2020 Corvette thoughts?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Being a die hard Blue Oval guy, I’ve been discounting rumors and spy photos of the new C8, but even still being the Ford guy that I am, I can’t help feel the nostalgia tied with the Corvette and Americana. I think they did a great job tying the car into the Apollo space program, as that is something every red blooded American can get behind. As far as the car goes, I think it’s what we all expected it to be. While not the Ford GT, it appears to offer a good bang for the buck. Only time will tell of its reliability and durability, but I am keeping an open mind and welcome the competition. After all, it’s the American competitive spirit that has made us into the great nation we are.
Your thoughts?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Will it have have a high h.p. engine option right out of the chute...or will it be the usual "down-the-road-a-year-or-two" story in that department.
'Looks good in photos at first glance ('rear is a bit 'iffy'). 'Still want/need to see the car 'in person' before I go off the deep end.

Reactions: Special K

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I watched the streaming video reveal from Chevy with my car nut son. Nice intro/tie into the space program. After all these years the dream comes true and with a starting price point under $60K and the claimed 0-60 time in under 3 seconds, a naturally aspirated 495bHP 6.2L V8, a GPS enabled front lift system which remembers up to a 1000 different lift locations, how can you not give the GM team a 2 thumbs up.

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Agreed, I think the important thing to keep in mind is the price point and what the car offers for that.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I'm not a GM guy AT ALL, but I have to say- I like the style of the car more than I expected to, and it should be a tremendous value for performance and style. I was shocked to read the MSRP!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
One new GT or ten C8s for the same money................

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Love them or hate then continued outstanding bang for the buck.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As with C7 and C6, Ugly, but Im sure an AMAZING car to drive. The switch blocker / fin / blade thingy down the center console is nuts. The C8 style is for sure in keeping with vehicles like the escalade, and camaro (and thats not a good thing).

Doesnt matter to me, I will never own one.

EDIT, just read this "An eight-speed dual-clutch Tremec transmission will be swapping the cogs, and there is no manual option. " That is terrible news

Last edited:

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I tend to start liking a car design after a few years - I guess I´m really not a "first mover" ;) - so I´m still trying to like the C7 model :D My first thought for the C8 was that it was the perfect evolution of the Toyota MR2

My next Corvette will be a 2009-2010 ZR1 instead.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
All a matter of taste, and I like lots of diff manufacturers. Outside to me is Little dull. Rear is much worse than side view. Interior to me is just plain awful. Especially the huge row of buttons. Engine surprisingly underpowered for class

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Some specs for the new Corvette:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I commend GM for putting out a high performance, mid engine car for that price. I'm sure it will be a great performing car.

I like the interior (sans Apollo 11 switch assembly). Exterior I'm not in love with. Too many words. I do like what appears to be a throw back to mid-year Corvette rear window design.

2020-corvette-reveal-design-01.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Interior ok.
Performance good.
Price great.

Exterior is not good. It's definitely an example of design by committee. Alternates between generic and bad, which is probably not a shock when you've worked on a car for a solid decade+. That rear is super nasty. Oof.

2020-corvette-back.jpg

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Interior ok.
Performance good.
Price great.

Exterior is not good. It's definitely an example of design by committee. Alternates between generic and bad, which is probably not a shock when you've worked on a car for a solid decade+. That rear is super nasty. Oof.

2020-corvette-back.jpg

I agree on all points. I was more interested to see if the latest “spy” photo was correct, and it was. I definitely think the Silverado’s styling is gaudy (especially the rear) and this car follows suit. It appears their marketing approach is to consumers with “popcorn brain,” flashy, busy, no rhyme or reason. Again for the price point, that can be overlooked, and if the car delivers in performance and reliability, it’s a much needed win for GM.

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Interior ok.
Performance good.
Price great.

2020-corvette-back.jpg

The rear is way to close to a Camaro! Horrible. Performance and value though you cant deny.

Reactions: Joehand1 and Apollo

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
this is a win for everybody!

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Just because you move the engine mid ships dosen't make it a supercar.

I'm not going to criticize this thing to much because someone really worked hard to bring it forth and it represents perhaps thousands of jobs.
At the stated price point, not sure how they are going to make money, unless you stamp em out like Volkswagen's.
I see it as a huge gamble and wish them lots of luck.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I loved the C7.

C8? Not at all. I would not care how well it performs, I don't like ugly cars.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I echo what Stef said. $60k for the base model, and their benchmark was supposedly the 458? Either they cut a LOT of corners or they will be losing money.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was shocked to read the MSRP!

Ditto. Pleasantly so.
But, as I had figured, the base engine appears to be 'it' power-wise for now.
'Hope I'm still able to drive when the T.T. is finally made available. Shoot! I hope I'm still alive!

Reactions: DakotaGT