Need help disabling the "door ajar" alarm in '06 GT.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

One of the door ajar sensors is faulty in my 2006 GT and about every 15 seconds the door ajar red light flashes on the dash and a super annoying alarm sounds off for about 3 seconds. My car is going back to Rich in MI for some other work soon and he'll fix the problem but I'd like to drive it this weekend and I can't stand that alarm constantly going off. Does anybody know a quick easy way to disable it? The red light is fine it's just the alarm I need to shut off. Is there a separate fuse or is the alarm itself in a place I could unplug it? Thanks!

Chip

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Not sure on the chime location, but... Have you checked both clamshell latches? I find that to be a culprit on mine. Even though it is fully closed, the switch sometimes fails to close. I adjusted the bump stops slightly and it fixed the problem.

Reactions: jammer

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Chip, The chime is inside the SJB located on passenger side. Here is a description of the operation from the Ford repair manual. I am researching more to come.

The hood latch system contains a latch with a mechanical exterior release handle and cable and a release solenoid. The hood latch can be released using the remote transmitter or the exterior hood release handle.
The driver side and passenger side doors contain electrically actuated latches that are controlled by the smart junction box (SJB) and the exterior door latch switches. The interior door handles are connected to the door latches with cables and can be used to mechanically release the door latches. The door locks can be locked or unlocked with the remote transmitter, driver door lock cylinder or the interior door lock switches.
The keyless entry system has a remote transmitter which is used to communicate with the SJB. When either the door unlock or hood release buttons on the remote transmitter are pressed, the SJB activates the output functions of the door latches or hood latch. The SJB is mounted to a bracket, which is located on the passenger side of the dash panel.
The driver side lock cylinder can be repaired by discarding the inoperative cylinder and building a new lock cylinder using the appropriate lock repair package. The lock repair package includes a detailed instruction sheet to build the new lock cylinder to the current key code of the vehicle.
Principles of Operation

For an unlocked door, the SJB will open the latch when an open signal from the corresponding exterior door latch switch is received. When the door ajar signal is received from the door latch or a 3-second timeout occurs, the SJB will close the latch by activating the all door latch reset relay, which momentarily provides power to both door latches through circuit 117 (PK/BK). The all door latch reset relay is internal to the SJB. Because there is only one close door latch signal for both door latches, the SJB will not activate the all door latch reset relay unless both latches can be closed without mechanical interference, which could occur if a door is partially opened.

Looking up the circuit to disable door ajar toner if possible.
Door Ajar Warning Chime

The door ajar warning chime activates when the SJB detects the ignition switch circuits are in the RUN state and when the SJB detects the driver or passenger door, decklid or hood is ajar. Refer to the Chime Duration Table in this section for audible output, duration time and priority ratings.

The toner is located in the module and cannot be disarmed. The reset relay is also located internal of the SJB module. Best choice would be to install an IDS (Ford scan tool) and monitor latches to determine the switch that shows Ajar while all are closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Special K

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I went down a bumpy dirt road one time and my frunk loosened up. Open it up and drop the frunk/hood and see if that helps.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Chip,

I too think it is most likely your bonnet latch. Try opening it up and giving it a good slam. Hopefully that takes care of it.

stilllookin

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2007
Cornelius NC
2EBD59AF-96C6-4344-8B08-62C040CFB872.jpeg
I had the same issue years ago. I installed a couple small washers under the latch to raise it up. It has never given me a problem again.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Check both clamshell and front trunk. I originally was very gentle with mine - pushing it down until it latched. Then the light came on. It was the front. I "dropped" it enough to make sure gravity closed it "firmly" (how high depends on how good your struts are). After that I just let both front and rear a drop rather than the push and the light never came back on again.

Reactions: Special K

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I've never asked a question here and not received a solution. Problem solved. I was not closing the frunk with enough force. By dropping it closed with a bit more force the problem went away. Thank you for helping the old guy out!! All the best.

Chip

Reactions: 93extxdps

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I have the same problem. I have tried the above without success. Is there a way to check if the switch is faulty.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Great forum support! I recently had an intermittent beep on rougher roads that turned out to be the same culprit...more gravity on frunk closure.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I have the same problem. I have tried the above without success. Is there a way to check if the switch is faulty.
Try dropping the rear hatch in the same fashion.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
On the clamshell check both wires are CLICKED IN, Sometimes they losen.
Then you can adjust the bump stops if you have a 2005.
Also make sure your WINDSHIELD FLUID HOSE is in the right position or it will wedge between the trunk lip and the hood!
Say if you changed a battery or something. Make sure that hose is in the clear...….
Good luck
GTJOEY1314