota_GT, glad you're driving yours--definitely a "social good" to see one out on the street!

Getting back to the original question about future values, it's hard to say. I think they'll go up some, though with the racing program behind us and the Ford vs. Ferrari buzz in the rear view mirror, the question is, "What good news is out there that's not yet reflected in today's price?" I can't think of any.

If I had just put the FGT money in the S&P and left it there, it would be worth 3x. The car has appreciated, for which I'm grateful, but it doesn't beat the market. But of course, it's hard to quantify the enjoyment of owning and driving these fantastic cars. For most of us, that's worth a lot!

So, as others have said already, if you want one and can swing the purchase price, get one.

Reactions: extrap and DakotaGT

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Lately I’ve read from owners & fans on this forum, and other places, that the ‘05/06 could spike to $500k in the next 5 years.

On one hand I hope my '05 does increase in value to $500k cuz then Hey, half million dollar car .. but on the other I think that would make me more concerned about driving around in something so valuable. If I had to make a prediction, though, I think it might be at a peak right now due to the Ford v Ferrari movie, although over the long haul I think it will continue to creep up because there just isn't anything else like it: Rare, raw, well-built, no nannies but just the right amount of creature comforts, supercharged mid-engine V8 with great power, manual 6-speed, awesome looks, links to historical racing success, pride that's American made, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. What other single car offers all of that?

I’m curious what leads you to believe there will be another run up in price?

I wouldn't say run up, but creep up, for the reasons above.

Any and all insights for a prospective owner appreciated. There’s nothing that comes close to a GT but at 5bills I’m not sure I would justify ownership.

I will just say that if you're thinking investment purposes, in my own analysis a simple portfolio of just a single Vanguard index large cap mutual fund outperformed the value increase of my GT from '05 to '20. Not by a lot, but by some, and an index fund is surely more liquid .. but less fun and awesome to look at :cool: (unless you find numbers visually attractive :unsure::p)