06 Ford Gt adventure home

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Crack of dawn again in beautiful Butte, Montana. The wife and I are pretty tired this morning cause those Air BnB beds are just not as comfy as some other higher end accommodations. That's OK, there's a higher purpose at hand and on the horizon. We're ready to roll!!

US/Canada border, here we come. There's no stopping us now....... unless of course something jumps out at us........

Attachments

• 20190916_083729.jpg
    20190916_083729.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
  • 20190916_083636.jpg
    20190916_083636.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 46
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
From Butte, Montana to the US/Canada border is only a 4 hour drive and this morning, it was a beautiful drive. Blue sky's, very little traffic and twisty Montana roads. I really wanted to wind out the my new FGT but my wife reigned me in so I kept it pretty tame. That and the fact that my car wasn't registered and the plate on the back of the car was from a 2007 Shelby GT-H that was in my garage at home.

I didn't want to explain that to a state trooper if I was nailed for speeding

QSS

Reactions: Ed Sims
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Around 1:00 pm we made it to the US/Canada border where we walked into the US customs department to have our 06 GT exported which took a whooping 9 minutes (mental note....always export a car out of the US on a Monday afternoon). We then drove our car over to the Canadian side and had the car imported into Canada which took a while longer but went smooth as silk. I would have taken a few more pictures at the border for ya all but the last time I exported a car out of the US and into Canada I was taking a bunch of pictures at the border crossing for documentation sake. While taking those pictures I was approached by US officials who informed me that "taking pictures at a US border crossing of US buildings is not cool". I totally get that so I only have one picture for you all.

Attachments

• 20190916_130933.jpg
    20190916_130933.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Now things get a little "exciting".

After leaving the US/ Canada border crossing, I am very excited that the wife and I are on home turf and heading home with our newly acquired 06 FGT.

This is when fate declares "you are just a passenger on the road of life and along for the ride". What the hell does that mean???

After clearing the border crossing and with a great deal of excitement, I get onto the throttle in celebration and begin to race away onto our final journey home. I'm up to 75 MPH at this point.

Literally... only a half mile after leaving the crossing I see something a couple hundred feet up to my right, in the ditch. It's a deer running from the adjacent field onto the highway right in front of me.

Shit!!!!!!....... it's not one deer...... there's 5 of them running in a line, out of the ditch onto the road right in front of me. Damn!!!.... this is not good.

The 5 deer are all lined up and only 250 feet in front of me. They are running right across the highway and I don't have many options (I'm now having visions of wrecking my FGT on a bunch of stupid deer).

As I close the distance rapidly I quickly decide my only choice is to hammer down both pedals (the clutch and brake pedal) and hope for the best. As I bury my clutch and brake, the first two "smart" deer in the chain of 5 continue to run across the road. The second two "dumb" deer" at the trailing end of the chain reverse course and run back into the ditch in whence they came. Deer number #5, who was in the middle of the chain, and I refer to as "Idiot Mikey deer", decides to pull his deer in the headlights act (even though it was daytime and there were no headlights involved) and stops dead in the middle of the road. This is the reason I call him Idiot Mikey deer.

As I nearly lock up my brakes and come to a dead stop on a two lane highway I'm thinking "I wish I was in my F150, I would have clobbered "Idiot Mikey deer" in order to advance their species". I also note that I sure can smell my brakes after such an aggressive stop.

Now I'm at a dead stop and two deer are running to my left, two dear running to my right and "idiot Mikey deer" finally realizing that he's in jeopardy, subsequently departs to the ditch as well. I've come to a stop 30 feet short of hitting idiot Mikey deer so all is good.

My wife then turns to me and says "I'm awake now", to which I respond, "I am too". A near wreck on day two of traveling home....... good times.

I have to admit, the brakes on this car are fantastic.

QSS

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Finally, after two long days of travel and 1,426 miles, we've made it home. The car is tucked away in the garage and I am tired as can be.

It was a great trip and I am pretty happy to be home. Back to the grind tomorrow.

QSS

Attachments

• 20190916_193506.jpg
    20190916_193506.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190916_193331.jpg
    20190916_193331.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 32

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Glad you enjoyed your trip!
It is a great car to travel in!

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Drove my 05 GT 300 miles over weekend. Purchased it new in August 2005. Just as impressive and exciting to drive after 14 + years as it was on the day i took delivery. Have to wait another 1.5 years + for the first drive in my 2022 NFGT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Driving your new GT will make you love your 05,06 GT even more!
They are both epic in there own unique way

Reactions: Magic

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Great times with the wife & GT! Doesn't get better!

Ed

Reactions: QuickSilverShelby

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Awesome trip!!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
your adventures have just begun!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
"Back to the grind tomorrow"

But with a big smile, great story and a Ford GT at home!

Believe it when it is said the experience gets even better! When you meet other owners, go to GT events, drive it more, share it with others, sit in the garage and stare at your GT, get pulled over because the cop just wants to look, those loooong gas station fill ups😄etc, etc, etc!!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I am surprised that no official "inspected" your car at either border and delayed you. But then you would have missed Mikey and friends.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
"Back to the grind tomorrow"

But with a big smile, great story and a Ford GT at home!

Believe it when it is said the experience gets even better! When you meet other owners, go to GT events, drive it more, share it with others, sit in the garage and stare at your GT, get pulled over because the cop just wants to look, those loooong gas station fill ups😄etc, etc, etc!!
Me and the wife really noticed the attention the car was getting on the drive home. At one gas station in Utah, while we were filling up, a mom came over and asked if her son could have a look inside. "You bet, check it out" was my reply to her son. I was somewhat taken aback by her son and the wonder in his eye as he approached the car. I saw myself in him when I was younger. I remember how I felt about seeing an amazing car when I was just a kid. I felt very humbled at that moment.

That was just one of the incredible encounters on the two day drive home.

QSS

Last edited:
Reactions: BtwoG
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Another encounter, that I know you all have had happen to you, was when drivers and passengers of other vehicles were taking pictures of our car during our voyage home.

The best one was when I was approaching a semi truck driver. He must have been watching his mirrors and heard me coming up on him from a long way back. As I approached his rig and passed him, his drivers side window was open and the driver had his phone camera in hand, snapping photos as I passed.

I got on the throttle to get past him quickly cause I figured "distracted driver.....bad". As I check my rear view mirror I could see he kinda lost track of where he was and floated over the right lane rumble strips and was drifting towards the ditch while he fumbled with his phone.

As I watch this unfold I am thinking to myself "if he hits the ditch and wrecks, do I stop and go back or do I continue on"? :ROFLMAO: Of course I would have stopped but fortunately I didn't have to make that choice as he pulled it back from the edge and all was good.

That made me laugh.

QSS

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I am surprised that no official "inspected" your car at either border and delayed you. But then you would have missed Mikey and friends.
You know, this is the 4th car in 12 years I have brought across the border and not once has anyone from the US side or Canadian side come out to inspect the car I was bringing across. It's kinda strange but perhaps it's my honest face or my rapist's wit.

Attachments

• dumb and dumber #2.jpg
    dumb and dumber #2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 3
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I took the car today to get the daytime running lights turned on at my local Ford dealership. Daytime running lights are one of the criteria in order to pass the Out of Country Inspection so that I can have the car registered here in Canada. Hope to get that inspection done on Friday or Monday then onto the Out of Province Inspection. Ahhhhhh......government hoops. Gotta love em.

QSS

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Had a peak in the garage just to make sure my mistress was still there.

Have you put a folding chair somewhere near your GT yet?

We all have at one time or another. ;-)

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Folding chair???? Why not the lounger and TV?

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
From Butte, Montana to the US/Canada border is only a 4 hour drive and this morning, it was a beautiful drive. Blue sky's, very little traffic and twisty Montana roads. I really wanted to wind out the my new FGT but my wife reigned me in so I kept it pretty tame. That and the fact that my car wasn't registered and the plate on the back of the car was from a 2007 Shelby GT-H that was in my garage at home.

I didn't want to explain that to a state trooper if I was nailed for speeding

QSS
State Troopers don't think that's very funny using a plate from another car......ask me how I know....lol. Congrats on your purchase! You will never regret buying a Ford GT. Enjoy