Dead battery?

1931imperial

GT Owner
May 15, 2006
Drove car 2 days ago now everything dead
Over last 5 hours I’ve held reset button down 4 times for 10 seconds- door latches etc still not functioning. Was going to jump it -pull cable unlatches door but as door goes up window prevents door opening & you have to get into car to unlatch frunk
2019 #99
Anybody????

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
i just had the same thing, 2-3 weeks ago. Had to jack up passenger side with low profile long reach jack ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1ZCN0I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) remove front wheel (Look at lug nuts post https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/socket-for-titanium-lug-nuts.37152/) and remove wheel well, pull the push pins out and it removes fairly easily. Look forward for battery, pull red positive terminal rubber boot and reach a jumper cable in there. I have a lithium boost battery pack, started the car and lowered the damn windows, and left the doors open. Open the front cover (frunk) and block the latch with a towel.! Had 1.4 volts and would not charge. You will need that battery terminal access to the load the car after another jump. Mine is 3 yrs +, how old is your car? Pm me if any other questions.

Last edited:

khalid0

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2016
Dubai
Drove car 2 days ago now everything dead
Over last 5 hours I’ve held reset button down 4 times for 10 seconds- door latches etc still not functioning. Was going to jump it -pull cable unlatches door but as door goes up window prevents door opening & you have to get into car to unlatch frunk
2019 #99
Anybody????
Had the same problem few months ago, the ford dealer guys came took off the front right wheel to access the battery.
After that I alway keep the front latch open whenever the car is left to park even if the trickle charger is plugged in the back, I learned my lesson.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Just FYI there are battery power terminals in the engine bay. No need to disassemble the front wheel well.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Where in the back? On the “old ones (2017)” too? Can it carry the 7+ amps to get the car to life?

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I think the engine/storage compartment battery terminal (standard 12-volt plug) is only on 2019 and newer.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Where in the back? On the “old ones (2017)” too? Can it carry the 7+ amps to get the car to life?
I own a 2019 and mine is located in the back right corner under this cover. I am not sure about 2017-2018 models. Karl might be correct and the 2019 model year could be the first year.
2115C008-835E-4A9F-868F-1679123E1D1E.jpeg

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I own a 2019 and mine is located in the back right corner under this cover. I am not sure about 2017-2018 models. Karl might be correct and the 2019 model year could be the first year.
View attachment 60950
Chris,
Do you have a cigarette 'lighter' charger in the storage compartment?

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Chris,
Do you have a cigarette 'lighter' charger in the storage compartment?
Yes

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
My almost daily storage habit is to: raise wing, lower driver’s window 1/4”, and plug maintainer in. Even though I may drive the vehicle the next day, I have piece of mind knowing I can access all areas of the car.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I do same but I also pull the hood release lever and pop the hood to the secondary latch.
Andy (ajb)

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Leaving the hood popped would obviate the need for cracking the window?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Yes, but it is a "backup to the backup" just in case....
How long are the lithium ion vehicle batteries supposed to last?
Andy (ajb)

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
“Yes, but it is a "backup to the backup" just in case....”

And what if it is parked at the mall, and it might rain? Windows open and frunk released? It needs a high current terminal access in the rear and a battery booster stored in there. I will be looking into that.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Ok. I do not pop hood or leave window down in areas where I cannot watch vehicle.
I do not use my vehicle as much as you do.
I only have 7,100 miles on ODO.

Since our cars are 2017's a "power point" in the engine compartment would be nice.
From reading this thread the newer models have the power point?
Andy (ajb)

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Yes, but it is a "backup to the backup" just in case....
How long are the lithium ion vehicle batteries supposed to last?
Andy (ajb)

Any info or numbers known about replaced batteries so far on NFGT's? The battery lifetime question from Andy still left open. :oops:

My battery seams to be "kind of dead" after 3+ years. NFGT OE 2018 charger shows no issues when connected. The car managed to start only once from this point. Do I need to wake up the battery by means of a jump starter? Does it need replacement?
Thanks.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Any info or numbers known about replaced batteries so far on NFGT's? The battery lifetime question from Andy still left open. :oops:

My battery seams to be "kind of dead" after 3+ years. NFGT OE 2018 charger shows no issues when connected. The car managed to start only once from this point. Do I need to wake up the battery by means of a jump starter? Does it need replacement?
Thanks.
Hello Pro_GT_driver,
The original Ford GT Lithium ion battery is being replaced by another type of Lithium ion battery that will need to have the battery tray and an electrical connector replaced as well. So are you having issues with the battery maintainer or the battery itself ? If you would like to give me a call I could help and advise the best course of action.

Joe

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Hi Joe,
Thanks for good info provided and help! My charger works fine, the battery charges normally but it is not keeping the charge without charger connected. So it definitely needs replacement.
I assume I'm not the first experiencing this.
Will check with my local dealer about Ford Europe battery replacement instructions.
Enjoy the rest of the year. Great forum (y)

Reactions: JWZ and italianjoe

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Hello Pro_GT_driver,
The original Ford GT Lithium ion battery is being replaced by another type of Lithium ion battery that will need to have the battery tray and an electrical connector replaced as well. So are you having issues with the battery maintainer or the battery itself ? If you would like to give me a call I could help and advise the best course of action.

Joe
I Just had this issue for the first-time last week. I did not get the charger in all the way in the truck port and the charger was not charging. It had only been that way 5 days, but the battery was in safe mode and nothing electrical worked. Once I reset the charger the battery charged up with no issues but when I shipped to the Rally it was not charged for 7+ days with no issues

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Hello Pro_GT_driver,

Joe

My car would not start after it was delivered by Reliable to ICON after Rally 13. Joe worked on the starter, battery and finally replaced one of the power modules. Ill let him explain if he wants. He knows these cars.

Joe is delivering by trailer tomorrow. Great service!

Reactions: italianjoe and JWZ