Plugs for engine cover on carbon series

ItsDocJim

Aug 12, 2017
I heard that when you wash your carbon series, water goes through the holes on the engine cover and leaves spots and water marks. Has anyone come up with rubber stoppers that you could put in the holes before you wash it and remove after? Something simple like the hot buttons on the 05/06 (but without holes in the middle and made of rubber.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I haven’t heard of anything...but it’s a good idea.

My car had nasty water spots around the oil filler cap, and they proved nearly impossible to remove. The detail shop that did my PPF finally went after them and got most (but still not all) removed.

After that I put a towel under the engine compartment cover before I washed the car, which worked well...

...until I forgot the last time I washed it. BAM! Spots all over the oil tank again.

If you can remember the towel procedure — laying it out over the oil tank ahead of washing — it works pretty well. Also don’t forget to remove the towel after the wash (yup, forgot to do that more than once, but luckily it didn’t cause an issue for the short time it was there before I remembered).

It’s really only the oil tank area that’s a problem because it’s hot and the water instantly “bakes” onto the tank. Especially if you have hard water and/or lots of chemicals/calcium in it. The intake manifold, carbon fiber covers (“Powered By Ford”) and other areas can also form spots if you let the water dry on them, but they aren’t baked on by high heat, and easily wipe off later.

Definitely a crucial “tip” for anyone writing the “How to own a New Ford GT” guide.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I use painters tape to cover the vents and the opening of the rear window where it gaps at the trunk
I also plug the exhaust with microfibers

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Unless really dirty, I use “ dry wash” in copious amounts, with the ppf and ceramic costing on top, cleans easily with good quality microfiber towels, and quickly, have not experienced swirl marks etc.
I do same on my 05 for years and no problems, also have avoided fog up of headlights as well

Reactions: Ed Sims
Rent or by a Deionized water service tank to wash your car and let it dry. The car, glass, and engine drys spot free without a chamois.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Good suggestions all around. It is really the best to use one of the spot free systems, but I find still using a towel makes things really easy because I use the damp towels once I am done to dab all of the non painted areas.
I used a high quality mag polish like Mothers on the oil tank of Aloha GT as his had some of these spots when it arrived. Wipe with the grain and used micro fiber cloth to buff (again with the grain) and it came out great.

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Good suggestions all around. It is really the best to use one of the spot free systems, but I find still using a towel makes things really easy because I use the damp towels once I am done to dab all of the non painted areas.
I used a high quality mag polish like Mothers on the oil tank of Aloha GT as his had some of these spots when it arrived. Wipe with the grain and used micro fiber cloth to buff (again with the grain) and it came out great.
Yep. I used the same stuff on ours. Worked great. I think also the key is to not wash it while it is hot.

Reactions: Nafod and Apollo

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+ how ever many on a spotless water system. I have had one for years, actually have 2, one home, one at shop. You can buy resin in bulk, and refill.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
+ how ever many on a spotless water system. I have had one for years, actually have 2, one home, one at shop. You can buy resin in bulk, and refill.
Where do you buy resin refills?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
From a resin store.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Its gone up, used to be $100, but still a cubic ft will refill the cartridges quite a few times.

https://usa.windows101.com/collecti...erable-virgin-mixed-bed-di-resin-1-cubic-foot

Where do you buy resin refills?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I also dry wash. Occasionally I'll use Simple Green & wash the wheels/brakes/wells with a hose.

Ed

Our company supples DI exchange rental tanks in Ca. and Az. If interested.
Jim@puretecwater.com.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
While not a Carbon Series, My 2005 was fully PPF and then fully ceramic coated (Rims too)

With waterless wash system, the car hasn't seen soap and water in 3 years.

Easier than