GT Availability

W G Greig

Nov 22, 2018
Just wondering if anyone has any general advice about how to stay on top of GTs as they come to the market and/or if prospective buyers want to change their minds

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I'll take a shot at this.

The GT allocations are non transferable. If folks back out the car will probably go to people that applied and were not given an allocation.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Yep. Some folks are selling those at the two yr mark so those pop up

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I find it interesting that just by asking i was able to get my window moved up from last half 2021 to 3rd quarter this year. Makes me think some are backing out. My 2 cents worth

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
I don't know..there was no wait / backup list that I'm aware of. You were either approved or you weren't. I tried getting them to reconsider without success.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I don't know..there was no wait / backup list that I'm aware of. You were either approved or you weren't. I tried getting them to reconsider without success.
All who have been approved have been give a delivery time slot. Mine was last half of 2021.

A

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I find it interesting that just by asking i was able to get my window moved up from last half 2021 to 3rd quarter this year. Makes me think some are backing out. My 2 cents worth

The reason you were able to move up is because of where you are located and what you were willing to order. There is going to be a large period of time beginning later this year where cars are almost exclusively going to Europe. That’s been an uncertain prospect due to regulatory reasons and has required order shuffling. At certain times, they’ve needed people to fill the X/Y ratio of Series/Standard cars. They forecast tick rates and parts needs, and then depending on a variety of factors, they may ask people to order immediately if they will take a non-ecp car, a carbon series car, etc so long as they can do it now.

It has nothing to do with backing out. Originally the process was supposed to take 180 days. At times, people have been called and asked to put down a deposit and lock in an order within 14 days.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
[QUOTE="DBK, post: 506983,

It has nothing to do with backing out. Originally the process was supposed to take 180 days. At times, people have been called and asked to put down a deposit and lock in an order within 14 days.
[/QUOTE]

Such as my case and I was more than happy to oblige :)

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
At times, people have been called and asked to put down a deposit and lock in an order within 14 days.

CALL ME! ;-)

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
The reason you were able to move up is because of where you are located and what you were willing to order. There is going to be a large period of time beginning later this year where cars are almost exclusively going to Europe. That’s been an uncertain prospect due to regulatory reasons and has required order shuffling. At certain times, they’ve needed people to fill the X/Y ratio of Series/Standard cars. They forecast tick rates and parts needs, and then depending on a variety of factors, they may ask people to order immediately if they will take a non-ecp car, a carbon series car, etc so long as they can do it now.

[/Q

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Thank's for clarifying.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri

Glad to be wrong.

ch_petrolhead

Aug 20, 2016
Swiss Mountains
I know that some did back out in Europe due to the current stock market (Covid-19...). But I don't think it affects that much the delivery schedule. The explanation provided by DBK seems more correct to me.

Also many cars are heading to Europe this and next year (they finally got the technical approval lately). I'm currently planned for an early car in first half of 2021, will see if it moves or not :)

But I am not aware of a wait list this time. So what will they do if let's say 10 people back out ? Give a call and allocate again ? Or just not produce them ? :unsure:

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Also depends on where you live. For example they won't deliver cars in Ontario and maybe Canada until April or May because of winter weather. The tires are not rated for below a certain temp (which i don't recall, somewhere around freezing or just above). Same thing for the Mustang with a track pack. I was told no deliveries until after April because of the same thing with the tires.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've always thought Europe would be by far the weakest market for the car. It's often comically expensive, it's not a brand new car, there's an incredible amount of competitive ways to spend the money, there were barely any 05/06 cars there (officially), and IMO they just allocated way too many units in the market. Add in the timing of a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic and it's a bad mix. I anticipate a decent number of people backing out.

As far as what will happen to any units that become available via attrition, just respond to the original concierge e-mail and reiterate your interest. There is no official waiting list, but there have consistently been plenty of people asking for a car. They will only ever officially tell you that there is no waiting list and no more units, but reality dictates some people who were not officially granted a car will end up being able to order one.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
My build was a combination of good fortune, having everything in order, and seizing all opportunities to expedite the build process. Here’s the timeline:
10/16 Initial concierge call (spec’d the car)
10/17 Order locked
10/31 First deposit made
10/31 VIN assigned
~1/15 Production began
01/28 Multimatic tour
02/22 Car ready for delivery
03/02 Actual Delivery
03/12 Vehicle titled and registered
03/16 First drive with PPF installed

5 months from dream to reality! 😊

ch_petrolhead

Aug 20, 2016
Swiss Mountains
I've always thought Europe would be by far the weakest market for the car. It's often comically expensive, it's not a brand new car, there's an incredible amount of competitive ways to spend the money, there were barely any 05/06 cars there (officially), and IMO they just allocated way too many units in the market. Add in the timing of a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic and it's a bad mix. I anticipate a decent number of people backing out.

My point of view from the other side of the Atlantic:
- For sure Europe isn't the same market as North America, that's a fact. And yes in some markets they are ridiculously expensive (nordic countries comes first in my mind). But as almost all cars tends to be more expensive there, it doesn't make them ridiculously expensive compared to another car in the same market. It jut makes them ridiculously expensive compared to another market such as the USA. Anyway in Europe, for most countries the price bump is approx. 20% compared to the USA price.
- You are 100% right about the 05/06 that officially made their way to Europe, it's only 101. But many many cars were imported afterwards. That make me think that the 05/06 allocation was too low for Europe. But, yes, the % of NFGT for Europe seems important compared to what is the % of 05/06 in Europe (official import and parallel import). Only time will tell if they deliver them in excess...
- Pandemic is a world wide problem now, it's not only impacting China and Europe, so some back out will occur in all markets IMO.

So I agree mostly with you, just putting some nuance ;)

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Just received this email.

Hello Mr. Surdyke,

Effective immediately, the Ford GT production and deliveries have stopped until further notice due to current global events. I will be sure to keep you and Tom at Dave Sinclair Ford informed on the latest updates.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Megan

Ford GT Concierge

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Out of an abundance of caution and a desire to keep my powder dry i ask my Concierge if Ford would allow me to withdraw my current order and my deposit refunded and have my original delivery window return. No serial number had been assigned. She checked with her manager and permission was granted. With all the uncertainty at this time it seemed like a very wise move on my part and i thank Ford for understanding. We are in uncharted territory. God help us.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Out of an abundance of caution and a desire to keep my powder dry i ask my Concierge if Ford would allow me to withdraw my current order and my deposit refunded and have my original delivery window return. No serial number had been assigned. She checked with her manager and permission was granted. With all the uncertainty at this time it seemed like a very wise move on my part and i thank Ford for understanding. We are in uncharted territory. God help us.
I'm glad they allowed you to do that. Crazy times!!