Source for Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The manual states 13.7 quarts (13L) is the regular oil/filter change refill capacity. The manual states to put 13L in after an oil/filter change, check the level and then top off as needed.

13L is overfilling the tank. What are you guys finding?

So, after I fully drained the oil from both the tank and dry sump pursuant to the service manual, I put in the 13L of fresh oil as stated in the manual. I checked the level exactly as the manual requires: start the engine and bring up to operating temperature of 190 degrees. Turn off the engine and wait 2-3 minutes. Result: the oil tank is clearly overfilled.

I take out a liter of oil from the tank and check the level again using the exact same procedure above. Result: with the dip stick fully screwed in, the oil tank is still clearly overfilled.

So now I’m wondering how much oil came out of the car. I measure the used oil. Result: exactly 12L.

So now I’m wondering why I’m still getting an overfilled indication on the dipstick if I put in the same amount of oil that came out (12L).

Thinking of the oil check procedure on my Harley, I insert the dipstick without screwing it in and check the level. It’s exactly at the full mark.

The manual doesn’t indicate that the dipstick needs to be screwed in or not to check the level, so I’m not sure which way is correct. I’m also unclear why the manual states to add 13L when 13L overfills the tank.

Those of you with contacts at Ford please ask about this, get clarification and post it.

P.S. I’m going to give the middle finger to anyone who suggests I should have the dealer change the oil.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Are you sure of your units? Is it really units and not quarts? I am not doubting, just want it clear for the record.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Are you sure of your units? Is it really units and not quarts? I am not doubting, just want it clear for the record.

Yes. Absolutely sure. The Castrol 5w-50 Supercar oil comes in 4L jugs.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sinovac -

Super curious situation. As you seem to be following the Service Manual, there's no chance you removed the third "no-no" drain plug? (I assume not.) Also, you likely pre-filled the oil filter itself as described in the manual so in total you have added ~13.5L? I would *think* (but the manual doesn't state either way) that the correct process for the dipstick is to thread it all the way in, then un-do it to get the correct reading. Of course the best thing is that we get a definitive answer. Short of that, I would remove 1/2L at a time, run the car, check the dipstick (fully threaded in) and repeat until I had it at the highest level. Of course the chart on Post 28 in this thread shows the re-fill to be 11L (11.6 quarts). You'd expect the Service Manual to be a more reliable reference but it's possible the Service Manual section was written before finalization of the complete oil cooling system? In summary, I guess above all I would trust the in-car dip stick method to be the correct indication.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sinovac -

Super curious situation. As you seem to be following the Service Manual, there's no chance you removed the third "no-no" drain plug? (I assume not.) Also, you likely pre-filled the oil filter itself as described in the manual so in total you have added ~13.5L? I would *think* (but the manual doesn't state either way) that the correct process for the dipstick is to thread it all the way in, then un-do it to get the correct reading. Of course the best thing is that we get a definitive answer. Short of that, I would remove 1/2L at a time, run the car, check the dipstick (fully threaded in) and repeat until I had it at the highest level. Of course the chart on Post 28 in this thread shows the re-fill to be 11L (11.6 quarts). You'd expect the Service Manual to be a more reliable reference but it's possible the Service Manual section was written before finalization of the complete oil cooling system? In summary, I guess above all I would trust the in-car dip stick method to be the correct indication.

I didn’t remove the third plug. I was very careful about that. Thank you for mentioning the chart in post 28 again. I didn’t realize it had a recommended refill capacity. That chart states 11.6 quarts, which is roughly 11 liters. That capacity is 2L less than what the service and owner’s manual say for the refill capacity (13L).* The discrepancy between the chart and manuals is huge.

I’m sure if I removed another liter (leaving 11L of the 13L I put in), The oil level would be at the full mark with the dipstick screwed fully in as you suggested. But the question still remains as to why 12L came out if only 11L is needed for an oil change fill. Overfilled from the factory? Perhaps. As you stated, a definitive answer from Ford is needed. Check the oil with the dipstick screwed in or not? Is it just a coincidence that putting in 12L, the exact amount that came out, shows full on the dipstick when it isn’t screwed in?

What is clear is that despite what the service manual says, 13L should not be added when the oil change is done. Start at 11L and wait for clarification from Ford on the “screw or not” question.

*Corrected from the original post. 13L is the stated oil refill capacity in the owner’s and service manual, not 13.7L. The manuals state 13L or 13.7 quarts.

Last edited:

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I didn’t remove the third plug. I was very careful about that.

What is the third plug?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What is the third plug?

The Plug of Death. This plug drains the oil lines. It is only to be removed if there is serious debris in the oil. Removal triggers a laborious process to purge air from the system. That plug would never require removal in normal circumstances.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Good job to be the Pioneer in this!!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
At Milliken, Joe Sicoli GT Tech. PAINTS the 3rd plug yellow (if I recall) and tells all of us NEVER to remove it....if we ever elect to change our own oil.
andy(ajb)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
At Milliken, Joe Sicoli GT Tech. PAINTS the 3rd plug yellow (if I recall) and tells all of us NEVER to remove it....if we ever elect to change our own oil.
andy(ajb)

Yeah, the Service Manual is actually pretty good about calling this out.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Kendal... glad to hear it is called out.
Although I will most likely never change my own oil, I know many of our members do....
andy(ajb)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Andy, yes... they got that right. Now if we can just get the correct fill capacity and correct method to use the dipstick (threaded in or not).

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Do you all doubt that the cars are filled correctly at Multimatic? Doesn't everyone check the oil when they take delivery, just because? Seems like most would (or should) know the answer already. The oil is on the full line either when the dipstick is screwed or unscrewed. It's binary.

If you can make the leap of faith that they know what they are doing at Multimatic, check the oil when you get the car and that is the answer.

I vote for not screwing it in, because it's a dipstick, not a dip-screw-unscrew-stick. But I'd go with whatever method showed full when the car was new.

Time for a poll of owners! Show us your dipsticks!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Good job to be the Pioneer in this!!

Haha. The good news is that it appears no matter what the correct answer is, only three 4L jugs of the expensive oil is needed. No need to get that 4th jug just for the extra liter.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Do you all doubt that the cars are filled correctly at Multimatic? Doesn't everyone check the oil when they take delivery, just because? Seems like most would (or should) know the answer already. The oil is on the full line either when the dipstick is screwed or unscrewed. It's binary.

If you can make the leap of faith that they know what they are doing at Multimatic, check the oil when you get the car and that is the answer.

I vote for not screwing it in, because it's a dipstick, not a dip-screw-unscrew-stick. But I'd go with whatever method showed full when the car was new.

Time for a poll of owners! Show us your dipsticks!

On my car, from the factory it would be at the full mark with the dipstick not screwed in (12L oil refill). I’m going to split the baby and go with 11.5L oil change refill until we get an answer, since .5L over/under won’t hurt anything. It does make sense not to require the dipstick to be screwed in just to check the level, but who knows.

Where is Indy GT when you need him???? Bum.

Reactions: Ed Sims

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
IndyGT is in a secret location getting his flip phone debugged 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
IndyGT is in a secret location getting his flip phone debugged 😀

Please let me know if he activates his "I've fallen and I can't get up" necklace.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And you guys say I am cruel.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Just to clarify this, for record the only correct filter number is HG7Z-6731-A.

Let me reiterate: the only correct filter number is HG7Z-6731-A.

The Motorcraft online reference chart is incorrect and being updated. The FL500S is not the correct filter. Believe it, do not believe it; I do not care. Use it and you will save a lot of money on filters, which is convenient for when you'll need replacement engines.

As always DBKs recommendation to use ONLY the FGT part specific filter on our V6 engine is absolutely correct. The earlier posting (believe it was Gary's) of possible use of the FL500S is in ERROR and is being corrected.

Kendall lays sound foundation as to the difference between the two filters and although he is somewhat correct in that the HG7Z-6731-A filter DOES in fact have a more robust anti-drainback valve there are other features in the GT filter which are specifically tailored to the GT application. The dry sump oil delivery system on our V6 can deliver very high cold engine oil pressures, and the GT filter has been designed to safely accommodate these unique requirements.

Again I recommend, as does DBK, use only the HG7Z-6731-A oil filter for the NFGT oil changes.

Bill - Are u certain on your answers?? 🤓😎😂

YEP! Take it to the bank!;)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Where is Indy GT when you need him???? Bum.

IndyGT is in a secret location getting his flip phone debugged

And you guys say I am cruel.

Frank, you are absolutely correct! These guys are really beating me upppp…:)

So Paul, I believe MM most probably has the engine oil fill procedure down pretty well now that we are in the 3rd year of production.

My car has approx 290 miles on it so I would say it is pretty much as delivered from MM. The oil tank screw in dip stick has a milled portion on the lower portion of the stick indicating min/max oil level. Here is the data:

Cold engine-

Screwed into tank- No oil present on dip stick

Not screwed into tank – No oil present on dip stick

Normal engine operating temperature-

Screwed into tank- 7/8 way toward full mark

Not screwed into tank- ½ way toward full mark

Enjoy!