Public service announcement: List of Ford GTs at upcoming auctions (with links)

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
More numbers.

So that Bring a Trailer buyer had a budget of $264,000 for that car, and the seller got $259,000 of that. Pretty efficient. (BaT buyers fee is 5%, up to a maximum of $5k. In this high-price sale, that $5k equalled 2.1%)

In a typical normal BJ/Mecum/etc auction (let’s say 10% buyer fee and 10% seller fee), the same buyer with the same budget would bid $240,000, then pay an additional 10% buyer fee ($240 + $24 = $264), for the same total.

But instead of the seller getting $259,000 like the BaT auction, he would get only $216,000 ($240,000 hammer minus 10%).

For a seller to net the same $259,000 as the BaT auction, the car would have to sell for $316,556 ($287,778 hammer plus 10% buyer fee).

I have both bought and sold cars on BaT (although they were significantly lower priced cars than GTs), and I think it’s a pretty interesting concept.

Last edited:

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Not really considering the CarFax blemish (not explained very well IMO) and the $5k to BAT. And the formula includes the optional wheels....

I don’t think cars with options sell for more than cars without options.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
FYI RM Palm Beach has bagged the in person auction next weekend (~March 20th), in favor of on line only. There is a red, at least supposed to be offered (who knows if it will be pulled or what)

A low mile red was just listed on BaT.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
More numbers.

So that Bring a Trailer buyer had a budget of $264,000 for that car, and the seller got $259,000 of that. Pretty efficient. (BaT buyers fee is 5%, up to a maximum of $5k. In this high-price sale, that $5k equalled 2.1%)

In a typical normal BJ/Mecum/etc auction (let’s say 10% buyer fee and 10% seller fee), the same buyer with the same budget would bid $240,000, then pay an additional 10% buyer fee ($240 + $24 = $264), for the same total.

But instead of the seller getting $259,000 like the BaT auction, he would get only $216,000 ($240,000 hammer minus 10%).

For a seller to net the same $259,000 as the BaT auction, the car would have to sell for $316,556 ($287,778 hammer plus 10% buyer fee).

I have both bought and sold cars on BaT (although they were significantly lower priced cars than GTs), and I think it’s a pretty interesting concept.

The house is the winner.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
April Barrett Jackson Palm Beach auction rescheduled to Oct.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
April Barrett Jackson Palm Beach auction rescheduled to Oct.

Not surprising what so ever.

QSS

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Not surprising what so ever.

QSS

Otober will have 27 rally’s, bashes auctions, shows and gos we all want to do that have been reschedule..... and or scheduled.... dang..... were in for hitting 6-8 of em!!!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Barrett Jackson had an on-line only auction this week. Two Ford GTs:

2005 red sold for 250K (+10%)

2018 did not meet reserve

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
centerpunch I'm still reading thru this thread but was wondering if you would place an 11-mile red, 4-option seemingly unmolested, running fine '05 on your chart for a suggested price offer I should consider making? I had already intended to tabulate and chart all the sales I could find, just for this purpose, but apparently you've already done it! 🍻 Thank you ... Let me know where to send the fee :)

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
centerpunch I'm still reading thru this thread but was wondering if you would place an 11-mile red, 4-option seemingly unmolested, running fine '05 on your chart for a suggested price offer I should consider making? I had already intended to tabulate and chart all the sales I could find, just for this purpose, but apparently you've already done it! 🍻 Thank you ... Let me know where to send the fee :)

If you look through this thread, you’ll see that the near-zero mile cars sell for big bucks.

Assuming you plan to drive the car at all, I’d suggest looking for a car with “normal” mileage, which seems to be maybe 3k to 10k miles.

Also worth noting, red cars with all options are the most common configuration. About 1/3 of 2005’s and 1/4 of all GTs are red with stripes. I see from your other posts you also like silver- a much rarer color.

There is some good some info on color and option numbers in this post:

And this one:

EDIT: not sure those links work for non-owners, so I’ve added the images to this post.

PS Although I am one of the few guys who correctly predicted that these cars would sell for MSRP after the early sales at big markups, I also predicted that the cars would not appreciate, so my opinion has proven to be as accurate as a coin toss.

9998182A-01B6-45B4-BDEB-8F0F615982F0.jpeg58B319F3-B84E-4CEF-8DAB-57C478604B16.jpeg383CB71A-B1FD-4B73-A376-B84A27D5CCDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: extrap and roketman

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

This 29 mile red car looks like a good comp for your 11 mile red car:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Jesus I hate it when people use the term unmolested in lieu of unmodified.

Get a grip. It's an effing car, not a child.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Jesus I hate it when people use the term unmolested in lieu of unmodified.

Get a grip. It's an effing car, not a child.

I've never encountered anybody before who felt so strongly about that word.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Well, nowadays unmolested can actually mean, unmolested. Have you ever seen the show, "I love my ****". Freaks!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
This 29 mile red car looks like a good comp for your 11 mile red car:

Yes it does! Sold at $382K. The 11-mile car's asking price is $22K lower than that. But they wouldn't have to pay BJ's 8% (correct?) seller's fee ie $30,536, so they netted $351,164 ... and there may have been transport costs to bring it to BJ. So it's starting to "seem" like the 11-mi seller is in the ballpark at $360K, after a slightly lower offer ... maybe. Still thinking ...

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Well, nowadays unmolested can actually mean, unmolested. Have you ever seen the show, "I love my ****". Freaks!

Haven't you ever pictured a sleazy grease monkey making half-assed guesses and cutting corners and duct tape repairing a car, kinda fixing this but also damaging that, in a shitty grease-ball way? I'm not sure I'm using the right descriptive words, but in my mind it feels like the actual molestation 🤪 of an expensive car. Anyway, alright alright I'll stop using that word. Try anyway.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
If you look through this thread, you’ll see that the near-zero mile cars sell for big bucks.

Assuming you plan to drive the car at all, I’d suggest looking for a car with “normal” mileage, which seems to be maybe 3k to 10k miles.

Also worth noting, red cars with all options are the most common configuration. About 1/3 of 2005’s and 1/4 of all GTs are red with stripes. I see from your other posts you also like silver- a much rarer color.

There is some good some info on color and option numbers in this post:

And this one:

EDIT: not sure those links work for non-owners, so I’ve added the images to this post.

PS Although I am one of the few guys who correctly predicted that these cars would sell for MSRP after the early sales at big markups, I also predicted that the cars would not appreciate, so my opinion has proven to be as accurate as a coin toss.

That's a bunch more great info ... thanks again, a lot. I need to digest all this (y)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I've never encountered anybody before who felt so strongly about that word.

It isn't just your comment, I know you just meant you want a stock, unmodified car.

I am getting worn down by those that use it to denigrate any car not stock, especially when they want to imply a value hit (legitimate or not). The worst are the classic Muscle guys who enjoyed their modified cars to the hilt when values weren't a concern. Now they compete in "correctness" pretending their 50 year old Shelby/GTO/Z28 has never spent a moment in anything other assembly line perfection.

There is enough room for all of us.

Reactions: PL510*Jeff

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just got the catalog for the Barrett Jackson Fall 2020 auction. This was previously held at the Mandalay Bay here in Vegas, but everything is shut down so they are holding it at the usual location (I call it the "horse arena") in Scottsdale.

There are two Ford GTs present. One 2005 red car 900 some miles. Also a 2018 NFGT.

This could be a real opportunity for folks. Why?

Because the only people allowed on site are consigners, bidders and guests. Attendance will be way down. Even the number of bidders will be lower than usual. This represents some opportunity since there will be less competition for the cars, and the bidders that are there are more likely to not be of the "powered by alcohol" type that can drive prices up.

There are some really nice cars besides the GTs there too. One is a 70 Superbird. The other is a personal old time favorite - a 1959 190SL.

A quick look through the catalog and I didn't see any reserve cars.

Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Barrett-Jackson, that is. I wasn't sure so looked it up:

Thanks! (y)