New Owner 2006 GT

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Congratulations on your purchase Shawn and welcome to the best auto community around!

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
My 2006 Tungsten GT was delivered yesterday. Of course getting out the first time I hit my forehead on the door. I think this is the car’s way of saying “Why did you wait so long to buy a GT?” Having a few older Shelbys, Mustangs and a new Shelby I’m certainly a lifelong Ford fan. I recall following the GT Program from concept to the first cars hitting the showrooms. My first impression driving the car is it’s an amazing vehicle. My first drive was to go down the road for a few miles and return home. When I started driving I just kept going and returned with 50 added miles to my pristine 420 mile car. Within the first 10 miles of the drive I realized how comfortable, responsive, powerful and stylish the GT is.

I have to also publicly say “Thank You” to Shelby Smith at Elite Autos. Elite took delivery of the car performed maintenance, air bag recalls, half shafts bolt replacements, Mac relocation, tune/pulley and inspections. I received my car ready to drive with no safety or reliability concerns. Elite treated the car with the utmost care, they were precise and communications were outstanding. Eric at Elite kept me informed of progress along the way with updated pictures, texts and phone calls. Thanks Shelby and Eric! Getting this work done was a big concern of mine and I’m grateful you all were involved.

The GT Forum is great and very similar to the SAAC Forum of which I’ve been a member since inception. Becoming a member a few months back allowed me to educate myself on issues and find reliable sources. The information here is extremely useful and I look forward to years of involvement.

Regards

Shawn
Congrats and great choice of color! ;) Enjoy and put some miles on her

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If the tires are older than three years you need to change them ASAP and put on Bridgestone’s
Players and Junk after three years no matter what the mileage

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
You will definitely enjoy the new car and welcome to your new extended family!

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
new tires for sure ASAP agreed with rocketman, don't chance it... congrats...

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hi Shawn

Congratulations, I bought a 700 mile car, was so amazed at the low mileage took me a while to drive more than short stints, was trying to keep it low, could still smell paint fumes off motor when I parked it. I also have owned a high powered 600 HP 67 GT 500 for 31 years, the GT is just a way better driving car. I made the mistake of driving GT first then right after the 67 GT 500, I love the 67 so much I haven't done it since.

Please note and maybe you are aware, with mid engine, cold OLD tires and allot of power with pulley tune when turning or aggressively accelerating in a straight line with wheels even slightly turned, but again in the cold the car can spin around very easily, I've done it seemed like a razors edge. I use Celsius in Canada so maybe less than 50 F?, or another member can chime in at low temp tolerance.

Enjoy
Steve

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
Thanks all and certainly taking it easy. I appreciate the warnings and have looked at the tire thread here on the forum. I'd really like to find a tire that matches the sidewall and height of the OE Goodyear exactly. For me the look of the car with the OE tires is perfect and would like to duplicate if I switch to anything other than OE. I use TireSize.com which is awesome for comparisons and side by side measurements. I do not want to lower the car and have no real issues with a new set of Goodyears. I welcome any comment and suggestions.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Given your wants, I had no problem with the original Goodyear's. They are excellent road tires and even tracked well at VIR in the rain for 2 days at Rally V.
So just get a set of new Goodyears.
Andy (ajb)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The big difference is cold performance. The Goodyears are hockey pucks in the cold. The Bridgestones are a stickier tire even cold, but that doesn't mean they won't break grip, just later than the Goodyears.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
GY is your ONLY option, if you want 4 tires to match (front to back), and you want to stay with OEM wheels.

BStone, was the right direction for me, with out any doubt.