IMSA PASSION GONE

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
We are here and attendance seems much lower from what we can tell so far. We were hoping there was going to be a privateer effort when we made plans last year, but that didn't happen. We still come because this is a fun spectacle being at a 24hour race. Longer races are one of the few things that help negate what B.O.P tries to control. Very strange walking through the pits and seeing all our guys names on other teams. Monica and I were at least happy most picked up rides. Very cool to see Ben's name on two different pit boxes. He did well so far.
We are lost on who to push for. We will be pulling for the Vettes since we know some of the people from Spring Mountain. It was cool watching them go down the straight at night with a blue flame about six inches long out of the two exhaust pipes. Turned glowing red after they got off throttle. The idiot announcers were saying it looked cool but was obviously an efficiency problem... until they saw it coming from the Porsche too. The new Vette sounds much like the GTs and I am surprised more people aren't making fart jokes about it. The Vettes use to thunder around. All of the GTLM cars are very quiet now with the exception of the Porsche.

Pics please 😊

Have a great time you two!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ill confess, Im still watching. Its such an amazing event.

Reactions: steved57

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Watching too but sure not the same. having GT withdrawal 😩

Reactions: roketman

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
At least, now we dont have to be annoyed that all the TV focus goes to DPi regardless of whats happening on track.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It’s a real loss to all us GT Loyal’s. That being said it really does change the excitement level of watching the race . Even as a Porsche cup car racer myself for more years than I care to admit. I’m still on not rooting for the Porsches! I guess I’m just a GT loyalist in mourning

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Pics please 😊

Have a great time you two!

Hi Stef,
We have been just walking around a bunch but realized we haven't been taking pictures. They showed a video of several of the last years racing action in hospitality and the field just doesn't look as cool as it did with GTs. I didn't realize how much they classed up the place. LOL

Reactions: Stef and Cobrar

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I’m at Daytona with the family. We miss the GTs and the thunder of the C7 Corvettes. Daytona is a great venue with access everywhere for spectators.

On a side note, I hope all the C8 Corvettes on display are pre-, pre-, pre-production units. The build quality is very poor. I’ll never understand why a manufacturer would bring cars in that condition to an event like this.

Reactions: Cobrar

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I’m at Daytona with the family. We miss the GTs and the thunder of the C7 Corvettes. Daytona is a great venue with access everywhere for spectators.

On a side note, I hope all the C8 Corvettes on display are pre-, pre-, pre-production units. The build quality is very poor. I’ll never understand why a manufacturer would bring cars in that condition to an event like this.

Agree, and it seems to be a recurring theme at auto shows and events in general. Too much outsourcing of the OE’s ‘marketing’ function with little corporate oversight. Read: not getting what you are paying for.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good race this year. Lots of familiar faces in action. GTLM definitely suffers without the GTs. There will likely never be a better looking race car out there.

Don't get me started on the dumb stuff certain manufacturers do at auto shows. Cough cough.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Forum member Ryan Hardwick’s team Porsche #16 leading GTD at moment

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Forum member Ryan Hardwick’s team Porsche #16 leading GTD at moment

Briscore in P1 with Bourdais in P3 in DPI SAD SEEING ALL THESE NAMES SPREAD OUT AND IN DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS

Reactions: Cobrar

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I’m rooting for Briscoe!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good race. The GTs were missed but the quality of racing was nice.

I do have beef that they give out two tone white-dial Daytonas now. It's like the market is so hot for stainless steel that they won't even give the winners of their namesake race the hot stuff. 😂

Reactions: Iconic GT and Stef

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Good race. The GTs were missed but the quality of racing was nice.

I do have beef that they give out two tone white-dial Daytonas now. It's like the market is so hot for stainless steel that they won't even give the winners of their namesake race the hot stuff. 😂

I heard a rumor (perhaps its truth)
If one really really wants to get a SS
Daytona and not have to wait, just fly over to UAE. The folks over there just ignore those and go for the fancy smancy ones.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That wound up being quite a race. Record distance + 25 laps, set in 2018. Also very low attrition ~5 (granted was the smallest field ever). A nod to an acquaintance (friend of a good friend) Brian Sellers, his 13th 24, and 1st WIN in GTD.

Dave agreed, NG on 2 tone, stainless should be mandatory.

Flounder

Nov 9, 2018
Definitely missed the GT's. Attendance appeared to be at least 25% greater than the last 5 years i've attended. Weather was great this year. Enjoyed watching the mustangs friday but it sucked Ford not represented in the show. Corvettes looked awesome and performed well for first race which is the toughest of the year. Hoping Ford is coming with something soon.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Great to see Briscoe win though!

Reactions: Special K

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
And the hits just keep on coming. What a shame and fall from the joy of LeMans a mere four years ago.

Reactions: Stef and Apollo

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
GTEpro is now down to I think 7 cars. Jalopnik even has speculated that the race will be flat out cancelled.

Road racing was making a nice comeback.

And the hits just keep on coming. What a shame and fall from the joy of LeMans a mere four years ago.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Didn’t Corvette just announce that they’re withdrawing from racing?