Nylon push-in pins in front of trunk liner?

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
My car’s original frunk liner had two nylon push-in fasteners on the front face, with large diameter washers on the outside.

That liner was stained by a spill of car wax or cleaner stored in the frunk by the previous owner. I finally decided to pony up for a new liner from Dearborn Performance, but it doesn’t have the holes.

Just wanted to check with a few other owners before I add the holes and nylon pins-

Does your car have holes (as shown below) in the frunk liner?
1994E1EC-6AA6-4B3A-82C6-E8CCC9C0430F.jpegF2137375-DB5B-4216-B36F-C3F936F24417.jpeg

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Never seen that before.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Yes. Both my black '06 and white '05 had those front holes.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I don’t have those holes...maybe improvised as water drain holes. I have an 06.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I have an 05, no holes. Only the one tab with one hole, as yours has.

What did the nylon fasteners hold?

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
The pins are inserted from the inside of the trunk, and are a press fit through steel washers about 1” diameter on the outside of the liner. So the nylon pins are fixed in place and protrude out of the front of the liner.

My guess is that the pins locate the liner in the car by the pins indexing into a detail of the car.

However, my car is visiting Rich Brooks (for new shocks, fluid changes, and a few other minor items), so I don’t have the car here to check.

Interesting that some folks have them and some don’t. I’ll see if Mr. Brooks knows the story behind them.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I just checked my 2006 , 0541, midnight blue vehicle. NO PUSH PINS OR HOLES.
JUST A NICE CLEAN LOOK.
My recommendation would be to NOT add any holes or push pins. Just more parts to loose, rattle, dust ingress etc.
Stick with the clean design on the new liner you received from Ford.
Andy (ajb)

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
My 05 doesn't have the holes.
Mark

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Just so folks know what I'm talking about, here's a photo showing the pins installed in the old liner.
image0 (1) b.jpg

Reactions: extrap

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Those were not in mine (a 2006). All of mine were the black 1/4 twist lock type. Nothing with backer washers.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
None in mine, a very late ‘06

Not in mine, built August 2005

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
OK here's some more info and a theory.

The one with holes was dated 3/06, the new one dated 6/06. But other folks have posted that both 05 and 06 cars can either have the pins or not have the pins.

My theory: This is a big part molded out of a flexible plastic. Some of the parts came out of the mold straight, but some came out slightly warped. The non-warped ones don't need the pins. The slightly-warped ones had pins installed that position them securely in the correct position in the car.

I made a painters tape template from the old one and marked the correct hole locations on the new part, but have no plans to drill the holes.
image0 (2).jpeg

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
However, my car is visiting Rich Brooks (for new shocks, fluid changes, and a few other minor items), so I don’t have the car here to check.
Are you getting NOS Ford shocks or upgrading to aftermarket? I had a rear shock leak and the new Ford was frozen, that sure made for a bad ride. Kendall and Ryan just installed new Ahlman shocks for me and I love them. Rebuildable in the future if needed too

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Are you getting NOS Ford shocks or upgrading to aftermarket? I had a rear shock leak and the new Ford was frozen, that sure made for a bad ride. Kendall and Ryan just installed new Ahlman shocks for me and I love them. Rebuildable in the future if needed too

Putting a new set of oem shocks on, also returning to stock height (currently lowered), reinstalling rear bumper, etc.

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Putting a new set of oem shocks on, also returning to stock height (currently lowered), reinstalling rear bumper, etc.
If you find any of the new shocks don’t work I do have one brand new available as I didn’t install it. Picked up from Galpin last month

Reactions: centerpunch

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
If you find any of the new shocks don’t work I do have one brand new available as I didn’t install it. Picked up from Galpin last month

My four new shocks were all great- I took the car up to Rich Brooks, who installed them and did a full alignment in-house.
06CD617A-6125-4592-96A1-7A986231152E.jpeg

Reactions: BM SoCal and extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
66,000 miles on my OE shocks and no leaks. Ya gotta drive ‘em to keep the shock rods lubed.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Went with Ahlmans Ohlins, which can be rebuilt. Will never have to buy a new shock again.

Reactions: BM SoCal

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
When I need new shocks, that’s what I’ll do.