50 shades of red...

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Im starting to spec my MKII, and being a red fanatic, I was thinking of a MKIV tribute livery, somewhat similar to the MKIV heritage but slightly different. MM is suggesting race red, which I think may be the 18 heritage color, but is that the same as MKIV red on the 05-06? Or are they very similar? Red is notriously hard to capture on camera so the shades very a ton from camera to camera, and I've never seen the 18 heritage in person.

Open to other red suggestions. I thought about liquid red but decided to go flat.

Appreciate any help or suggestions.

Cavan

Last edited:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Race Red is hard to beat on a New GT!

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Congrats on your MKII cant wait to see it here in Texas!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Race red is the 18 Heritage color. The 05/06 MKIV red is a darker red to me and fits those cars beautifully. The race red is brighter and I feel makes the new body lines just pop out and works really well on the NFGT. It will look incredible with one of the MM themes.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Race Red, the color of the 18 Heritage, has a little Orange in it. I had my 18 painted MK IV red to match my 05. DBK suggested it. I have been very, very happy with it. It is a one of one for 18. When you stand the two colors next to each other there is a visual difference. I ordered the car with gloss black trim and silver wheels. No stripe.

Reactions: Roadtrip

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Here are some side by side comparisons of the two colors: 115BB972-E3DA-4CA0-B17D-53C343748D11.jpegA47E5943-11CC-46BA-A7FB-23791FD4DFB5.jpeg121E5364-28A8-4914-9A13-609DF74D985C.jpeg5E47F111-52FB-445E-B31A-31FABAEB35E6.jpeg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Ruby Red Metallic.

Attachments

• IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    878.3 KB · Views: 0

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
I kind of prefer the 05/06 red.

Reactions: Special K

LMF427

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2019
California / Florida
A mkiv livery with a new school twist like a metallic red would be awesome

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Thanks for the pics and suggestions. LMF, I had considered a liquid mkIV, still may. But, Im leaning flat for now. Paint samples race red, mkIV, and liquid red on the way. Keep em coming!

Reactions: Special K

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
You are welcome to come to Wichita Falls to see my liquid red, if seeing one in person would help.

Cheers,

EddieIMG_20200131_114120 (2).jpg2019 Ford GT right rear.jpg2019-02-09 10.52.25.jpg2019-08-14 19.30.08.jpg

The color changes with different lighting, and looks different outside in natural light than it does inside. But I love all the different shades.

Reactions: jr66

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Thank you Eddie, there’s a good chance I’ll take you up on that!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I kind of prefer the 05/06 red.
I think it’s a great example of paring the right color to the right car. I think if the colors were swapped on the cars, neither would look as good.

Last edited:

ItsDocJim

Aug 12, 2017
They are all glorious and happy to have a GT in any color. I am wondering how similar liquid red would be to a "candy apple"? I see the liquid reds are gorgeous in the sun, but look much darker in the shade. Just wondering if it would sparkle more in the shade???

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
ANY COLOR IS A WINNER!

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
After many years of observing peoples reaction to cars in car shows, here is a summary of my observations regarding color:
- Meandering thru a line up of cars, black and red catch peoples eyes the most. People will look past other colors to focus on the black and red cars. Assuming similiar class of cars.
- The most observed and prefered solid red of all time is Ferrari red. This tends to be more of a deep red. Some refer to it as a blood red.
- The most observed and prefered metallic red would be candy apple red. Similar to the NFGT liquid red.
- As solid deep red is brightened it tends toward orange.
- A solid brighter red looks great, however, when parked next to a darker or deeper red it tends to look like a faded or sun bleached red. Peoples eyes will prefer the deeper red.
- However, standing alone, the bright red is more eye catching than the deep red.
Again, these comments are based on observations of the general public. Of course, every individual will prefer and see colors differently.

Reactions: daytrayd

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^^isn't that pretty subjective?

Personally, applying that to my own subjective opinion, I would not have fallen into any of your descriptive categories.

For example, when it comes to Ferraris, the only colors I am drawn to are those not-red.

Red Ferrari? Meh, have seen it a million times. Metallic brown Ferrari? Now we're talking. 😏

Attachments

• IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: BAT

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
^^^isn't that pretty subjective?

Personally, applying that to my own subjective opinion, I would not have fallen into any of your descriptive categories.

For example, when it comes to Ferraris, the only colors I am drawn to are those not-red.

Red Ferrari? Meh, have seen it a million times. Metallic brown Ferrari? Now we're talking. 😏

Correct. Observations of purely subjective general public reaction, not necessarily representative of any individual preference, including my own. As noted in my last two sentences. :)

Last edited:

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Before we were picked for a Heritage model I was taking in all colors and was leaning toward a Blue car. One day while driving I noticed a rather eye catching color on a Dodge truck. It is what I would have called Black Cherry with metalic and after looking up the color code that Dodge calls it Deep Molten Red. I would highly recomend you see this color in person as the color transforms with sunlight and would look great if you are not committed to a certain color yet. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Correct. Observations of purely subjective general public reaction, not necessarily representative of any individual preference, including my own. As noted in my last two sentences. :)

Yes, I caught the disclaimer, but how could anyone really be sure what the general public's preferences are?

What if the observations were made at the "I love red cars" car show? About the only way I can personally trust color preferences is by sales #'s. Judging by all the white and beige vehicles on the road, I don't think red is even in the running.

BTW, this is all in fun on this side of the discussion (hard to pick up in text).