Handling at the limit?

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Beautiful combination, congratulations. Not to beat a horse to much but as with any car tires are your connection to the track. Hoosier R7’s make it a great track car. I added a rear wing and the change was spectacular, added around 200# to the rear at corner speeds. Not a lot of shifting required with the gearing and great engine torque. Drive them and enjoy.

No worries, it's always good advice and bears repeating. I've been racing GT cars since 2013 and have achieved a reasonable level of (amateur-level) skill over the years, but I'm always inclined to treat a new car with caution until I know how it likes to be driven. I'll find some safe corners to explore how the GT behaves before bending it into Laguna's T4 at full honk :)

On a separate note, I assume "who should I send a low-mileage car to for a full service before driving it" is an FAQ on this board, but I didn't spot said FAQ. Does anyone have a pointer handy?

Reactions: Special K

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
GTGuys in Detroit. Or Kendall in CA

Reactions: jaxgt

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Thanks to what I've learned from you all, getting a ride from Rocket Man at Miller, and then finally almost learning the hard way, Hoosiers are the only way to go.
Talked to one of the P2 drivers for Jumbo Racing, he showed me a vid of him driving his 06 on GY's sliding all over the place and said I call the car the widow maker. I explained it was all about the tires and he'd be amazed at the difference with the right tires! His response in Dutch was as soon as I return to Holland goodbye to the GY's.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Congrats Treynor! The '05-06 really shine in the Mile events where we know our forum member Mark has taken his to over 300mph. I love driving on the track but anything over 200 is a thrill.

Ed

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
No worries, it's always good advice and bears repeating. I've been racing GT cars since 2013 and have achieved a reasonable level of (amateur-level) skill over the years, but I'm always inclined to treat a new car with caution until I know how it likes to be driven. I'll find some safe corners to explore how the GT behaves before bending it into Laguna's T4 at full honk :)

On a separate note, I assume "who should I send a low-mileage car to for a full service before driving it" is an FAQ on this board, but I didn't spot said FAQ. Does anyone have a pointer handy?

Don't you have a place at Thermal? Kendall (not4re) would be closest to you and I think he or his son even will make the trip to you. I'm sure the car will be fun but not compare to your MKII.

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Don't you have a place at Thermal? Kendall (not4re) would be closest to you and I think he or his son even will make the trip to you. I'm sure the car will be fun but not compare to your MKII.

I do not have a place at Thermal -- it's a wonderful facility, but I built a home close to Laguna Seca instead -- and thank you and others for the recommendation. My GT is heading to Kendall's shop this weekend for its out-of-hibernation spa treatment before I loose it on the streets of Carmel.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Look forward to seeing it on the streets of Carmel neighbor :)

Reactions: Ed Sims and treynor

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Look forward to seeing it on the streets of Carmel neighbor :)

You and me both! Shouldn't be too long now...

Reactions: Awsum GT