The 2005/2006 Ford GT Takata Airbag Recall Program

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Everyone here is well aware of the ongoing Takata Airbag Recall. By now, chances are you have received many, many colorful communications on the topic. In an effort to help put this recall program into history, I am going to share some details with you on a program that is unique to Ford GT. The program has been created to ensure GT owners have the maximum confidence the repair can be handled with the care and consideration required by the owners of a significant historical vehicle.

An introductory and critical note:

• The recall is a serious issue. 24 people have been killed and 300+ injured as a result of defective Takata airbag inflators. We've all probably tossed the recall communications at one time or another, but it's a matter of life and death - literally. Please don't put it off. Close to half the Ford GT fleet needs this work done.
Key information about the Ford GT Takata Airbag Recall Program:
  • For your convenience, Ford is providing dealers funding to send their qualified technician to the location of your car to perform a mobile vehicle repair. This can be your home, a storage facility or otherwise. Additionally, the dealer can arrange transportation of your vehicle to their facility to have the work done.

• Ford has created a specialized Ford Performance Recall Team to assist GT owners getting the recall done. Each of the team members at the call center will be very familiar with the 2005/2006 GT specifically, and all of the relevant details around the recall. If you have not had the recall work completed on your GT, you can reach the Recall Team two ways:

• Knowing that many owners are hesitant to get the repair completed due to the value and originality of their GT, Ford would like you to see the simple and quick nature of the airbag replacement. All replacement parts in the recall are located behind the airbags and will not in any way alter the appearance of your vehicle. You can watch how the repair is done at the video below.

• Parts availability has also been a challenge to getting the recall completed. Ford had to redesign and test the new airbag inflators prior to building the new parts. If your dealer tells you they do not have the recall parts, they can order them for you now. Ford has thousands of these parts in their warehouses, ready for use.

• If you think you have already had the airbag recall completed on your car, yet continue to receive recall notices from Ford, chances are you still need to have an airbag recall completed. Based on how these recalls were rolled out, the driver and passenger airbag recalls launched at different times so you may have had the airbag repaired on one side but still need to get the other side fixed. There were also some vehicles that got a temporary fix early on before a permanent fix was available. These vehicles still need to get the permanent airbag inflators installed. If this is the case, you will have an open recall on your vehicle. You can check if your Ford GT has any open recalls by going to www.fordairbaginfo.com.

• Most of us know many other Ford GT owners in our local area. One possibility to really get this work completed quickly is a localized Ford GT Cars and Coffee Airbag Recall repair day. I will be hosting one here. The Ford Performance Recall Team would be happy to work with you and a local dealer to set up onsite repairs for such an event. I also encourage you to comment on this thread if you have owners in your area and a dealer you are comfortable working with. If you do not have a dealer you are comfortable with, there is the possibility that with enough cars lined up we can get a traveling technician with expert knowledge to come to you as a special event. Call or e-mail a friend and give yourselves and excuse to get the cars out and get together.
That's the information I have for you today. If you have questions or concerns, please post them here and I will address them directly. I am happy to help facilitate local get togethers or if you run into a situation that is any cause for concern, relay it to the appropriate parties.

I know there are many forum owners that haven't had this done. You need to get it done. I've seen graphic documentation of people killed by shrapnel from the defective Takata inflators and we don't need this hanging out there. Now that there is a specialized program just for GT, let's get it taken care of for good.

Ford Performance Recall Team Contact

Phone: 855-225-6341
Email: service@fordperformancerecall.com
Web: www.fordairbaginfo.com

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
... Additionally, the dealer can arrange transportation of your vehicle to their facility to have the work done.

I have since seen (but cannot find right now) the Ford communication that clarifies the transportation allowance with a statement that if both recalls are done then the allowance is for each recall, effectively doubling the allowance.

Dave, can you clarify?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My 06 was just done last week due to the fact the guy I sold it to has a dealer license and Imhave received a notice every week for 15 months. Last week I threatened to sue him if he didn’t get them changed as my name is still on the title! A friend just purchased a 06 GT in Canada 🇨🇦 with 6 Km on it from a museum and they had to get the recall done before it could come into the USA this week but is in quarantine for 30 days. Car still has original wrapping on it. Sold new in Daphin, Canada from Forman Ford Sales. Everything is original!

Attachments

• E8F32BD0-4E76-466F-8E22-E58700D3F10F.jpeg
    E8F32BD0-4E76-466F-8E22-E58700D3F10F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 45DF6555-24B6-4AD9-ACA3-4CBA02A320C4.jpeg
    45DF6555-24B6-4AD9-ACA3-4CBA02A320C4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 089CC8B3-28CE-4F7C-B1B1-B3D61325EAB0.jpeg
    089CC8B3-28CE-4F7C-B1B1-B3D61325EAB0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Dave is spot on. My dealer came to my house and changed both driers side airbags along with 2 Mustang airbags. I later got notice on the passenger side, dealer made second trip to my house to replace it on both cars. I suggest you contact your dealer of choice and allow them time to get the replacement in hand then schedule the work. It is critical that these replacements get completed.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Mine were done a while back and I continued getting notices. I called the number several weeks ago and told them the bags were replaced. Was put on hold and then they confirmed the fix. I still get notices —as late as yesterday. A minor annoyance.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Mine were done a while back and I continued getting notices. I called the number several weeks ago and told them the bags were replaced. Was put on hold and then they confirmed the fix. I still get notices —as late as yesterday. A minor annoyance.

I will check why this is happening today.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have since seen (but cannot find right now) the Ford communication that clarifies the transportation allowance with a statement that if both recalls are done then the allowance is for each recall, effectively doubling the allowance.

Dave, can you clarify?

There is an allowance for each side. Regardless of prior allowances made on this service action repair, they will work with the dealership to get remaining necessary work done.

Reactions: Ed Sims

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I'm as fussy as anyone here about the condition of my car, originality, blah blah blah.

Both airbags were replaced perfectly at the house, no muss no fuss.

Ford could not have done any better, perfect service, no reason to not get this done.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks DBK!

Ed

Reactions: PILOTJPW1

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Thanks DBK. Just to confirm, can Canadian owners get the same service?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Yes, Canadian dealers have the same incentive program. The only difference that dealers are not pre-loaded in the database. FP is happy to work with owners and manually get them scheduled, so in short, yes, give the Ford Performance Recall Team a call and they will assist you.

Last edited:

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Yes, Canadian dealers have the same incentive program. The only difference that dealers are not pre-loaded in the database. FP is happy to work with owners and manually get them scheduled, so in short, yes, give the Ford Performance Recall Team a call and they will assist you.

Thanks Dave.

Reactions: dbk

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I had both of mine replaced last week. I spoke with Isaac at Ford and he did an excellent job coordinating this task with my local dealer so they could do this at my house. The technician easily completed the task in less than an hour. Glad that it's all done!

Reactions: nthfinity and dbk

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
This is awesome!

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta

Advance Ford in Calgary is coming to my home to replace the Inflators. No issues whatsoever.

Contact
Justin Swinton
Service Manager
Advantage Ford

403-225-3608 | 403-389-6727 | fax: 403-225-3630
jswinton@advantageford.ca
12800 Macleod Trail SE T2J 7E5

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I meant say thanks DBK over in Lemans. So thank you so much.
I have been concerned about this and what dealer etc.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Drove mine to the dealer once each time to get each airbag replaced. I helped remove the long dash piece (2 person job makes it easier, at least emotionally for me) for the passenger side to ensure it was all done smoothly.

Fairly easy. Driver side easier than passenger side, but neither should give cause for concern.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

In a lot of areas you can't buy or sell your '05-'06 GT if this recall is not completed. Mine were changed out at my local Ford dealership while I watched in about 15 minutes. Get it done!

Chip

Reactions: analogdesigner

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Anyone from Austin get this done?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
My Ford dealer refused to come to my home to do the recall and either of my FGT's. I'm calling Ford now to find out why, and if they won't come, why are they not paying the transport to and from the dealer? I'm in Canada. Bad enough they refused to sell me a 2017-2019, at least make good on the allowance and zend someone to fix my deadly FGT...;)

Edit: Ford tried to reach the dealer who had refused me, but got shifted from voicemail to voicemail. The was West Island Ford in Dollard Des Ormeaux Quebec. I would not go back there. They told a buddy of mine 3 weeks ago, who has a Ford GT, the same thing - he had to bring it to them.

Ford did however reach another dealer closer to me and they had no problem coming to change it at my home on both cars. Ford has a 250$ CAD transportation allowance that covers dealer travel, or towing to the dealer. This is what they told me today. I'm very happy with the outcome now. Ford recall service was excellent today!

Last edited: