New car questions

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I have a set of lift pucks from Cooltech. Make me an offer.

For part numbers the service manual on CD is invaluable if you can find one. If you don't have one (you should) then I start with www.fordparts.com. I just checked they still took a 2005-2006 Ford GT VIN. For most groups there is a picture with part numbers. Some of them you can drill down and get a higher resolution photo. Those photos are the same ones on the CD.

The best pricing on parts was always (for me) Tasca - www.tascaparts.com but theirs won't take a 2005-2006 GT but you can look up by part number or call them.

PS. If you're starting into the DIY service (I did all my own work) then you should also know about the third lift point... You can jack at the center just behind the door and lift both front and rear at the same time to get jack stands underneath. The lift point is the center bar where the two belly pans come together. If you look at the edge by the rocker you'll see the structural part. Be sure to go inboard a little to get it on the frame member and not on the rocker seam like you would do on some types of vehicles. There is a photo of the third lift. I'll try to find it tomorrow.

Edit: Ha! Found it.
Thanks for info.
Do you have 4 pucks? Dunno what to offer, two chickens? $75+ride
The workshop manual shows two more lift points up front, closer to the body seam too.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Zero issues with the aluminum vents

Part of the validation of the car, was roadside, and semis driving by, seeing if the clam shell would blow shut. With healthy lift struts, its fine. No prop rod is made, make your own if you think you need it.

Lift pucks are fine, but I use a simpler cheaper option, hockey pucks. For 15 years, no issues. As I type, the 05 is on them.

Service manual is no longer available at www.helminc.com (publisher), but they are out there both paper, and CD-ROM

What options do I have for clamshell vents?

Shell stops. Mine are solid. Are the struts supposed to lift shell when I pop the release? It pops up but just enough to lift it and do the safety catches. Do the spring loaded stops help this?

My struts hold the shell up but I wouldn't trust it. Is there a prop-rod available?

Where can I get the lift "pucks"?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Zero issues with the aluminum vents

Part of the validation of the car, was roadside, and semis driving by, seeing if the clam shell would blow shut. With healthy lift struts, its fine. No prop rod is made, make your own if you think you need it.

Lift pucks are fine, but I use a simpler cheaper option, hockey pucks. For 15 years, no issues. As I type, the 05 is on them.

Service manual is no longer available at www.helminc.com (publisher), but they are out there both paper, and CD-ROM
Awesome, I'm headed to Big 5 today for shoes. I'll get 4 pucks too.
I have paper workshop and electrical manuals, just looking for a site with exploded parts diagrams with part numbers. Tasca and Ford parts don't show all the pieces of the car.
Thanks

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Ron- Try Bowen Scarff Ford in Kent for service & parts. They service 15-20 GT's a year. Parts guys know GT's.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Ron- Try Bowen Scarff Ford in Kent for service & parts. They service 15-20 GT's a year. Parts guys know GT's.

It's RoB, no worries.
I deal with Evergreen Ford daily but never for this car. The owner has one so that might help.
Bowen services 15-20 per year? Crazy that it's been 2 years since I've seen one, and I'm in Issaquah every day.

Big 5 didn't have pucks so I went to the Ice Arena near my house. They don't sell pucks, whooda thought. He did say, "go out to the practice area and grab 4, no charge". Car is in the air.

If Tom can't figure out stuff I'll give Bowen a call.
Thanks,
Rob

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
What options do I have for clamshell vents? I'd like to set these aside so they don't get damaged from heat.
Have there been any ill effects from the billet vents? They'll hold more heat, they're not as flexible, maybe heavier. Has this ever caused shell problems?

Shell stops. Mine are solid. Are the struts supposed to lift shell when I pop the release? It pops up but just enough to lift it and do the safety catches. Do the spring loaded stops help this?

My struts hold the shell up but I wouldn't trust it. Is there a prop-rod available?

Where can I get the lift "pucks"?

Is there anything special about aligning the car that a typical Big O(one I trust of course) couldn't do? My MB needed special loading? bars that Big O didn't have.

Is there a Ford site I can look parts up on? It'd be easier to give my dealer part numbers instead of them having to look things up. Plus, I want to window shop accessories and apparel.

Can somebody post side by side pics of both styles of control arms. The ones I have look machined, not just raw cast, but they look like the rears so I'm thinking they're nothing special.

Thanks,
Rob
Your cute....Its 1 oclock in the morning...…..
Ahh the excitement of just purchasing a GT.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
However 10:20 Pacific, and his local time.

Its 1 oclock in the morning...…..

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Just nice to see somethibg is getting him so excited!

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Consider using these if you have to keep the clam shell up for a while.

Reactions: steved57

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
However 10:20 Pacific, and his local time.
Believe me, I was still up at 1, the workshop manual is a big book.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Consider using these if you have to keep the clam shell up for a while.

Ha, that's funny. I know all about those, I work on cars for a living. I've never used them because the long wood dowels(coat hanger) I have do the job perfect. On a GT it would be pretty ghetto though so I'm using my boat's telescoping gaff hook. I'll get some of the OTC stoppers for the GT, they'll store in the vehicle better. I'll keep some pucks in the car too.

I'm continually reading the forum for tidbits of info.
Neg battery connections
I haven't pulled the frunk to see the battery yet, it's supposed to be new. I'll clean the connectors. Where is the neg cable frame end located? Will I see it with the liner out?
Factory GT power port tender vs 1.25A tender right to the battery. Are they both acceptable methods to protect the gauges?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, pull the liner and the ground strap is obvious.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
GT@50 I told Howie when he replaced the battery to sand down the ground wire bolt frame area and retighten the negative cable.
Didn't that car have a battery tender hooked up hardwire?
If not then do it, the plug in the dash is iffy at best with no light to see if its working. You have to cut the hardwire rings to loop over the nut , youll see...….
Don't take the parts book asgospel, most were changed over the 2 years and really not correct.
Enjoy that ride!
gtjoey1314

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
GT@50 I told Howie when he replaced the battery to sand down the ground wire bolt frame area and retighten the negative cable.
Didn't that car have a battery tender hooked up hardwire?
If not then do it, the plug in the dash is iffy at best with no light to see if its working. You have to cut the hardwire rings to loop over the nut , youll see...….
Don't take the parts book asgospel, most were changed over the 2 years and really not correct.
Enjoy that ride!
gtjoey1314
I haven't made it to the front of the car yet, still visually assaulting the engine/trans. I'll pull the liner and check for a pigtail. I have both styles of charger ready to go. I like the light option too. I'll keep the GT charger for when my wife sells the car after I'm dead.