Getting ready order lifts: width recommendations?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Which model?
I bought this one.
The price includes freight, which basically means freight is already baked into the price. So if you pick it up in person, they will discount the price. They typically have a list of installers they can provide to you. I had the installer pick up the lift as part of the installation fee.

Reactions: Cadster

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Im looking into and trying to decide if "double wides" will work for me (2 cars up on just 4 posts). I have found that 4 posts next to eachother is clunky, taking up floor space. Note this is storage only, no work. Part of my pondering is how much work moving 2 cars from under the lift will be. (and the cars in front of those). Loving the triple heights, we have the height, but they need to be bolted down, but we have radiant heat in the floor. Decisions decisions...

I had a custom double wide lift fabricated about nine or ten years ago. The TX company that did the fabrication was called Gemini and/or Rad Lift... I seem to recall that one company was acquiring the other at the time, but I cannot recall which company was doing the acquiring.

When my lift was fabricated, Gemini built their lifts in the US from US-made steel. I love my lift, but Gemini was an absolute BITCH to deal with! They told me that my lift would be delivered six weeks after I ordered it... it was delivered SIX MONTHS after I ordered it!

When I did my due diligence, I found a couple of lift manufacturers who offered double wide lifts, however, the widest was only 16 feet wide. The garage door opening that my lift sits behind is 18' wide. Keeping safety in mind, I did not want the lift's columns to sit inside of the garage door opening; where an inattentive driver might hit a column when parking under the lift. At the time, Gemini was the only company I could find that had the capability to engineer a lift with 18' clear between the columns.

I also ordered 4' long aluminum ramps with my lift. I can drive my '06 GT onto the lift with no clearance problems at all. I have not yet put my 2020 GT on the lift, however I do not believe that I will have an issue with clearance... especially if I raise the front end of the GT.

A point to keep in mind is that you will have to be selective about which cars you park on the right side of your double wide lift. I try to avoid parking my '06 GT on the right side of the lift. As you know, the door on the '06 has to be opened very wide in order to make egress easy. It is easier to simply park the GT on the left side of the lift where the GT's door can be opened fully without worrying about hitting the car parked next to the GT.

Another thing to keep in mind is clearance under the lift. Obviously, none of us knew anything about the NFGT ten years ago. I got lucky; I have enough clearance that I can fully open the doors to my 2020 GT when it is parked under the lift.

Fyi, the guy who helped me with the installation of my lift was about 75 years-old. He had installed lifts for most of his life... including the old style gas station lifts with the hydraulic ram buried into the ground. While we were doing the installation, he mentioned that in his opinion Rotary makes the best quality lift. I wouldn't even bother to mention this, excepting for the fact that during the ensuing years I have heard a lot of people speak very highly of Rotary Lifts. I have no skin in this game... I am simply tossing information to you.
Cheers,
Lee

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Steel Valley Lifts. New name, used to be Back yard Buddy. Between my dad and I we have 5 lifts. Never ever an issue. And most importantly.... not made in China. Made in Ohio with American Steel

Reactions: Cadster

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Just like one of the other members here I have a Rotary. Rotary is the brand one normally sees in a professional mechanics garage.
The Revolution 9000lb is perfect.
Have done many oil changes under it onnthe GT.
You get what you pay for.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
BTW,..... due to tariffs etc expect to pay more for any lift today than you would have a few years ago.
Sh!t happens right.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Do you have rolling jacks on the Revolution 9000?

I didn’t see the option on their web site.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
1586548030189.png

This is what I have for my Revolution 4 post lift.