Recall issues

charger440

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
Duluth, Georgia
I have an early 05 GT (October 04 production) that I bought new. It presently has 5,000 miles on it. I am doing my own service work, and the car has never been back to a Ford dealer. I am now planning to take it to a Ford dealer to do the two open recalls, driver and passenger airbags. These are the only two recalls on my car according to the government recall website. Was there a recall earlier on the rear main seal, and also one for the axle half shaft bolts? Is there a way to have Ford cover this, assuming that they were recall/production issues? Or am I on my own when addressing these issues? Any recommendation for a good Ford dealer doing GT work in the metro Atlanta area?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
If you want to send me your VIN in a private message, I can run it on Ford Oasis in the morning and see what recalls are outstanding.

Jeff

Reactions: GKW05GT

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The seal and axle bolts were not recalls, they were Technical Service Bulletins and do not show up on NHTSA recall lists. Only a dealer OASIS report can tell you if they were performed.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ford will do the airbag recall, no problem. If this is the only thing that you are taking to the dealer for, then you may think about inquiring if they can send someone to you.

As for the axle bolts - you are SEVERAL years late to have that taken care of by Ford. It definitely needs to be done (ALL 2005-06 need it), but you'll have to do it on your own nickel. It's not a very difficult job to do yourself.

As for the rear main seal leak, once again you are several years late. Fortunately this only effected a very small number of cars. Is yours leaking? This will require removal of the transaxle so it may be beyond what you want to tackle by yourself. I have the Ford Speedi-sleeve kit if you need it.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
By Todays standards the axle bolts are an easy fix for most Ford dealers or the GTGUYS.
The rear seal is based off your VIN.
If you car is one of the first 650 and thats pushing it, the gtguys can do it with the speedy sleeve, IT WILL NEVER LEAK AFTER THAT.
The first batch was sent to a rousch building and run for 3 minutes with a special dye, then a special light to see if it bled past the seal.
Good luck
gtjoey1314

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Don't get the Ford axle bolt kit. Get the ARP set. Car doesn't even have to come off the ground to change them.
If the rear main isn't broke, don't fix it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The rear seal is based off your VIN.

Well, not really. Ford knew that had a handful of engines with the manufacturing defect but they didn't necessarily know which engines went into which cars. I believe that the official communication from Ford is that all 2005 VINs North of 300 were good. If you have a VIN less than 300, then you *might* have a problem. As others have said, no need to pull the transaxle and speedi-sleeve unless the car is leaking.

By Todays standards the axle bolts are an easy fix for most Ford dealers
Most Ford dealers have never done an axle bolt upgrade on a GT. If you are looking for a dealership to do it, ask how many GT's their tech has done. I wouldn't advise being the guinea pig. Torque values and sequence are critical and it pays to have done it before. Also, it is our experience that TSB 05-10-13 should also be performed at the same time as preventative maintenance.

Don't get the Ford axle bolt kit. Get the ARP set.

The Ford kit has MUCH thicker/better spacers and the Accufab kits have better (ARP) bolts. Neither kit has had any post-install failures. For those that are crazy about originality, the Ford kit provides the original OEM perimeter bolts. Ironically, the Ford kit is about 1/2 the price of the Accufab kit right now - but you have to deal with the pain-in-the-ass ordering process that Ford has in place. Either kit is fine.

Last edited:

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
With all due respect and the creation of the book........ vin 360 needed it and off the record the highest replaced was above 550, not to put a certain number car out there :).
Again unless its leaking on the floor, its fine.
Your safe above 600 ish .........
I knew the guy replacing then :)
Ive always used the Ford replacement bolts as well, Its amazing how THIN the originals were with all that power and weight.
They are one and done with the torque. By todays Mclaren/New FordGT/Ferrari twin turbo and P1, imho, its not that complicated.
If you can do it.
Enjoy
GTJOEY1314

charger440

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
Duluth, Georgia
Thanks a lot for all the responses. Very helpful! Thanks to Jeff (the Grey Ghost) who offered to provide a Ford Oasis report. My car does have an oil leak.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Charger whats the vin? Once the speedy sleeve is on, its dryer than a mercedes benz...
The gtguys can do it in their sleep if you in that area.
Good luck! your probably in the 200 vin range around that time,
GTJOEY1314

charger440

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
Duluth, Georgia
You are correct, vin ...201

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My car does have an oil leak.
Do you have a pans-off view of where the oil is coming from? Although with VIN 201, you are in the "suspect" range for the rear main seal leak, there's a couple of other oil leak candidates that should be eliminated before you press forward with a pulling the exhaust, transaxle, clutch, & flywheel. One small bit of good news is that the axle bolt labor should add little to nothing to this cost as the outer bolts have to be removed anyway when slipping the transaxle back.

charger440

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
Duluth, Georgia
Planning to remove the pans this weekend for a better look before deciding on any further action. Good point regarding the axle bolt labor. Thanks.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A couple of places to look. Oil leaks are relatively uncommon in a GT but the following are the ones to look for;

1. Dripping from bottom of bell housing - most likely a rear seal
2. Inspect 1" dia braided steel hose where it attaches to pan. There's an o-ring there that sometimes fails
3. Inspect oil reservoir - in rare cases over-torquing the drain bolt can crack weld around the bung
4. Look at bottom of black cover protecting oil pump belt. Drips there?
5. Oil on side of reservoir can be because of aging ~1" diameter hose on top of reservoir
6. On driver's side, look at oil cooler - some early model are known to crack
7. Above oil cooler is oil filter - potentially not tightened or no cleaned up after sloppy change

Let us know what you find. Fingers crossed that its any of the things besides a rear main seal!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't forget the well documented weeping from the transmission overflows

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Charger just for giggles take a picture of your center toggle switches lit up.
Is one ORANGE?....Very early cars used left over prototype parts to clean out the shelves........
Take a picture .
gtjoey1314

charger440

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
Duluth, Georgia
The Rear Defrost light is orange. IMG_4687.jpg

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
SEE, This forum is still INTERESTING.........YOUR defrost toggle is a pre production toggle.
Around 275 or so it is white like the others.......NEAT HISTORY NO?
Next because I love the build process, IS YOU ANTENNA ACROSS THE WINDSCREEN OR DOWN THE DRIVERS PILLAR, Take a picture.
Or easier does your radio reception stink? :)
gtjoey1314

charger440

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
Duluth, Georgia
The antenna runs across the windscreen from center to the passenger side. Radio reception is OK.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Very good there were two suppliers up to about vin 500.
Vin 360 had the buried antenna up the drivers pillar.It made the glass look clean but the wire was buried in the rubber seal blocking the reception......you got lucky! :)
gtjoey1314