Last edited:
Reactions: Special K

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
They are fascinating though, carbon barrel .

Attachments

• wheel h.jpg
    wheel h.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 30

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I love the title of the article.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Andy are you getting these?

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Insane. I bet they look incredible in person but not my cup of tea.

Vince H

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
Looks pricey.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ironically picked up stock alloys literally today, that I ordered back in March.

Andy are you getting these?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
On a serious note, the more I look, the more amazing the concept it.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
When it comes to wheels, my taste normally runs to the conservative side, but I kind of dig these. That photo- wow, that's a hot car!

Reactions: maxemus and BAT
Mar 28, 2019
I wouldnt be comfortable running 190 mph or on the limit around a high speed corner and only have those thin spokes supporting my life.

D06GT19GT

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2018
Amazing, 3D printing is coming along. Cost, durability are still getting sorted for certain applications but we all know that technology will march on...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Amazing, 3D printing is coming along. Cost, durability are still getting sorted for certain applications but we all know that technology will march on...
3D printing of metal parts will get better with time, but this is not the domain of Moore's Law. Don't expect metal wheels to get significantly cheaper due to 3D printing techniques. I suspect the opposite--it will be much more expensive for marginally lighter weight parts.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Truly fascinating!

I sure hope they got it right on strength and durability.

Potholes seem to be exponentially rising in terms of quantity and wheel-killing ability.

Lost an AMG Mercedes wheel, and I would think that they have top-notch engineering for weight/strength scenarios, but the pothole won in this case. Hope HRE is up to the task.

I guess this means you could make your own design, and HME could make it for you. For a price of course.

Let's see which Forum member does this first.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I wonder how they will perform compared to the OEM CF wheels? That article on the CF wheels from a previous thread was an eye opener for me.

Ed

D06GT19GT

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2018
3D printing of metal parts will get better with time, but this is not the domain of Moore's Law. Don't expect metal wheels to get significantly cheaper due to 3D printing techniques. I suspect the opposite--it will be much more expensive for marginally lighter weight parts.

Agreed, Moore's Law does not apply. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go...I remain cautiously optimistic about the potential 3D Print applications.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
They aren't complicated enough.

Reactions: BAT