Finally own a Ford GT...

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Congrats! I just bought mine a few months ago too, in addition to the one in my avatar, and absolutely love it!!!!! Now that I've been on this forum for a few months I've sure heard of a lot of new owners. Is a normal trend or did Ford vs Ferrari trigger a bunch of sales?
I believe the FvF movie triggered a bunch of sales. After the movie came out, sales jumped.... and for good reason. The FGT is iconic! It spans 50+ years and it is one of the last of the great manual transmission cars with no nanny's!. Pure driving, visceral experience. Hell ya!!

QSS

Reactions: dreimer and Cadster

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
From one Doug to another! Congrats! Wish you the best and hope to see you at a Rally!

Shit now there are 2 Dougs.

Reactions: dreimer

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
It absolutely did.....I started looking in September at everything with an ask of $250k or less. And there were between 4-6 cars at all times....and then a week or two in advance of the movie they all disappeared...the last one of that group, a local Houston car that had been for sale for 8-9 months (I was told later) at $235k sold on the day the film opened.

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Yeah....so the movie kind of pulled me off the sideline. I had casually been looking until I saw the movie the first time. Then I saw the movie for a second time with my entire family and I started to get real serious. What finally put me completely over the edge, was when I went to the Super Bowl with my son, and we killed a day checking out cars, and I saw a white/blue stripe example. Previously, I had never considered that combo, but about a month later, I had one in my garage.

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I had been looking forever, most seriously in 2007-2008, then again in 2011-2012, and a little more casually in all the periods in between. When the movie came out I had mixed feelings. I wanted the car to stay under the radar and (relatively) underappreciated and unknown and didn't want the movie to drive prices higher. I decided in the end that it didn't matter. The car is too cool NOT to own.

Thankfully, my wife agreed. Except I now owe her a kitchen. I have a short reprieve on the kitchen though because all 3 of our kids are back home from college due to Covid. The minute they go back, I have a feeling my reprieve is over.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Shit now there are 2 Dougs.
3 Doug's. I'm a Doug too.

QSS

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
3 Doug's. I'm a Doug too.

QSS

Damn, Ive heard of double D's before three D's. :D Congratulations on your dream come true. Sounds like your enjoying it to the fullest considering the circumstances.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Congrats! Its truly an amazing car!After 14 years of ownership.I can tell you it never gets old! A shear joy to drive.Put in Scotts shocks.AHLMAN Engineering
www.ahlmaneng.com

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
The movie did it for me. I'd always wanted one, the original, but waaaay out of reach so I figured I'd get a replica Cobra someday. When they came out in 05, and the bidding wars started, they went for way more than MSRP in my hood, plus I'd just purchased a boat so not the right time. I kinda let it go until I saw the movie. Timing was right this time. I kept telling my wife I'm getting one. She kept laughing and said no. I finally sold it to her as diversified investing. It'll only benefit her financially when I'm dead though. I kept shopping online and we went to Barrett with no luck. Then I bought one, white w/blue, in April but didn't tell her. It took a couple weeks to show up at my house. I took off from work to open up the home shop, store it away and go back to work. It was raining when it showed up. I popped the clamshell to drool. It was dirty so I shut shell, the garage, found the wiper switch, and went for a drive. Oh what a feeling! I can't imagine ever feeling like that ever again, and I'm fine with that. I locked it up and went back to work. I came home from work at the normal time, had dinner with my wife, listened to a loooong boring story about her work, and went out to the shop to work on "some stuff". I turned on the lights, set up a camera, and went to get my wife for some "help". She opened the door and saw it. Her jaw dropped and-"No" "Really?" "No, it's a friends" "Is it April fools?" "Really?" is all she could say. After I convinced her it was ours and what it took to get it she asked how I could sleep waiting for it. I reminded her that I hadn't been sleeping well the last week. I said, "lets go for a drive". She said, "in the dark", "in the rain", "lets wait until July when it's nice". Nope! We went for a cruise. She loves the car and colors, says, "it's cute". I'll try to get her to change that to "beautiful", "gorgeous", "bad ass". Her Boxster is "cute". The only problem with my sales pitch is that she doesn't want me to drive it, but lets me. I'll average 1000 miles a year on it, has 11k now, and by the time SHE sells it, hopefully 30+ years, it'll still be worth at least what I paid for it, with the added miles. I will stop driving it in the rain though.......mostly, and for now that's all it's been doing in Renton so no miles. BOOOO!!! I still kiss it goodnight every night and she doesn't give me too much flak about it.

Reactions: DakotaGT and Apollo

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Yeah....so the movie kind of pulled me off the sideline. I had casually been looking until I saw the movie the first time. Then I saw the movie for a second time with my entire family and I started to get real serious. What finally put me completely over the edge, was when I went to the Super Bowl with my son, and we killed a day checking out cars, and I saw a white/blue stripe example. Previously, I had never considered that combo, but about a month later, I had one in my garage.
Other than being the fastest color combo, it is the most attractive!!!

Reactions: GT@50

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
LOl!
RPM, you are delusional.
Everybody knows the fastest color.
YOU just WANT to be the most attractive!
Attractive DOES NOT win the race.
See you soon my friend.
Best,
Mark

Reactions: dreimer and RPM217

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
LOl!
RPM, you are delusional.
Everybody knows the fastest color.
YOU just WANT to be the most attractive!
Attractive DOES NOT win the race.
See you soon my friend.
Best,
Mark
It helps make you "more attractive" (faster too) with a twin turbo on top!!!

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
It's going to take me awhile to get use to this Ford GT power, and you guys are talking about adding twin turbos on top? The one I just purchased has a pulley and tune, long tube headers, and Ford Performance exhaust and I am wondering how long it is going to take to get used to it, or to have special shoes made with spikes in the right shoe insole pushing into my feet to prevent me from pushing down so hard. Or maybe earmuffs. I keep on wanting to push down to hear the exhaust. :)

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
It's going to take me awhile to get use to this Ford GT power, and you guys are talking about adding twin turbos on top? The one I just purchased has a pulley and tune, long tube headers, and Ford Performance exhaust and I am wondering how long it is going to take to get used to it, or to have special shoes made with spikes in the right shoe insole pushing into my feet to prevent me from pushing down so hard. Or maybe earmuffs. I keep on wanting to push down to hear the exhaust. :)

What tires are you running? I swapped the factory original Goodyears for new Bridgestone’s and it made a world of difference.

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I have the Bridgestone Potenzas RE050A. The previous owner used the same but they were a bit on the older side so I replaced them about a month ago with a fresh set. I haven't tested them really yet, but I've used similar Potenza's on my 1988 911 for HPDE's and liked them.

Reactions: Cadster

Tomcat

GT Owner
The one I just purchased has a pulley and tune, long tube headers, and Ford Performance exhaust and I am wondering how long it is going to take to get used to it,
I have had about the same mods for 3-4 years and I still do NOT want for more power. I like the balance between 100% reliability AND performance...without being finicky.