How low can you go?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Just curious to see the DTE limits others have pushed on their NFGTs... BBEBA231-0E34-4AD5-95F2-8A7835FF557C.jpeg
I did manage to go a few miles lower before reaching a fuel station. I don’t like going this low, but with the range being limited on these cars, I’d like to know the DTE is fairly accurate.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you get that low and you’re nervous put it in wet mode and you’ll get better gas mileage

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Be careful finding the limit. Like the 05-06 GTs, I'm sure high pressure/high volume fuel pumps are employed. They absolutely do NOT like running dry. It's fatal for the 05-06 fuel pumps.

Reactions: Special K

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Fuel capacity is 15.2 gallons but the fuel gauge and remaining miles display is set for 13 gallons. This was done to keep the fuel pump happy while racing and turning that the last two gallons are not sloshing around and creating fuel starvation (from an earlier post). https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/...earned-about-your-ngt-today.34918/post-472595. I have seen 0 miles remaining. But not often . Ok, once.

Last edited:

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I've gotten it down to 2. I was a tad nervous.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
1st time I drove the car, I left the shop to get fuel. By the time I got the the gas station I had 0 ZERO DTE. I had a pic, I cant find it.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Why!!!! I have a feeling that you won’t get much help/sympathy setting along the side of the road because you ran out of gas in a $600,000+ car😂😩😜. Only my wife bring the car home with less then 15 miles to empty ⛽😤.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It was the 1st time the car was driven (vs moved around for film etc), I was taking it straight to the station. I never go much below 50, when given the choice.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Fuel capacity is 15.2 gallons but the fuel gauge and remaining miles display is set for 13 gallons. This was done to keep the fuel pump happy while racing and turning that the last two gallons are not sloshing around and creating fuel starvation (from an earlier post). https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/...earned-about-your-ngt-today.34918/post-472595. I have seen 0 miles remaining. But not often . Ok, once.
This makes sense. It only took 11.5 Gallons when I filled it up... I did have it idling at an event for a while in track mode, that could have skewed the DTE calculations too...

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
It’s one of the dumbest gauges on the planet: after tracking the car the computer continues to calculate remaining range based on track mpg, so even though the bar graph shows you having over half a tank the stupid dash is telling you its 40 miles or less to empty

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

My gauge was showing 1 mile to empty when I pulled into a station after dinner a few days ago. Showed 25 miles to empty when I left the garage. 19 miles to empty after I had driven 1 mile, and 10 miles to empty after an easy low speed 5 mile drive to the restaurant. After dinner a 4 mile drive to a station took it down to 1 mile to empty. So yeah, not a real accurate predictor of miles to empty.

Chip

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Chip, did the fuel gauge reflect the correct amount? Like Dave said after running on the track a full tank will show 55 MTE but th gauge shows 4 bars.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have found the bars to be pretty consistently reliable.

samson

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2014
Harrogate TN
Be careful finding the limit. Like the 05-06 GTs, I'm sure high pressure/high volume fuel pumps are employed. They absolutely do NOT like running dry. It's fatal for the 05-06 fuel pumps.

my car locked the door after I started it up and climbed out a few years ago, ran for 4-5 until out of gas. Had a lock smith get in there a day later and make me a spare, I think it was due to low battery. Wonder if that done any to my pumps? I have more external pumps in a canister near the trans cooler to supply the turbos

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip, did the fuel gauge reflect the correct amount? Like Dave said after running on the track a full tank will show 55 MTE but th gauge shows 4 bars.

I can't remember. I was just looking at the miles to empty.

Chip

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
My father always told us, "E means empty, not enough."

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
My father always told us, "E means empty, not enough."
I have to remind customers it's a sideways W for Walk! Everyone wants to hold the dealer responsible and say it said I had five more miles to go. :LOL: