Selling 1958 Maserati 450s recreation

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Hi folks, Looking for some advice on selling my Maserati 450s recreation. It took over 5 years to complete the all aluminum body and components. As we all know, life changes and I’m in need of selling this recently completed car. It’s titled in CA as a 1967 Maserati. Looking for some recommendations on how to best market and sell? eBay? Bring a trailer? I’ve also considered consignment with a good company who has experience with recreations. Im hoping for a relatively quick and hassle free sell, if that’s even possible. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 5159DA14-8C7E-410C-B724-40FC2FBFDE0F.jpeg
    5159DA14-8C7E-410C-B724-40FC2FBFDE0F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 9B399FA6-9E43-49E3-9FB3-82DAD4180CE2.jpeg
    9B399FA6-9E43-49E3-9FB3-82DAD4180CE2.jpeg
    920.6 KB · Views: 57

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Nice car....it might be useful to place your asking price.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I suggest you post it on a classic Maserati forum first. Include as many pictures possible of the build process and current condition. Include chassis, engine and interior pictures. If well respected vendors were used (e.g. engine build, body work, etc.), identify them and include receipts. Include a short video starting, driving and stopping the car. If there are known problems with this type of car, be proactive and state they’ve been resolved or need to be addressed. Put more extensive photos, videos and documentation on a flash drive and offer to send it to potential buyers. Think about the questions you would have if you were interested in buying the car and answer them in your for sale ad without anyone having to ask.

Or go through a broker, pay the commission and savor the time you’ve not wasted with tire kickers. In any event, the documentation suggested above should be provided to the broker.

It’s a beautiful car. Best of luck with the sale.

Reactions: Copenhagen GT

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Stunning car. Why is it titled as a '67?

Our own @MartynL, car guy extraordinaire and famed automotive historian (meaning he's been around for most of automotive history...and made a lot of history himself), suggests consigning it to Fantasy Junction. They are currently brokering a '57 AM DBR2 re-creation for one of our Sarasota car guys, and they have sold other cars for him. Check it out. Your Maserati and the AM would look great together!

P.S. Looking through their info pages, they currently have requests for "any Maserati race car." Fees are better than auction houses.

Last edited:

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks Sinovac, great advice and I have many of those points already put together in a document but will add in your suggestions too.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Stunning car. Why is it titled as a '67?

Our own @MartynL, car guy extraordinaire and famed automotive historian (meaning he's been around for most of automotive history...and made a lot of history himself), suggests consigning it to Fantasy Junction. They are currently brokering a '57 AM DBR2 re-creation for one of our Sarasota car guys, and they have sold other cars for him. Check it out. Your Maserati and the AM would look great together!

P.S. Looking through their info pages, they currently have requests for "any Maserati race car." Fees are better than auction houses.

Thanks Xcentric, Appreciate the recommendation on Fantasy Junction. I think that's the route I should probably take. I've spoken to those guys before and seen their cars. Interestingly, the 1958 Scarab that is currently on their website was mine before selling it to the current owner. I also do like their 1957 DBR2. I think my 450s is very similar to the DBR2 build, its a good comparison. The Maserati 450s is titled as a 1967 due to the Maserati donor car.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Looks like I could fall in love with it in no time, but I suppose getting it registered might get a hassle here in germany. And when bringing that topic up on the next family discussion I might earn some apprehensive looks.

But to be fair I am curious what the Price Range for such a Beauty is.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Hi Brombear, thanks for the comments on the recreation. I know I’m biased but she is pretty special. Definitely a head turner. The prices on these cars are all over the place. I feel this car will end up somewhere between $300-$350k. About what I’ve got into it unfortunately. Thanks