Standard Radio

johnk

Nov 11, 2007
What radio comes with a 05/06 if the optional McIntosh is not ordered? Appears the standard radio does not come with the large speaker between the seats, how does it compare? Obviously not buying for the radio, just curious. Thank you...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It was a Sanyo. No subwoofer. Not very loud.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you have the Mac with the big sub woofer do a search for Mac woofer relocate. Specracer moved mine to behind the passenger seat. Than we (he) put in the stock storable center piece where the big ugly sub woofer was
Excellent up grade
Thanks again specracer! Even if it was 13 years ago!

Reactions: Special K

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
I have stock radio it is OK, at first loved sound Super charger and the stock exhaust then put in X pipe, now that I think about it, never listen to radio that much anyway

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Our cars have radios?
:)

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Don't know if mine works.......................10 years later!!!!!!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I turned on once years ago to see if it worked.
Andy (ajb)

Reactions: roketman and RPM217

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I love my McIntosh! Car and house! It would be cool to move that sub behind the seat and put the storage area between the seats, is there a kit? I am not really interested to get rid of the McIntosh sub, just relocate it.

Attachments

• P1030551.JPG
    P1030551.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Woof that its been that long....

Thanks again specracer! Even if it was 13 years ago!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What radio comes with a 05/06 if the optional McIntosh is not ordered? Appears the standard radio does not come with the large speaker between the seats, how does it compare? Obviously not buying for the radio, just curious. Thank you...

Think $5 Wal-Mart earbuds and you’ll have an idea.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Because everyone else is chiming in... I can say with BOTH cars, I can still count on one hand the number of times the radio has been on in either car. As I type this, I realized, I never even checked to see if the door speakers still worked after I took them out for mirror removal for PPF (NGT).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Because everyone else is chiming in... I can say with BOTH cars, I can still count on one hand the number of times the radio has been on in either car. As I type this, I realized, I never even checked to see if the door speakers still worked after I took them out for mirror removal for PPF (NGT).

Wow, you removed your mirrors for the PPF? You are committed my man.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sure did, did a thread on it too. Really not that bad, especially as there is not a vapor barrier set with butyl

Wow, you removed your mirrors for the PPF? You are committed my man.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
As I recall the standard audio was sold as a Rockford Fosgate unit in the early days - later they dropped this branding and it went without any brand on the unit. As Dr Frank says it was a Sanyo unit anyway. We managed to get Sanyo to supply a unit for later European cars with a European tuner in (so it stops on the even numbers as well as the odd). Clarion, who built the Macintosh, apparently weren't able to do that so all 101 European cars were built without a head unit and retrofitted over here.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
As I recall the standard audio was sold as a Rockford Fosgate unit in the early days - later they dropped this branding and it went without any brand on the unit. As Dr Frank says it was a Sanyo unit anyway. We managed to get Sanyo to supply a unit for later European cars with a European tuner in (so it stops on the even numbers as well as the odd). Clarion, who built the Macintosh, apparently weren't able to do that so all 101 European cars were built without a head unit and retrofitted over here.

Can you get any of the U.S. spec Sanyo head units?

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Can you get any of the U.S. spec Sanyo head units?

I've never tried - I have a used Euro spec one on the shelf. The part number shows as 4G7Z 18806 AA - but that doesn't seem to show much. The Sanyo part number is FXD-885GD

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I'm still looking for a base radio. been running the McInt radio without the sub-woofer and upper door tweeters which kinda defeats the purpose. will trade straight up. radio only. not all the ancillary McInt stuff

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Clarion, did not build the McIntosh units, at that time they Owned McIntosh, Clarion was considered a fantastic car audio company and almost put them under. McIntosh was and is a high end audiophile company, Clarion came in and bought them cheap and tried to make McIntosh a "sell out" company by producing many products and sell mass quantities not quality. Thank God, they are now owned by a company that sells high end stereo equipment again.

The car audio days at McIntosh were very neat days as you can see the following on line here and there. I personally would not have a 05 06 GT without that for personal reasons, as I grew up in the Binghamton area and McIntosh stereo equipment is very cool stuff. It was the stuff that as a kid I dreamed about owning some day, to which I do.

I drive my 06 GT, I drive it with and without the music, I love it and enjoy BOTH sounds, the music is as powerful as the car!

BTY, Clarion wanted to move McIntosh to California, thank God there were a few who fought that! Today, I look at McIntosh as, "How do they compete and stay in business?" As not many understand quality. If McIntosh had moved to California, they would have been out of business today!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was going to get a different unit until one day right after I got the car in the spring I was on a drive and on the radio they started playing Comfortably Numb. I cranked the volume up to max and the subwoofer vibrated the seat on Gilmour's guitar solo, but the speaker never fluttered or went into overdrive. I think the people who were around me as I drove through the little Colorado village with the windows open were also impressed :)

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
When I had my non-Mac GT 13 years ago, I tracked down a manual for the radio- pdf attached.

Attachments

• sanyoradio2.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 40